Sheffield Wednesday Team Photo - 1960/61 Season

isnt that tommy next to mclaren on the right ,had a look at records for that season and it could be brian hill and ralph o'donnell but pics a bit fuzzy so couldnt be sure .

Yeah you're right... could be Brian Hill my memory's a bit fuzzy :biggrin:

Guest alantoft

It's a pity the quality of the pic is so poor. I remember most of the players that played that season but a I'm struggling to recognise them from the pic. Even my hero Ron Springett is not on the pic.

The side of 1960/1961 was the best Wednesday side I have ever seen. I know we finished runners up to Spurs in most seasons we would have enough points to have won the championship.

If someone out there has a better team photo of the 1960/1961 side could they please post it??.

Edited by alantoft

Guest York Owl

It's a pity the quality of the pic is so poor. I remember most of the players that played that season but a I'm struggling to recognise them from the pic. Even my hero Ron Springett is not on the pic.

The side of 1960/1961 was the best Wednesday side I have ever seen. I know we finished runners up to Spurs in most seasons we would have enough points to have won the championship.

If someone out there has a better team photo of the 1960/1961 side could they please post it??.

post-16180-022491200 1306841330_thumb.jp

Google helped me find this one - Bit on the small side but better quality.

Guest alantoft

post-16180-022491200 1306841330_thumb.jp

Google helped me find this one - Bit on the small side but better quality.

Thanks for the great pic. Great to see Springett & Swan on the pic.

I think the pic is from the is from the previous season 1959/60 because Norman Curtis and Redfern Froggatt are on the pic and both finished at the end of that season.

back row .....megson ,hill?,odonnell?,mclaren ,mcanearney ,johnson,ellis

front ....quinn,finney ,froggatt?,kay ,griffin,wilkinson,young ...............i think ..........and alan you have a great hero

Guest alantoft

back row .....megson ,hill?,odonnell?,mclaren ,mcanearney ,johnson,ellis

front ....quinn,finney ,froggatt?,kay ,griffin,wilkinson,young ...............i think ..........and alan you have a great hero

My thoughts were

Back row Megson, O'Donnell, Martin, McLaren, McAnearney, Johnson, Ellis

Front row Quinn, Finney, Fantham? , Kay, Craig, Griffin Wilkinson, Young

dont think its fantham on the front i'm pretty sure its froggatt ,but the 2 on the back i'm only guessing and you could be right ......but whatever what a great team and dont think we'll ever see the like again ...

Guest GrahamHydeFanClub

always thought brian hill died of a heart attack but saw somewhere a few weeks ago that said he committed suicide .anybody know .

Wikipediea says he commited suicide but in the book 'The Wednesday Boys' it says he was found dead as a result of an enlarged heart.

Guest alantoft

dont think its fantham on the front i'm pretty sure its froggatt ,but the 2 on the back i'm only guessing and you could be right ......but whatever what a great team and dont think we'll ever see the like again ...

Froggatt didn't play for Wednesday in the 60/61 season. His final game was on the 30th April 1960 which was the 59/60 season.

no he's 3 from the right front row ..........both me and alantoft agree on that one .

Ah yes.....should have read the other posts.

Back then you generally had the forwards plus the captain on the front row though Keith Ellis, probably cos he was such a big bugger, always seemed to be at the back. I notice there's no Swanny but Ralph O'Donnell (RIP) is so my guess is that the photo was taken when Swanny was out injured and ROD deputised; sort of mid season. We had a guy called Bobby Lodge played a few games round then so could be him?

Just guessing really!