4 POINTS OFF RELEGATION

Guest mrbluesky

We're not going to go down. We only need about 6 points to stay up, and we'll scramble/fluke it from somewhere.

If there were more teams who looked like they might climb out of the relegation zone I'd be more worried. But I think Plymouth and Swindon are gone. Bristol Rovers need to pick up a couple more wins quickly (with a striker like

Hoskins there is a chance they could make a fight of it).

At the moment though, there's only really Walsall making a

fight of it - and there are a few teams between us and the drop.

Interesting theory but massively wrong. I'm sat on the train back from southampton right now. I think we're doomed. When we let the goals in, the players just jogged around like it was two nil to us rather than the other way round. It's too late to change the players , and I honestly think we've had it. And btw for anyone that says this is a good side but it's underperforming - it isn't and it is performing exactly at expectations i.e terrible

The gallows humour is even more depressing than facing the true position. The facts say that we are in a position more or less equal to the previous worst ever - 1975-76. The differences are that then, it was the first spell ever in the third division; now, it is our third spell, the last two having been in the past 10 years, and we no longer have any formal say in the running of the club. So, in a number of ways, it is worse. Being where we are is a disaster, Division 4 doesn't even bear thinking about and would, without any question, be the worst position the club has ever been since 1867. And unless something changes very soon, we are in freefall and heading there. In 75/76, we were saved in the end by our home form which is dramatically different from the current position.

I didn't think I would admit to it but we seriously miss Purse on the field, in spite of his personal playing errors because he clearly led the team much more than was immediately obvious to spectators. And Tudgay, who has received much stick for his lack of goals, really did work hard to bolster the midfield and defence. Both have left holes yet to be filled and we will struggle to get good players to join in the position we are.

I don't agree with our own supporters booing but it is not easy to be excited. Although there were cushions to be thrown in the old days, (I seem to remember that they were no longer available by the mid 1970s), the key difference now is how much supporters pay to watch a match. Entrance used to be similar to the price of going to the cinema - now it is 4/5 times as much. So the crowd was much more on the side of the team when it was relatively cheap to go and the players were paid wages much more like a normal person; now it is expensive entertainment and the crowd is expecting to be entertained - remember many of the players are being paid entertainer's wages, more than 10 times what for many of us would still be an extremely good salary. So when the players complain, they do deserve respect and support from their own supporters but it's not unreasonable to point out that they are now paid handsomely and need to be prepared to take the stick.

Edited by Andrew Robinson

It's unlikely that we'll go down.

When we score first, as we have done 17 times already this season, we win.

I understand people's concerns given 3 defeats on the bounce, but 2 of those were against 2 of the best teams in the division. Peterborough beat Carlisle 6-0 last weekend (and missed 2 penalties) and Southampton have only conceded 10 at home all season. They are top 4 sides.

It's been less than 4 weeks since we drew with Bournemouth and beat Oldham and Carlisle. We probably need to average around 1 point per match from now on to be safe, with a very decent set of fixtures remaining (other than Brighton away).

We are 16th - that's midtable. There are 8 teams below us who have all been worse than us so far this season. The bottom 4 have all played more games than us. For 5 of those teams to not only catch us but overtake us, without us overtaking anyone ourselves is pretty slim.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just unlikely. One leading bookmaker is offering odds of 22/1 for us to be relegated, about the same odds as they give for Spurs to win the Champions League.

All I'm trying to do is highlight how ridiculous statements like 'We are going down' actually are, as if it is an inevitability. People who are coming out with these things are either not looking objectively, have a hidden agenda or are just being drama queens to get attention.

Yes, this season's been very disappointing on the pitch, but some people seriously need to grow a pair, just like some of our players do.

As someone has already said, now is not the time to panic.

food for thought here,The last time when we were in a similar predicament as we find ourselves in right now, was back in the 2003/04 season where we finished 16th in league 1.The following season 2004/05,we won the div 1 play-off final in cardiff by beating Hartlepool 4-2 with 41,000 loyal fans in attendence.

food for thought here,The last time when we were in a similar predicament as we find ourselves in right now, was back in the 2003/04 season where we finished 16th in league 1.The following season 2004/05,we won the div 1 play-off final in cardiff by beating Hartlepool 4-2 with 41,000 loyal fans in attendence.

Corrected for you 16,000 loyal fans in attendance