1990 World Cup 'Don't mention the penalties!'

Otley Owl

I enjoyed it too.

Not sure the journalist is particularly well informed.

To describe Gazza as the only ‘supremely gifted’ footballer seems a bit off.

In my (perhaps biased) opinion Chrissy Waddle fits that profile.

The comments are probably more interesting than the article.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

I enjoyed it too.

Not sure the journalist is particularly well informed.

To describe Gazza as the only ‘supremely gifted’ footballer seems a bit off.

In my (perhaps biased) opinion Chrissy Waddle fits that profile.

The comments are probably more interesting than the article.

Yeah started to read the comments, going to have another look now. 

agree about waddle!

1990 World Cup and England does my nut in 

Greatest World Cup many England Fans of a certain age have lived .......................do me a favour revisionist crap more like 

England stank the place out until the Semi-Final ironically the game that knocked them out 

Turgid group games where we limped into the knockout stages 

First knockout game England given a footballing lesson by Enzo Scifo until David Platt scored the goal of the tournament 

A scrappy dirty game against Cameroon 

Then the semi final where England at least turned up and put in a decent performance and only a cruelly deflected Andy Brehme goal stopping them making the final 

Personally i'm sick to death of hearing how great England were at Italia 90 because we weren't 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, squonk said:

Greatest World Cup many England Fans of a certain age have lived .......................do me a favour revisionist crap more like 

England stank the place out until the Semi-Final ironically the game that knocked them out 

First knockout game England given a footballing lesson by Enzo Scifo until David Platt scored the goal of the tournament 

Then the semi final where England at least turned up and put in a decent performance and only a cruelly deflected Andy Brehme goal stopping them making the final 

Personally i'm sick to death of hearing how great England were at Italia 90 because we weren't 

Agree with that.

Disappointing group games, lucky against Belgium and I can recall clearly being on the edge of my seat for the quarter-final and thinking "why are we making such a meal of this?"

Then unlucky v. Germany.

Oh well.

9 hours ago, squonk said:

Cannot disagree with that, but for me at my age it was the first real World Cup that gripped me, got home from school to watch the matches weather great, so for me great childhood memories.

For the semi final I was at greta cottage with school wherever that place was 😀

Just watched this the Yugoslavia story was sad with what happened after, with the player who missed the penalty feeling some guilt of the civil war that followed and the coach who died 2 days after the interview