Westwood Clean Sheet

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Continued support?

I was trying to reason why he wasn't in the team.

The only reasons  I could come up with was that the might have dipped or not been fully fit. I said many, many times that i hadnt seen him play or train for over  year and couldnt say why he wasnt playing. That the only other two options were that there was a contractual issue or.....that Jos just said Dawson was his number one and that was that. 

Did I support the manager?  Of course. I had little other choice in the matter.  I suppose I could have sung Westwoods name when Dawson saved a penalty but I'm still not sure that would have changed Luhukays mind. So I supported and applauded Dawson. Just as I applauded Westwood yesterday.  And just as I support whichever one Bruce picks when he turns up.

The majority of us support whoever is put out on the field for any game. The difference is you continually defended the decision and the reasoning Jos gave for it on here. This forum is the place to debate things like this, doesn't mean those of us the question and disagree with decisions are any less supportive of the club as a whole,

Jos got this one wrong.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The majority of us support whoever is put out on the field for any game. The difference is you continually defended the decision and the reasoning Jos gave for it on here. This forum is the place to debate things like this, doesn't mean those of us the question and disagree with decisions are any less supportive of the club as a whole,

Jos got this one wrong.

I wouldn't disagree. 

I'd also have been picking Hutchinson all season.

But I don't pick the team.

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I wouldn't disagree. 

I'd also have been picking Hutchinson all season.

But I don't pick the team.

Which is the point we are making - you did disagree all the time he wasn't in the team and supported the decision of the manager - who said he wasn't fit to play - which the player refuted and also said he hadn't seen him play enough - after making his decision to only play him for 45 minutes in pre-season. You kept faith in the decision of the manager on here when many were questioning it. You don't have to pick the team to be able to voice an opinion against it.

1 hour ago, 2roland2 said:

Its ok to admit you are wrong every now and again, you do.nt have to try and find other reasons why the back 4 looked so assured yesterday. 

We all have views some of them right some wrong. On this one you were wrong Snooty

I'm not trying to find other reasons. I watch games as an overall. I have no doubt at all that Westwood barking out instructions and helping those in front of him hugely helped . He's an experienced top class goalkeeper. 

But there was a also markedly different style of play yesterday from the whole team which also helped massively.  We played higher up the park than we have done for months and didn't invite a fraction of the pressure we have been doing.

To completley ignore that and try to assign our entire team solidity yesterday to one thing is very binary thinking. 

Westwood played a huge part in our clean sheet. But to say the huge reduction of the number of attacking opportunities we gave the opposition didn't play any part I find odd.

Preston had 4 shots yesterday. 

In recent weeks Swansea ,Rotherham and Blackburn had 12, 15 and 18 shots.  Even a woeful Bolton had 8. 

Yesterday was statistically the lowest number of times the ball has been in our box in the whole season. To pass that off as having no meaning I personally find odd. But I understand the simple thinking. So...

Here's another one for you. 

I was wrong about Leon Clarke. I thought he had the potential to be an excellent Championship striker. I was wrong. He's really only ever been a top 3rd tier player.

I'll think of some more times I have been wrong to bring you all some Christmas cheer.

Edited by Lord Snooty

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Which is the point we are making - you did disagree all the time he wasn't in the team and supported the decision of the manager - who said he wasn't fit to play - which the player refuted and also said he hadn't seen him play enough - after making his decision to only play him for 45 minutes in pre-season. You kept faith in the decision of the manager on here when many were questioning it. You don't have to pick the team to be able to voice an opinion against it.

I'll give you another time I was wrong too.

I wasn't sure Glenn When would ever make a top drawer midfield player because of his very short lower legs. Very short knee to ankle measurement. 

But he played nearly 200 Premier league games and got just short of 100 caps for his country. 

14 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

I actually agree with you on that one and I don’t think you were wrong, lots of very average players have played in the premier, just because they have doesn’t automatically mean they were good,  he wasn’t he was bang average.  So actually in my opinion. You didn’t get that wrong. 

As for westwood, I have no doubt the entire team picked up its game yesterday, the moral was so low, but I used to be a keeper and I know how much a difference a cool calm head does for a back four, I also appreciate more than most how commanding your box is massive for a team, I like Dawson and I do feel he has some potential but he is massively overrated by our fan base, he needs to go and play some games on loan before we will know if he’s good enough. 

As for our set up  I wasn’t a jos brasher, I actually felt sorry for him, although not so much now as I didn’t believe it was his decision not to play Westwood and hutch. It now looks like it was. 

There were so many rumours abound it was genuinly hard to know what was going on.  The contract rumours, bonus rumours,  FFP directive from above, a falling out, a christmas vanishing act,  refusing to play for the stiffs, not being selected for the stiffs. It actually got to the stage where the least likely scenario was the most obvious one. That it was the managers choice and nothing else.  Though even when the Chairman told us that, it still didnt get fully believed as so many people seemed to think the Chairman was lying to save his own face.  

To an extent I think there still has to have been something wider as an experienced manager must have known the same as we do.

Personally, and I said it in August when myself and @hirstyboywonder  were chatting on here that I think it's the one position where an experienced head is more important than any other area on the park.

If Westwood continues in good form then it would still suggest something has gone on. Because for all Jos' faults - and the constant changing of the back 3/4 drove me crackers- If Westwood has been looking good in training and not dipped off and does manage to show previous form then I'd find it hard to believe that a manager as long in the game as Luhukay  couldn't see it. 

Aye. Whelan perhaps not the best example!

But I can tell you another more recent one.... George Boyd. I genuinly thought that was a canny piece of business and that he'd prove an excellent addition to the squad!

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'll give you another time I was wrong too.

I wasn't sure Glenn When would ever make a top drawer midfield player because of his very short lower legs. Very short knee to ankle measurement. 

But he played nearly 200 Premier league games and got just short of 100 caps for his country. 

don't worry mate I once said mel sterland" wouldn't make a full back while he's got a hole in his arse".....and unless he had it sewn up I got that one wrong . 

Everyone knew Westwood was the better keeper, he's had 11 years more experience and hundreds more games. Let's not beat Dawson too much though, massive potential, he's barely had any experience at any level before this season and it was probably lunacy from Jos to make him permanent number 1. He has a massive amount of potential, all kids make mistakes, even Westwood has dropped the odd one in his own net, it happens goalkeeper is the least forgiving position on the pitch. Dawson has massive b0llox though and the right mentality, I think this will make him stronger. I'd loan him out for the rest of the season to build his confidence back up, Bradford or somewhere like that.

26 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Everyone knew Westwood was the better keeper, he's had 11 years more experience and hundreds more games. Let's not beat Dawson too much though, massive potential, he's barely had any experience at any level before this season and it was probably lunacy from Jos to make him permanent number 1. He has a massive amount of potential, all kids make mistakes, even Westwood has dropped the odd one in his own net, it happens goalkeeper is the least forgiving position on the pitch. Dawson has massive b0llox though and the right mentality, I think this will make him stronger. I'd loan him out for the rest of the season to build his confidence back up, Bradford or somewhere like that.

Would have made more sense to get him out on loan this season. Keep Westwood in goal, let Dawson come in next season when Westwood’s off. 

Would have been the best situation. I don’t think Dawson has had a full season on loan yet? It’s really important for a young keeper to do, particularly at a big club like Wednesday.

On 22/12/2018 at 19:27, outlaw pete said:

Westwood returns after being away for over 12 month and you’re ecstatic with his performance against a 10 man Preston who were very very poor.

Plus your enjoyment of ridiculing Cameron Dawson is pathetic.. 

Cameron Dawson is not to blame for our poor season.

Finally let’s see how your precious Westwood stands up to brutal assaults he can expect from Boro, WBA and Birmingham,.

Another clean sheet for the ,precious Westwood......

Hope you aren't too disappointed by being wrong.