Pre-Season Tour Abroad

The need to deliver maximum Season Ticket sales next year got me thinking about Pre-Season and the pro's and con's of a similar tour set-up like we had to Malta last year. I'd imagine this year's Pre-Season arrangements are already being negotiated if not finalised so it may not be possible to change things so late in the day but I definitely think it's worth a passing thought. Maybe AI already has firm ideas on what he wants from next preseason and what sort of set-up he is looking for.

Anyhow my main point is: Would individual fans/their families be forced to choose financially between going away for a week to watch the lads play a few friendlies abroad and then attending the odd game back home when the season starts, or not going away with the team on a weeks holiday and being able to afford a season ticket?

Hypothetically, would the club sell more ST's if there wasn't a pre-season tour abroad?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who went away to Malta in the summer if they have a ST for this season and if this is a dilemma they were faced with. Or if there wasn't a pre-season tour abroad would you have booked a summer holiday abroad in any case?

Another important point would be that after the lads having a month off from playing and training, most going abroad with their families anyway during this time, given the shambles that this season has been, combined with any ill-feeling the fans have about a potential relegation (escape), would it be beneficial to give them a week in the sun together with the fans to play a few meaningless games, splash around on the beach and have a BBQ?

I'm sorry if I'm being facetious, negative, seems like I'm FUDDing or however you want to put it but I would sooner have whatever remnants are left of this current squad experience some tough love by AI either keeping the players here in rainy old England training six days a week or take them to some un-luxurious, back to basics, grin and bare it sh1thole and have them do physically and mentally demanding exercises that instil some fight, purpose and camaraderie amongst them. Someone earlier in the week mentioned about old school managers in the past taking the players out of the comfort zones to do 'normal manual working' jobs for a day, should the recent kind of non-performances continue I would definitely endorse that.

But back to the point.. Looking back after the Malta tour this year, everyone was positive and complimentary about what a great experience it was and great value for money. In this respect it was a real success and strengthened the club brand of being family/community orientated. I'm sure that the percentage of revenue that Wednesday received from the tour packages offset the cost of taking the players there too if not provided some additional income for the club too.

It's just, given that we are where we are, is it the best thing to do in current circumstances?

Very interested to hear everybody’s thoughts on this no matter how supportive or critical..

Most people on the pre season tour will be season ticket holders.

Any that aren't will have gone as their main summer holiday, which is something they would do regardless, or don't have season tickets due to work commitments or where they live (non financial reasons).

I don't really think it would impact whatsoever on season tickets by not having a tour, as anyone who would have gone on the tour would just go on a different holiday.

The need to deliver maximum Season Ticket sales next year got me thinking about Pre-Season and the pro's and con's of a similar tour set-up like we had to Malta last year. I'd imagine this year's Pre-Season arrangements are already being negotiated if not finalised so it may not be possible to change things so late in the day but I definitely think it's worth a passing thought. Maybe AI already has firm ideas on what he wants from next preseason and what sort of set-up he is looking for.

Anyhow my main point is: Would individual fans/their families be forced to choose financially between going away for a week to watch the lads play a few friendlies abroad and then attending the odd game back home when the season starts, or not going away with the team on a weeks holiday and being able to afford a season ticket?

Hypothetically, would the club sell more ST's if there wasn't a pre-season tour abroad?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who went away to Malta in the summer if they have a ST for this season and if this is a dilemma they were faced with. Or if there wasn't a pre-season tour abroad would you have booked a summer holiday abroad in any case?

Another important point would be that after the lads having a month off from playing and training, most going abroad with their families anyway during this time, given the shambles that this season has been, combined with any ill-feeling the fans have about a potential relegation (escape), would it be beneficial to give them a week in the sun together with the fans to play a few meaningless games, splash around on the beach and have a BBQ?

I'm sorry if I'm being facetious, negative, seems like I'm FUDDing or however you want to put it but I would sooner have whatever remnants are left of this current squad experience some tough love by AI either keeping the players here in rainy old England training six days a week or take them to some un-luxurious, back to basics, grin and bare it sh1thole and have them do physically and mentally demanding exercises that instil some fight, purpose and camaraderie amongst them. Someone earlier in the week mentioned about old school managers in the past taking the players out of the comfort zones to do 'normal manual working' jobs for a day, should the recent kind of non-performances continue I would definitely endorse that.

But back to the point.. Looking back after the Malta tour this year, everyone was positive and complimentary about what a great experience it was and great value for money. In this respect it was a real success and strengthened the club brand of being family/community orientated. I'm sure that the percentage of revenue that Wednesday received from the tour packages offset the cost of taking the players there too if not provided some additional income for the club too.

It's just, given that we are where we are, is it the best thing to do in current circumstances?

Very interested to hear everybody’s thoughts on this no matter how supportive or critical..

Perhaps thet could go camping on the moors around sheffield ,bring back Tony Toms from the 70,s.(if hes still alive),he was an ex-marine i think.some of them could do with hard physical training

Perhaps they could go camping on the moors around sheffield ,bring back Tony Toms from the 70,s.(if hes still alive),he was an ex-marine i think.some of them could do with hard physical training Edited by brucew

Guest intercity0wl

Most people on the pre season tour will be season ticket holders.

Any that aren't will have gone as their main summer holiday, which is something they would do regardless, or don't have season tickets due to work commitments or where they live (non financial reasons).

I don't really think it would impact whatsoever on season tickets by not having a tour, as anyone who would have gone on the tour would just go on a different holiday.

This.

Guest Manwithastick

i would imagine that, even though interraction with fans is important, AI may well want to get the players away from all distractions and beast the rumbleers to fitness levels the like of which SWFC hasn't seen in a long while.

this years pre season should be 100% about what is best for the squad.

and as for Tony Toms - very much alive and well - was at a Hirstys bar in 2009, has a book (coming) out (he's bodyguarded for Madonna amongst others) and stole the show!