Megson's view on the Championship

They tried to keep him because they knew what he could do/was capable of.

Having known that, they settled on a million.

Antoinio, all they knew was he had done well in division one.

To offer a player to them, that Reading did not want in the Championship, for a million seems a bit silly.

What they knew, and what Megson knew, are two different things. Having worked with him briefly at close quarters, and then watched him more closely than I imagine Stoke will have done, he will have said, "Tone, I've seen something in this boy that Reading have missed; absolute steal at £1m."

No doubt in my mind this is what he is alluding to. Could be wrong, may well have called up his mate Mancini and said .....

Also, no doubt in my mind he did out of bitterness towards Mandaric and would have liked to have seen him, not the club, beaten to the signing. Sure he wants club to do well but not under guidance of DJ and MM.

Guest We Shall Overcome

What they knew, and what Megson knew, are two different things. Having worked with him briefly at close quarters, and then watched him more closely than I imagine Stoke will have done, he will have said, "Tone, I've seen something in this boy that Reading have missed; absolute steal at £1m."

No doubt in my mind this is what he is alluding to. Could be wrong, may well have called up his mate Mancini and said .....

Also, no doubt in my mind he did out of bitterness towards Mandaric and would have liked to have seen him, not the club, beaten to the signing. Sure he wants club to do well but not under guidance of DJ and MM.

He's a Ginger thrower end of.

He's clearly annoyed and many people would be if they felt they were unfairly dismissed and the successor was already lined up (although he was in a day after Irvine went). It may distort a persons view a little bit after all this when you see the people behind a club, but from a fans point of view I'd rather he didnt try and undermine the club he supposedly has such a bond with (if that is indeed what he was trying to do). He might have got one over on Milan, but it would also be a slap in the face for all those supporters who went apes$hit when he left.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

It will Briscoe. I just wonder whether we will be as defensively sound this season, we will be better going forward I'm sure but I think we might be open to conceding a few.

It will be the closest Neil will ever get to a Keegan side....... lol

He's clearly annoyed and many people would be if they felt they were unfairly dismissed and the successor was already lined up (although he was in a day after Irvine went). It may distort a persons view a little bit after all this when you see the people behind a club, but from a fans point of view I'd rather he didnt try and undermine the club he supposedly has such a bond with (if that is indeed what he was trying to do). He might have got one over on Milan, but it would also be a slap in the face for all those supporters who went apes$hit when he left.

Spot on, as per.

Thank flip he's not or we'd be looking forward to Walsall or Crewe this weekend.

lol

not so, obviously we could have gone up through the play-off's...

mm's reluctance to fully back megson with the wingers he wanted at the time (marshall and antonio) in my opinion kept us where we were...

with those 2 in the team pre christmas we would have been a massive force to be reckoned with...

with that taken into mind, should we have been the force in the division at christmas then the decision taken by marshall might have been a different one, as we'd have looked nailed on...

with 2 quality wingers on show, and with better performances and results, the attendances would have been 4 to 10k+ higher...

the only thing i can put against megson was the unnecessary alamo type defending of the last 15 minutes of every game...

he had the will, to MAKE HILLSBOROUGH A FORTRESS, he built a side that dominated at set pieces, and whilst there is no doubt dj is a top manager, we will never know who would have done the better job at the level we are now at.

Guest WoodhouseOwl77

I love gary megson. Wish he was till our manager

I really like him a lot but the reality is if he was still our manager, we would be on our way to somewhere like Crawley or Bury on Saturday watching League 1 football!!!