WAGES

Business Life 2007 shows average football salaries as below (haven't got anything more recent to hand I'm afraid);

Premier League - £676k/year

Championship - £196/year

League One - £68k/year

League Two - £49k/year

I would have thought that in the last few years the Premiership figures have been skewed by Man City's spending.

I would have thought that in the last few years the Premiership figures have been skewed by Man City's spending.

Certainly would expect that. Did have a look at lunch for more up-to-date figures online, but can't find any. Wouldn't be a surprise to see the Premier League topping £1m/year average given Man City's spending and the general increase in wages - £100k a week would have been for the top talent back in 2007 where those figures are from, now £100k a week just seems the norm for a first team player!!

Certainly would expect that. Did have a look at lunch for more up-to-date figures online, but can't find any. Wouldn't be a surprise to see the Premier League topping £1m/year average given Man City's spending and the general increase in wages - £100k a week would have been for the top talent back in 2007 where those figures are from, now £100k a week just seems the norm for a first team player!!

It's obscene in my opinion.

I have no problem with pro athletes being well paid, but some of the amounts being thrown around are simply obscene.

It's also a bit of a farce when many of these wages are being paid by clubs that cannot afford it.

It's obscene in my opinion.

I have no problem with pro athletes being well paid, but some of the amounts being thrown around are simply obscene.

It's also a bit of a farce when many of these wages are being paid by clubs that cannot afford it.

Problem is you look at other forms of entertainment - Hollywood stars for instance - who get paid just as well as footballers. I think it was Tom Cruise who was reported recently as earning a minimum of £5m a movie - no idea what the standard time is to make a movie, call it 6 months. That is £5m for 6 months from just one film, not forgetting others he might be in. Same goes for music stars - read a few weeks ago that in the 1990's, Noel Gallagher made on average £8m a year (nearly 15 years ago now!) for recording a CD and doing 3 months worth of tours.

If the entertainment business is big enough, the stars of that entertainment can demand these crazy sums of money.

Problem is you look at other forms of entertainment - Hollywood stars for instance - who get paid just as well as footballers. I think it was Tom Cruise who was reported recently as earning a minimum of £5m a movie - no idea what the standard time is to make a movie, call it 6 months. That is £5m for 6 months from just one film, not forgetting others he might be in. Same goes for music stars - read a few weeks ago that in the 1990's, Noel Gallagher made on average £8m a year (nearly 15 years ago now!) for recording a CD and doing 3 months worth of tours.

If the entertainment business is big enough, the stars of that entertainment can demand these crazy sums of money.

The economics are different though. Cruise may get GBP 5mm a movie (though it's probably higher - especially if Julia Roberts gets her famously reported $20mm a flick). But that movie will almost certainly pull in anywhere north of $150mm. So his fee is clearly affordable and in economic terms - more than justified.

Can you really say the same for a premiership journeyman on obscene wages - or even our own Captain Fantastic on a much more modest salary?

Football is a bubble waiting to burst - wages outstrip turnover (or are very close to doing so) at too many clubs. We all know they can't live on the never, never for ever.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

The economics are different though. Cruise may get GBP 5mm a movie (though it's probably higher - especially if Julia Roberts gets her famously reported $20mm a flick). But that movie will almost certainly pull in anywhere north of $150mm. So his fee is clearly affordable and in economic terms - more than justified.

Can you really say the same for a premiership journeyman on obscene wages - or even our own Captain Fantastic on a much more modest salary?

Football is a bubble waiting to burst - wages outstrip turnover (or are very close to doing so) at too many clubs. We all know they can't live on the never, never for ever.

This was going to be my reply as well!

The point is there are a lot of clubs heavily in debt, operating at a loss and paying average players big money.

Top Premiership footballers like Wayne Rooney and Gareth Barry are avoiding millions of pounds in tax - and it's all legal.

They are using complex tax avoidance schemes that allow them to pay as little as two per cent on the earnings.

Manchester United star Rooney has saved almost £600,000 over the past two years by using the tax loophole.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347677/Top-footballers-like-Wayne-Rooney-dodge-millions-tax-cashing-loophole.html#ixzz1HBKBWtP4

2% tax wee wee taking b******s