Westwood Clean Sheet

25 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Remember @lordsnotty posting several times, that we hadn't seen Westwood play/train, so how could we dare to have an opinion.

Dont recall saying people couldnt have opions

I did though as you say , state that no one had seen Westwood play or train for nearly a year and that we didn't know what condition or form he would be likely to be in. 

In all honesty I'm still not much the wiser today as to whether he will reach previous highs as we were rarely threatened at all by Preston.  

What can't be disputed is the effect it had on supporters in the stadium though. It very clearly lifted their spirits just seeing him on the park and that is always a positive.

22 minutes ago, Dot said:

everyone knows Farrel is owstalks biggest troll

I'd just ignore him (like most do) and stick to the topic though

Westwood did the things today that Dawson hasn't been doing, coming out for the ball....talking to his defence etc

Westwood was awesome, as he usually is when fully fit.

Dawson has done well but desperately needed taking out of the firing line. I’d look to be getting him and Wildsmith out on loan for the remainder of the season

9 minutes ago, Dot said:
7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I did though as you say , state that no one had seen Westwood play or train for nearly a year and that we didn't know what condition or form he would be likely to be in. 

In all honesty I'm still not much the wiser today as to whether he will reach previous highs as we were rarely threatened at all by Preston.  

What can't be disputed is the effect it had on supporters in the stadium though. It very clearly lifted their spirits just seeing him on the park and that is always a positive.

there is a reason Westwood's goal wasn't threatened

he did the basics right

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yes I remember you saying this, & then I got giddy about the chance to say LordSnotty. This was the main reason on for my post. Sad I know.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dot said:

there is a reason Westwood's goals wasn't threatened

he did the basics right

Well there was more than one reason Dot.

For a start our back four weren't fannying around tip tapping the ball around our 18 yard box for 90 minutes waiting to be pressed into a mistake. 

We were generally 20 yards higher up the pitch as a whole unit than we have been for months. 

Our more attacking intent meant we were under less pressure at the back and when it came to crunch none of them was afraid to play safety first and put the ball in the stand.

But I do agree Westwood had a calm authority which comes from experience and did indeed do the basics well. 

As his exile now seems to have ended I hope very much that he does indeed go on to reach his previous highs which made him one of the best goalkeepers outside the top flight. 

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Well there was more than one reason Dot.

For a start our back four weren't fannying around tip tapping the ball around our 18 yard box for 90 minutes waiting to be pressed into a mistake. 

yes because he didn't give it to them, instead looked for a better option

5 minutes ago, Dot said:

yes because he didn't give it to them, instead looked for a better option

Indeed he did.

But then...the caretaker manager had clearly instructed all the players to get the ball forward quicker than we have  been doing. So that may have been instrumental. 

Either way. He showed his clean handling and I do hope he carries on making an impression. 

I think Dawson will benefit from being taken out of the firing line too so it's a double winner really.

westwood used his authority well today and that is what you need in a keeper  doing that gives the defenders more confidence and it showed in patches ,that said it was great to see him come out and command his area and even though Preston were down to ten he was there picking it off their strikers boots more than once, all in all after being ignored for so long he came in from the cold did his job well and gave the whole ground a buzz by just being present ,well done to Hutch and Boyd also , takes some doing getting up to speed when given the cold shoulder for so long

15 hours ago, sam1 said:

Goodbye Dawson as well, fingers crossed. A bit of instruction and that defence looked brand new.

I suppose you regularly boo Fox, Dave and Palmer too.

Accept the fact that we have players that aren't  top class or go support Barcelona, PSG or Citeh.

11 hours ago, McRightSide said:

How about your ‘DC banning him from playing’

Is that also shiite now? Just wanna make sure I know which gospel we should be believing next

Careful. Mr F will have you reported and put on the naughty step.

17 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Really wasn't rocket science.

Shame on those who backed the third choice keeper fallacy.

Your blind loyalty actually harms the club.

Lets have it right.

Your mate Geoff Sheard would have done actual damage to the club.

Genuine fans having an opinion won't.

So cut out your snide blaming of the fans which you keep doing.

Feel free to respond but Sheard related posts normally keep you quiet.

12 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Indeed he did.

But then...the caretaker manager had clearly instructed all the players to get the ball forward quicker than we have  been doing. So that may have been instrumental. 

Either way. He showed his clean handling and I do hope he carries on making an impression. 

I think Dawson will benefit from being taken out of the firing line too so it's a double winner really.

He and the team would have benefited from this weeks ago. Nothing against Dawson, he will hopefully go one to be an assured number 1 at this level for years to come but the situation we have been in this season called for more experience.

Just glad Bullen didn't need to see more of the seasoned international goalkeeper in training before throwing him into the first team. You could always just concede that your continued support of the former manager on this issue might just have been wrong. 

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He and the team would have benefited from this weeks ago. Nothing against Dawson, he will hopefully go one to be an assured number 1 at this level for years to come but the situation we have been in this season called for more experience.

Just glad Bullen didn't need to see more of the seasoned international goalkeeper in training before throwing him into the first team. You could always just concede that your continued support of the former manager on this issue might just have been wrong. 

Continued support?

I was trying to reason why he wasn't in the team.

The only reasons  I could come up with was that the might have dipped or not been fully fit. I said many, many times that i hadnt seen him play or train for over  year and couldnt say why he wasnt playing. That the only other two options were that there was a contractual issue or.....that Jos just said Dawson was his number one and that was that. 

Did I support the manager?  Of course. I had little other choice in the matter.  I suppose I could have sung Westwoods name when Dawson saved a penalty but I'm still not sure that would have changed Luhukays mind. So I supported and applauded Dawson. Just as I applauded Westwood yesterday.  And just as I support whichever one Bruce picks when he turns up.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Continued support?

I was trying to reason why he wasn't in the team.

The only reasons  I could come up with was that the might have dipped or not been fully fit. I said many, many times that i hadnt seen him play or train for over  year and couldnt say why he wasnt playing. That the only other two options were that there was a contractual issue or.....that Jos just said Dawson was his number one and that was that. 

Did I support the manager?  Of course. I had little other choice in the matter.  I suppose I could have sung Westwoods name when Dawson saved a penalty but I'm still not sure that would have changed Luhukays mind. So I supported and applauded Dawson. Just as I applauded Westwood yesterday.  And just as I support whichever one Bruce picks when he turns up.

Apologies for being pedantic but can you change your Santa hat to a blue and white one? Cheers and Merry Christmas!