Big Number 4 yesterday for Orient

We have missed so many tricks with centre backs over the last few years i sometimes wonder what our scouts are actually doing

I remember when Richard Wood was first mooted for sale and i named at least 5 centre backs who collectively could have been bought for half Wood's fee - and every one better than Wood

But the tired (and wrong) "you don't get anywhere by selling your best players"n tripe was trotted out

When that's exactly how most clubs get anywhere....

We have missed so many tricks with centre backs over the last few years i sometimes wonder what our scouts are actually doing

I remember when Richard Wood was first mooted for sale and i named at least 5 centre backs who collectively could have been bought for half Wood's fee - and every one better than Wood

But the tired (and wrong) "you don't get anywhere by selling your best players"n tripe was trotted out

Agreed with all this.

Chorley is actually good League One central defender, but nothing more.

Him impressing so many of our fans have more to do with quality of our own defenders, than anything else...

Agreed with all this.

Chorley is actually good League One central defender, but nothing more.

Him impressing so many of our fans have more to do with quality of our own defenders, than anything else...

Did you get to the match yesterday?

ben chorley released by arsenal ,contract terminated by milton keynes ,loaned to gillingham with a view to a permanent signing not taken up ,signed for tranmere couldnt get a regular spot in the side so left and signed for orient ...... yes sounds like he's the type of player we need

who are the 5 ?and how do you know what they would cost ?and what was woods transfer fee thought that was undisclosed .....

who are the 5 ?and how do you know what they would cost ?and what was woods transfer fee thought that was undisclosed .....

Mike Williamson

Scott Dann

Roger Johnson

All lower league players who have made the step up (through the Championship may I add) to become good steady Premier League players.

There are good centre backs in the lower leagues if you've got an eye for talent, they can be picked up reasonably cheap, improve your team and have a good re-sale value (i.e. make a decent profit if sold on).

Mike Williamson

Scott Dann

Roger Johnson

All lower league players who have made the step up (through the Championship may I add) to become good steady Premier League players.

There are good centre backs in the lower leagues if you've got an eye for talent, they can be picked up reasonably cheap, improve your team and have a good re-sale value (i.e. make a decent profit if sold on).

agree with what you say but the examples would have been way out of our price range .....dann left walsall for around a million, ,johnson went from wycombe to cardiff for 275k., and williamson went torquay to southampton for 100k as a 18 year old and never played a game in 4 years something we could never afford to gamble on ......

Their midfield looked lively as well compared with Potter and O'Connor.

But if they are better than ours, why are they 23rd and we are 5th?

exactly, lets get things into perspective here, we've been baba, lets not say anyone looking to have a dominant game against us is a good player, if we signed everyone who looked good against us this season we'd end up with 100+ players...

When the transfer of Wood was first mooted it was speculated he would fetch around £1.5m

I knew Roger Johnson was available for £250k, Williamson was available for £100k, Clark Carlisle had gone for free, Richard Keogh was available for free - if i knew this then i'm pretty sure the club should know this - apart from Carlisle i recommended the other 3 to championship clubs

I don't know how much Dann was available for but was on a short term contract at Walsall so would have been cheap - probably £100k max? And was well worth the punt

Then there was Tony Craig at Millwall who would have been available for around £200k - before they offered him a long term deal - not only a decent centre back but also a very good left back