When is enough - enough?

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Had a season ticket two seasons ago and switched to a membership for last and this season. 

When I don't have a season ticket, I make sure to try and get to 10 - 12 home games a season. 

I have been to three home games this season (Hull, Ipswich, and Stoke) and have watched us on I follow, Sky etc on quite a few occasions since...

Frankly, at the moment, I just can't be arsed with trawling off to Hillsborough (despite living nearby). Discussed going on Saturday and decided we couldn't be bothered - needless to say, we made the right call. 

There's just no incentive at the moment. This patched up, cobbled together side of some senior pros and kids getting thrown to the wolves, managed by a bloke whose biggest contribution so far is his stupid moustache. We are being asked to pay top prices for mediocre to poor football, by a club who, for all intents and purposes, lied and misled fans several months ago with that stupid survey. 

When it comes to Wednesday, I've seen this movie too many times before - and I know how it ends (hint: it doesn't end well). 

• Like 1

Bit like quite a few, seriously questioning whether I renew or not. Not enjoying it really and whilst we have been crap in the past this time it just seems a total waste of an opportunity. Not sure I have the energy to go through another bust cycle when it has been self inflicted through abject management of the club on and off the pitch

4 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

I've got to the point where instead of moving heaven and earth to swap shifts, do favours so I could get matches off... I can't be arsed...something has got to change down there. To cap it all off I've just about finished paying for the next two years season tickets lol 

feck me now I know we're in trouble 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

As long as the little un wants to go and as long as I can afford it I will. 

Kids are what it’s about.

It all goes in their memory banks - days they will relive forever.

I don’t blame you - in fact, I envy you (my kids are grown up now).

Its about ‘your’ time together. Keep going whilst you enjoy it.

Enjoy your kids - it doesn’t last long.

Priceless.

• Like 1

Just now, ReadingOwl said:

Kids are what it’s about.

It all goes in their memory banks - days they will relive forever.

I don’t blame you - in fact, I envy you (my kids are grown up now).

Its about ‘your’ time together. Keep going whilst you enjoy it.

Enjoy your kids - it doesn’t last long.

Priceless.

my lads never cease to remind me i have committed them to a life of unrequited hope 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steelowl said:

my lads never cease to remind me i have committed them to a life of unrequited hope 

My lad still texts me during games - results etc.

Usually, followed by can I send him some money?

Both my daughter (now in North Vietnam) and my son, living in Newcastle, went to Hillsborough with me. And my Brothers son, who I may add is now a Dr working on some research stuff for a Nobel Prize winner, in the States.

All follow the Owls in some way or another - poor sods. All my responsibility (burden).

I used to love taking the kids to Hillsborough. One big pantomime. 

Win or Lose.

Its now part of their DNA - And I’m glad.

Got to be true to your roots - And that is what this Club means to most people.

Its nowt to do with football really. It’s about belonging.

(The bloody footballs rubbish). 

Edited by ReadingOwl

Hopefully this regime  (or they way it's run now) is only temporary

There will be a day in the future when we go to Hillsborough for a fair price watch attacking and more often winning football 

(said in a Billy Graham style delivery)

I will be ashes by then no doubt hopefully my lads will see it

• Like 2

Guest Hillsborough Mole

I think this is the reason Ive fell out with it so much.

Years of promising my lad faithfully that if you stick with the bad times - the good times will come and seem so much better as a result.

Except this is our longest ever stint out of the big time in our 150 years. I was 15 when I saw us promoted to the old First Division - I'd seen us with Len Ashurst and all those before him - I loved Big Jack - he was by far the biggest thing about the club at the time and I loved Andy McCulloch, Terry Curran, Jeff King and crew - we were on our way back...

My lad is 23 now and still we show no sign of getting back to the top. We've been home and away all over the country - hes seen us on over 60 grounds already and I hugged him so tight and cried proper man tears when we won the Play Off Semi at Brighton because (like me) he'd never been to Wembley until he had a chance to see Wednesday there... and now he was going. And the disappointment that day - and even worse of the following seasons play off against Huddersfield just completely knocked the stuffing out of him (and me) - he refused a season ticket for the following season and has probably been to no more than 5 games since.

He just can't cope with the disappointment anymore. Hes taken to watching non league football these days, helps out at his club, I go sometimes and I really enjoy it - but its just not Wednesday. 

I want to carry on going but been told i'm not welcome anymore. Apparently the club have video evidence of me screaming 'Jos Out' in the Chansiri's face 

14 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Hopefully this regime  (or they way it's run now) is only temporary

There will be a day in the future when we go to Hillsborough for a fair price watch attacking and more often winning football 

(said in a Billy Graham style delivery)

I will be ashes by then no doubt hopefully my lads will see it

Yes, I think it will.

You can’t eradicate 150 years of culture, collective hope and disappointment.

For better or worse it’s in your blood (I seriously wish it wasn’t - honestly).

I don’t think a day passes - whatever I’m doing - where I don’t think about Wednesday, and, usually, how crap we are.

Or, my 86 year old Mum (on Sunday) asking how we’ve gone on? Getting her news second hand from Mrs Brown across the road (ST holder since before I was bloody born).

For better or worse it’s been the backdrop of most of our lives.

I accept we are rubbish - but it’s “my rubbish” (so I can say it).

In reality I’ve always thought the fans own the Club. Regardless of who owns the deeds.

It isn’t a Club without the fans or community IMO.

Edited by ReadingOwl
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Did you?

No, poor joke wasted on here by looks

Then again I guess those in the video have to be someone don't they

15 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I think this is the reason Ive fell out with it so much.

Years of promising my lad faithfully that if you stick with the bad times - the good times will come and seem so much better as a result.

Except this is our longest ever stint out of the big time in our 150 years. I was 15 when I saw us promoted to the old First Division - I'd seen us with Len Ashurst and all those before him - I loved Big Jack - he was by far the biggest thing about the club at the time and I loved Andy McCulloch, Terry Curran, Jeff King and crew - we were on our way back...

My lad is 23 now and still we show no sign of getting back to the top. We've been home and away all over the country - hes seen us on over 60 grounds already and I hugged him so tight and cried proper man tears when we won the Play Off Semi at Brighton because (like me) he'd never been to Wembley until he had a chance to see Wednesday there... and now he was going. And the disappointment that day - and even worse of the following seasons play off against Huddersfield just completely knocked the stuffing out of him (and me) - he refused a season ticket for the following season and has probably been to no more than 5 games since.

He just can't cope with the disappointment anymore. Hes taken to watching non league football these days, helps out at his club, I go sometimes and I really enjoy it - but its just not Wednesday. 

When he gets older - and takes a long hard look at his life, he’ll be glad of his attachment. And, the times you spent together.

It’ll be a bit like coming home.

I promise. He’ll pick his own time and means - you might not even be here anymore.

But he will.

Promise. 

10 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

In reality I’ve always thought the fans own the Club. Regardless of who owns the deeds.

Always been my thought,  unfortunately people who sink in £80m buy the right to have different ideas

• Thanks 1

Guest Hillsborough Mole
4 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

When he gets older - and takes a long hard look at his life, he’ll be glad of his attachment. And, the times you spent together.

It’ll be a bit like coming home.

I promise. He’ll pick his own time and means - you might not even be here anymore.

But he will.

Promise. 

Im not sure if thats a nice thought - or a really sad one!

I suppose this most the recent slump is all the more galling because it shouldn't be like this. 

A wealthy owner, a good side for a couple of seasons, competing at the right end of the division and yet it's completely collapsed. In fact, it's collapsed so badly we are in a worst state than when Chansiri came in. 

11 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Yes, I think it will.

You can’t eradicate 150 years of culture, collective hope and disappointment.

For better or worse it’s in your blood (I seriously wish it wasn’t - honestly).

I don’t think a day passes - whatever I’m doing - where I don’t think about Wednesday, and, usually, how crap we are.

Or, my 86 year old Mum (on Sunday) asking how we’ve gone on? Getting her news second hand from Mrs Brown across the road (ST holder since before I was bloody born).

For better or worse it’s been the backdrop of most of our lives.

I accept we are rubbish - but it’s “my rubbish” (so I can say it).

Brilliant post 

Actually brought a year to my eye that did

FFS Wednesday 

That's what this football club should be called.