League 1 next year

23 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

I think most of us are basing our flag waving on what has gone before Northern. Apart from a run of mainly draws and the first few games of the season, we’ve been far too inconsistent and this manager proves, week after week, that he’s not up to the job. 

It’s starting to look unlikely that DC will fire him anytime soon, with the window closing soon, but you never know with DC, so I live in hope. This run of home games needs to see us get on the front foot and put some pressure on those above us, otherwise we will just finish upper mid at best. 

And despite all this we are still very close to the playoffs.

We've just got 2 of our most important players back from injury/ suspension and we've got a new cb with championship experience waiting to come into the team. Plus hopefully another cb still to sign.

I get this has been a frustrating season so far but I cannot understand why anyone would be giving up right now.

For me, living in Suffolk I’ve got a lot of Ipswich supporting mates and I think their situation this season has been similar to ours in some ways.  Manager rebuilding in close season, big player turnover and expectations of a promotion challenge. 
I know they have had new owners which we haven’t, but when it was clear things weren’t going as expected, they acted quickly and made a change.

obviously is still too early to say if it will pay off for them, but at least they took decisive action.

I feel we are at a similar stage now where we need to make a decision.  
Paul Cook said about Ipswich, they only thing that is consistent is our inconsistency - sound like any other team we know? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Win a couple of games more and we’ll find ourselves in the play offs. Aka it isn’t basically over.

It’s much easier to lose a couple of games more than the others than it is to win.

If 2 of the others get 20 points from the next 10 games.. what’s more likely? Us getting 14 points or 26 points? 

We aren’t getting 6 points more than the others with this manager 

1 hour ago, GermanBird said:

We lost, but we played much better than in many other games. No need to give up hope

Far to early to write off the playoffs.

I was working yesterday and missed the game so I’ll take your word for it that we played well.

We were excellent against Plymouth and really hoped we’d turned a corner, but the issue is that we failed to win consecutive games again and we threw away points from a winning position again. It feels like they’re the only two things we’ve been able to do consistently this season. 

I really hope we’re able to finish in the top 6 and go back up, but I’m just not convinced that we can go on a run of winning the majority of the games we play, which is what we need to do. I hope I’m wrong, and we’ve got a great opportunity to put some good results together with so many home games coming up from next weekend… but we don’t half make life difficult for ourselves 

7 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Weird to see so many waving the white flag when we are only 3 points off the playoffs if we win our game in hand.

Still everything to play for this season.

Not weird at all mate. Look at our recent results - a 5-0 thumping, lose to Shrewsbury and then Oxford when leading twice. We pick up the odd decent result but we’re too inconsistent. We are experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Many if our first teamers (when fit) are the wrong side of 30 and experienced. If we were full of 19 year olds you’d think they’d learn and we’d push on next season but that’s not the case.

35 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Not weird at all mate. Look at our recent results - a 5-0 thumping, lose to Shrewsbury and then Oxford when leading twice. We pick up the odd decent result but we’re too inconsistent. We are experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Many if our first teamers (when fit) are the wrong side of 30 and experienced. If we were full of 19 year olds you’d think they’d learn and we’d push on next season but that’s not the case.

Doesn't alter the fact we are only 3 points off the playoffs if we win our game in hand.

We may be inconsistent but clearly so are all the other teams chasing those 5th and 6th spots. 

To say a 3 point gap is unassailable and the season is over is clearly ridiculous.

2 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Doesn't alter the fact we are only 3 points off the playoffs if we win our game in hand.

We may be inconsistent but clearly so are all the other teams chasing those 5th and 6th spots. 

To say a 3 point gap is unassailable and the season is over is clearly ridiculous.

Top 2 places have gone and I just see top 6 slowly slipping away.

I hope you are right and I'm wrong but time and time again we miss opportunities to take advantage of a situation.