Big Number 4 yesterday for Orient

When the transfer of Wood was first mooted it was speculated he would fetch around £1.5m

I knew Roger Johnson was available for £250k, Williamson was available for £100k, Clark Carlisle had gone for free, Richard Keogh was available for free - if i knew this then i'm pretty sure the club should know this - apart from Carlisle i recommended the other 3 to championship clubs

I don't know how much Dann was available for but was on a short term contract at Walsall so would have been cheap - probably £100k max? And was well worth the punt

Then there was Tony Craig at Millwall who would have been available for around £200k - before they offered him a long term deal - not only a decent centre back but also a very good left back

if dann was 100k how come he went for a round a million ......

if dann was 100k how come he went for a round a million ......

Clutching at straws here a bit mate - disregard the other 4 and focus on one of them?

But read it again - Dann was on a SHORT TERM contract at Walsall having been loaned out to non league clubs - he came back and he was playing so well that they eventually offered him a longer deal (3 years?) - so in the meantime he was available for next to nothing.

Scram

Who would you recommend as decent full backs at the moment that if we do get some money would be worth a punt similar on the line of the centre halfs you mentioned?

Tony Craig for left back but his price may be too much now

I would have said Matty Phillips but he's now in the premier (been going on about him for nearly 3 years) - and he now seems to have settled into right wing/midfield - either way he'd have been a brilliant signing for either position

There's a central midfielder at Bury - Jones - he is older and i can't decide if he's one that has slipped through the net and worth a punt?

I'm not out and about the grounds as much these last 2 years so have lost touch a bit - see a lot of stuff on TV and hear stuff from others - but i'd love to get out and about again

ben chorley released by arsenal ,contract terminated by milton keynes ,loaned to gillingham with a view to a permanent signing not taken up ,signed for tranmere couldnt get a regular spot in the side so left and signed for orient ...... yes sounds like he's the type of player we need

He looked better than that!

My dads a Leyton Orient fan and i have seen Chorley play on numerous occasions.

He is extremely dominant in the air and good in one on one situations he is also extremely vocal.

However his distribution is usally very poor and he lacks any pace whatsoever.

A usefull League One defender but certainly not a player we should be getting excited about.

Adam chambers who we had on loan a couple of years back is probably their best player by some way make of that what you will

He looked better than that!

Sometimes that is exactly the type of player that clubs need to take a chance on - i mentioned Richard Keogh earlier and he did the rounds after being released by Bristol City - he was a good player who needed a break - and now he's back in the championship and looking decent.

Sometimes players at lower levels are absolute stand outs imo - like Roger Johnson, but it took time for any club to take a chance on him

But with most lower league players it's more about backing your hunches and seeing if they have transferrable attributes - i think defenders are easier to predict than forwards and to an extent midfielders though - but again you will get the occasional stand out - like Phillips

Clutching at straws here a bit mate - disregard the other 4 and focus on one of them?

But read it again - Dann was on a SHORT TERM contract at Walsall having been loaned out to non league clubs - he came back and he was playing so well that they eventually offered him a longer deal (3 years?) - so in the meantime he was available for next to nothing.

know what your saying but when you got nothing to spend how can be expected to gamble on 100k or 250k on players who may or may not be successful and wednesday's track record over the years on buying young lower divisin players aint good .........thinking warboys,downes,taylor ,shakespeare,collins ,watts ,booth ,holt , clarke , donaldson ,billington, mckeever etc etc trying hard to think of one thats been a success....hirsty and errr

know what your saying but when you got nothing to spend how can be expected to gamble on 100k or 250k on players who may or may not be successful and wednesday's track record over the years on buying young lower divisin players aint good .........thinking warboys,downes,taylor ,shakespeare,collins ,watts ,booth ,holt , clarke , donaldson ,billington, mckeever etc etc trying hard to think of one thats been a success....hirsty and errr

Nonsense! if you can't buy obvious class you need to recognize it where no one else did, or gamble where no one else wont.

Still you need damn good scouting network to do it right.

But i was talking about if we'd sold Wood for the quoted £1.5m - then we could have spent some money and banked some money - and still strengthened the squad quite a bit

And Johnson was never a risk for a CCC club - i'm surprised he didn't go straight to the premier tbh

It's about having a scouting procedure that can identify players - many clubs do it so why can't we? And it's not just about money - i know some scouts who work for nothing because they love the game - and get a small percentage of any deal being done - and i mean small!

I'm not talking about me but take somebody like Malek - why not get in touch and ask him to recommend a bunch of names from his neck of the woods - then run some gen on those players and maybe pay for a flight out there for somebody to take a look - it costs almost nithing but can literally generate millions - or even just supply some half decent players for the team

We have fans all over the place - Belgrade, Scotland, America, Aussie etc that could potentially be our eyes and ears for no outlay - and little further outlay if any recommendations come through

Whats the worst that could happen?

We just don't seem to wanna be proactive in any way - and we need to be smarter than the competition or we'll keep losing out

Out of all Leyton Orient players I was most impressed with that Cox fella. Really handy right winger.

My dad mentioned him during the game. We also got speaking to a couple of Orient fans after the game and mentioned this to them. They had enjoyed their visit to Hillsborough and were impressed with the stadium and thought it was better than MK Dons and the Walkers having a better atmosphere which was surprising as there wasn't much to shout about on Saturday.