Another winger?

For all I've seen of Mike Jones, he doesn't have single atribute you would want your regular winger to have.

To be fair to Jones, he's started just two games, and only had a smattering of game time since.

The first game he was chucked straight into a big game against Charlton, having only been at the club a day or so. It was a game where nobody played well, or was ever going to be allowed to play in.

His second game was against Hartlepool, where he was fairly anonymous. But yet again, the general team performance that day was pretty awful in the first 45 minutes.

Megson said he needed players to hit the ground running, and couldn't afford to wait for players to get up to speed. But you do wonder, given Jones' past in front of crowds at Bury and Tranmere, whether, if he had been given the opportunity to play in the games at Sflaphorpe and MK Dons, if he would have started to have make an impact as yet.

We'll never know, but I find it very difficult to believe that he's as poor as the first glimpses suggest. The only way he's going to turn around his start at the club, is by playing games.

Guest 1banana2banana

All I can say is, jones is a much better option than prutton in that position. Prutton is perfect midfield backup if lines isn't firing. I really think we will be fine with this squad now, can see us really kicking on with the addition of Antonio.

Mike Jones is not a winger in the JJ or Antonio mode, he is a wide midfield player.

He appears to be reasonably mobile and an hard worker. On the ball he is not going to keep beating full backs but he is good enough to get decent crosses into the box.

We simply have to give him a chance because I am convinced that given a few games he will be a far better option than playing Prutton.

For me Prutton is the new joc. Megson will keep picking him but I cannot see what he brings to the team.

For all I've seen of Mike Jones, he doesn't have single atribute you would want your regular winger to have.

How much of Mike Jones have you seen?

Most of United's attacking play in the first half came via Matty Lowton. How much of Matty Lowton did you see after Mike Jones came on? Very little would be my take on the matter. For that I give much credit to the role played by Mike Jones.

Some supporters found it very difficult to appreciate the role played by JOC when he played out wide. The results since he left suggest we have missed him. I believe there is more to come from Mike Jones in an attacking sense when his confidence builds up. In the meantime, if he comes on and does the job he did on Sunday, that is fine by me.

Ryan Lowe would disagree!

I rate M.Jones, I really, really do, but he doesn't play like a winger, and doesn't have certain qualities you would expect your out and out winger to have. Form it is a plain to se that he is a central midfielder stuck out wide. Now if he was asked to play as a wide midfielder like Prutton was, he would no doubt fit in. He was never like for like replacement for Ben Marshall, but rather someone who can complement team well playing on opposite side from him.

Now we brought in Antonio, who is more in Marshall's mold. and I would love to see M.Jones played in other wide position where he wouldn't be asked to run at full backs and put crosses in, but help us build attacks, keep possession, and get at the edge of oppositions box when appropriate. All while doing his defensive bit without leaving us as stretched in midfield as let's say Antonio and JJ playing together would. Prefferably with Lowe upfront as they proved capable of playing together, and linking up well.

Bottom line is - He aint suited to play the role first Marshall, and then JJ and now Antonio played for us, but rather to improve on what Prutton, and JO'C were asked to do, and we all must agree that they were never asked to play "winger" role although they were played wide in common 4-4-2 formation.

Edited by malek