Can you name these Wednesday legends.

On 06/12/2023 at 14:56, REDOWL said:

Two Wednesday legends,with over seven hundred and fifty appearances between them,share two significant events together. One of these is football related whilst the other is nothing to do with football. 

Alan Finney and Albert Quixall. Their combined appearances for Wednesday is over 750. They made their debuts together for the Owls and did their National Service in the same military unit.

• Like 2

Just now, Sheff6 said:

Alan Finney and Albert Quixall. Their combined appearances for Wednesday is over 750. They made their debuts together for the Owls and did their National Service in the same military unit.

Evening mate,spot on .

WAWAW 

• Like 1

On 17/12/2023 at 23:45, Sheff6 said:

Thanks mate 👍. I never saw Quixall play for Wednesday but saw Alan Finney play as a winger for the Owls lots of times in the 60s. 

UTO!

Hi 

Bit late on this one, sorry.

Same as me, was just a bit late to catch Quixall who my Dad idolised and talked of constantly.

Alan Finney and Derek Wilkinson were our regular wingers when I started going.

Keith Ellis at centre forward and my all time favourite Johnny Fantham at no 10.

I think it was Bobby Craig at no 8 but my memory is that that was about the only position where there was occasionally a different player.  Squad rotation ??  What a joke ?

Ron in goal then Peter Johnson and Don Megson .

Tommy McAnearney, Peter Swan and Tony Kay in the middle.

What a team 

Go to the match, enjoy the game, come home, get a Green’Un and move on to the next match.

No wall to wall tv coverage 

No deliberating, criticising and over analysing for days no matter what the result.

That’s when it really was ‘ the beautiful game ‘

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Hi 

Same as me, was just a bit late to catch Quixall who my Dad idolised and talked of constantly.

Keith Ellis at centre forward and my all time favourite Johnny Fantham at no 10.

I think it was Bobby Craig at no 8 but my memory is that that was about the only position where there was occasionally a different player.  Squad rotation ??  What a joke ?

What a team 

Go to the match, enjoy the game, come home, get a Green’Un and move on to the next match.

No deliberating, criticising and over analysing for days no matter what the result.

I really enjoy strolling along Memory Lane ,I usually end up surrounded by old programmes,books and other memorabilia.  My first game was in 1963 and my Dad took me in the North Stand or "Cantilever" as it was also known. 

20230917_122049 (257x400).jpg

20230917_122128 (400x297).jpg

6 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

I really enjoy strolling along Memory Lane ,I usually end up surrounded by old programmes,books and other memorabilia.  My first game was in 1963 and my Dad took me in the North Stand or "Cantilever" as it was also known. 

20230917_122049 (257x400).jpg

20230917_122128 (400x297).jpg

What’s uncanny, Red, is that I started in 61 and there’s only 4 players on that team sheet that weren’t on my first team sheet back then .

Eustace had taken Kay’s place , Colin Dobson was a great replacement for Finney

Johnny Quinn was in at no 8 and Bronco was in at Centre Forward .

What a player he was ! Strong , skilful and a natural goal scorer.

In my time as a supporter the best I’ve seen in blue and white . We can only wonder what would have happened to his career and Wednesdays fortunes if it hadn’t have been for ‘ you know what ‘

Thanks for starting these threads off , mate.  There’s still a handful of us ‘ gimmers ‘ who are contributing.

Its great having your memory tested and being able to relieve the days when it was all so different.

Incidentally , anyone know what to happened to Dunsby? 

• Like 1

Just now, Ibbo48 said:

What’s uncanny, Red, is that I started in 61 and there’s only 4 players on that team sheet that weren’t on my first team sheet back then .

Eustace had taken Kay’s place , Colin Dobson was a great replacement for Finney

Johnny Quinn was in at no 8 and Bronco was in at Centre Forward .

What a player he was ! Strong , skilful and a natural goal scorer.

In my time as a supporter the best I’ve seen in blue and white . We can only wonder what would have happened to his career and Wednesdays fortunes if it hadn’t have been for ‘ you know what ‘

Thanks for starting these threads off , mate.  There’s still a handful of us ‘ gimmers ‘ who are contributing.

Its great having your memory tested and being able to relieve the days when it was all so different.

Incidentally , anyone know what to happened to Dunsby? 

IMG_20231125_161018.jpg

On 28/02/2024 at 11:01, Ibbo48 said:

Hi 

What a team 

Yep all of that resonates with me. I remember my maternal Grandparents and my Mom and Dad being really upset when Quixall left Wednesday for Man Utd. My Grandparents lived on Meynell Rd on Parsons Cross and they knew Albert's family and Albert in particular, because he went to the same school (Meynell Rd Primary) as my Uncle, my Mom's brother.

My Uncle was a few years younger than Albert but they 'overlapped' by a couple of years at Meynell Road. As a youngster, my uncle was full of stories about how brilliant this older lad, called Albert, was at football at school. Everyone was amazed by his footballing abilities, even at Primary School level; adults and children alike.  There was an expectation he was going to go on to great things in football and so he did.

My uncle was amazing in other ways though. He was outstanding at Maths and went on to Firth Park Grammar School, then on to University in London to do an hon's degree then a PhD in Maths. He emigrated to the US and became Head of the Maths Dept. (or Math as they call it) at Nth Carolina State University.

He never forgot about Albert though and he always felt proud of the fact that he knew him personally, albeit in childhood. So I just wish I'd been old enough to have seen my family's idol play for Wednesday, but like you, I just missed out by a year or two. As you say, what a team at that time, when life was uncomplicated by today's standards, the Green 'Un was in print and the future looked good for the Owls at Hillsborough. Keep the faith though; what was so in the past, will be so again.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Sheff6 said:

Yep all of that resonates with me. I remember my maternal Grandparents and my Mom and Dad being really upset when Quixall left Wednesday for Man Utd. My Grandparents lived on Meynell Rd on Parsons Cross and they knew Albert's family and Albert in particular, because he went to the same school (Meynell Rd Primary) as my Uncle, my Mom's brother.

My Uncle was a few years younger than Albert but they 'overlapped' by a couple of years at Meynell Road. As a youngster, my uncle was full of stories about how brilliant this older lad, called Albert, was at football at school. Everyone was amazed by his footballing abilities, even at Primary School level; adults and children alike.  There was an expectation he was going to go on to great things in football and so he did.

My uncle was amazing in other ways though. He was outstanding at Maths and went on to Firth Park Grammar School, then on to University in London to do an hon's degree then a PhD in Maths. He emigrated to the US and became Head of the Maths Dept. (or Math as they call it) at Nth Carolina State University.

He never forgot about Albert though and he always felt proud of the fact that he knew him personally, albeit in childhood. So I just wish I'd been old enough to have seen my family's idol play for Wednesday, but like you, I just missed out by a year or two. As you say, what a team at that time, when life was uncomplicated by today's standards, the Green 'Un was in print and the future looked good for the Owls at Hillsborough. Keep the faith though; what was so in the past, will be so again.

Amazing mate,that is both family and Wednesday history that means so much,especially to yourself and your family.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Amazing mate,that is both family and Wednesday history that means so much,especially to yourself and your family.  Thanks for sharing. 

I’ve always thought this site would benefit from having a Wednesday History  and Chat section where older posters can share this sort of thing 

There’ll soon be no one left who remembers the Quixalls and the Froggats

and the clubs proud history 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

I’ve always thought this site would benefit from having a Wednesday History  and Chat section where older posters can share this sort of thing 

There’ll soon be no one left who remembers the Quixalls and the Froggats

and the clubs proud history 

There are so many Wednesday fans on Owlstalk with  memories of days gone by,I find them all fascinating. 

• Like 1

As I started watching Wednesday in 1962 I must have seen Alan Finney many times though to be honest I can't remember him. But my dad used to love Albert Quixall with his hitched up shorts which made him look even younger than he was.

My dad's real football hero, however, was undoubtedly Derek Dooley. He used to tell me how he'd get the ball 30 yards or so out and would simply go route one for goal irrespective of whether defenders were in the way or not. He would have to take some fearful punishment as a result but my dad used to love the way opposition players would just bounce off him and then he'd hammer it towards goal as hard as he could.

I remember going to Hillsborough once, must have been late 1960's, and we were walking along Parkside Road/Catch Bar Lane towards the Leppings Lane end where we'd enter to get into the North Stand. Back then Dooley was head of the Development Fund and he had a little office on concrete stilts at the back of the South Stand. My dad nudged me to look towards it and I could see a guy in there with vivid ginger hair. "That's Dooley" said my dad; it really shocked me because he wasn't really the sort to get misty eyed about anything least of all a footballer but I could see the effect just a glimpse of his idol had on him.    

• Love 1

2 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

As I started watching Wednesday in 1962 I must have seen Alan Finney many times though to be honest I can't remember him. But my dad used to love Albert Quixall with his hitched up shorts which made him look even younger than he was.

My dad's real football hero, however, was undoubtedly Derek Dooley. He used to tell me how he'd get the ball 30 yards or so out and would simply go route one for goal irrespective of whether defenders were in the way or not. He would have to take some fearful punishment as a result but my dad used to love the way opposition players would just bounce off him and then he'd hammer it towards goal as hard as he could.

I remember going to Hillsborough once, must have been late 1960's, and we were walking along Parkside Road/Catch Bar Lane towards the Leppings Lane end where we'd enter to get into the North Stand. Back then Dooley was head of the Development Fund and he had a little office on concrete stilts at the back of the South Stand. My dad nudged me to look towards it and I could see a guy in there with vivid ginger hair. "That's Dooley" said my dad; it really shocked me because he wasn't really the sort to get misty eyed about anything least of all a footballer but I could see the effect just a glimpse of his idol had on him.    

Yes . The two names that were constantly spoken in our house 

Dooley and Quixall.

Dad idolised them both .

He told similar stories of Dooley and defenders bouncing off him and just flattening goalkeepers 

His goal scoring feats were the stuff of legend . All very Roy of the Rovers !!

Dad too was a Development Fund agent and used to pop in that little office with his bundle of books and bag of cash 

He’d chat to Derek and Dennis Woodhead  like they were lifelong friends even though they’d no idea who he was .

Great early memories of a club you felt you were genuinely part of 

• Love 1

On the "Wednesday Legends " theme these three made a significant contribution to us during their time here. I suppose it's an opinion on who was and wasnt a legend but each one (and others)  gave their all one way or another.

Taken from various programme features in 1990 and make interesting reading I thought.

IMG_20240324_102355 (405x600).jpg

20240324_100900 (414x600).jpg

20240324_101936 (405x600).jpg

Well Red, im not sure Colin Prophett would ever be in anyone’s list of legends nor Sam Ellis 

Whole hearted players no doubt 

Sam was quite ungainly and suffered in comparison to Vic Mobley who was more  of a classy player

I just felt that Prophett wasn’t a very good footballer 

I’m sure others may disagree .

Jimmy Mac was a neat little player but I was never sure his heart was in that blue and white shirt 

Just my opinions, as always 

• Like 1

that must be the first time vic mobley and classy have been used in the same sentence .......i agree with jimmy mac though he always seemed to  be hankering  for a move after he played for scotland in 67 .....

22 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Jimmy Mac was a neat little player but I was never sure his heart was in that blue and white shirt

He was my favourite player of that era but never really fitted in with the disciplined approach Alan Brown brought to the club. Whilst he had a decent career I don't think joining us did him any real favours. But there was a general falling out with the club with a fair few of the players after Alan Brown left in Feb 1968 and particularly after they promoted Jack Marshall to be his replacement. The irony was that two of Wednesday's best ever performances came with Marshall in charge.    

• Like 2

12 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Heres three more to roll back the years,they all bring the memories back. 

IMG_20240324_111543 (412x600).jpg

20240324_110838 (407x600).jpg

20240324_110436 (402x600).jpg

Feels like 3 different periods in the turnaround of the club.

Sadly I identify Jimmy Mullen with the dark days . Another trier and committed player but he was lacking  in some depts for me .

Shelts is from a time when it was all starting to come together.

It was getting to be fun to watch again 

Really liked him and cant think of any bad performances from him 

I guess the same applies to Lawrie

An unlikely footballer but always Mr Dependable. Always appeared to be 20 years older than the rest of the team .

Good days were back though 

torry,  I guess classy wasn’t the correct word to use with regard Vic in the previous post . I was just trying to draw a comparison with Sam that’s all 

• Like 1