Forest thoughts

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

.how  do these managers  keep getting jobs when it's so patently obvious to the local butcher baker candlestick maker that how they select and set up there team is so wrong . 

'

That’s why they keep getting sacked

Simply got done in the end by a better side on the day if we're being honest. 

They played reasonably well, looked well drilled, played as a cohesive team unit and were up for it. We on the other hand looked disjointed and not on the same page as each other and lacking in teamwork and fight, which credit due we've looked pretty good the last few games. All this praising the new lad onuoha, but colback reminded us how good he can be when he's on it and ran the midfield, neither onuoha or bannan could put a stop to his bite in there also our front three just didn't seem to work together for most of the night looking more like 3 individuals. 

15 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Simply got done in the end by a better side on the day if we're being honest. 

They played reasonably well, looked well drilled, played as a cohesive team unit and were up for it. We on the other hand looked disjointed and not on the same page as each other and lacking in teamwork and fight, which credit due we've looked pretty good the last few games. All this praising the new lad onuoha, but colback reminded us how good he can be when he's on it and ran the midfield, neither onuoha or bannan could put a stop to his bite in there also our front three just didn't seem to work together for most of the night looking more like 3 individuals. 

There’s a bit of that, but with our creative players constrained by the roles they were asked to play, it was almost a foregone conclusion that Forest would win Our timid approach to these games, puts us on the back foot

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

In fairness, we did play three in the middle, it’s just the blend is wrong. Actually it’s probably the role of Reach that is causing us the problems. I’ve said in previous threads, we are not getting the best out of him at the moment. I’m more than happy him playing in a central three, and am not one of those, suggesting switching him out wide. However, we need to get him closer to the other two and take advantage of his strong running from deep. At the moment, he seems to be mainly used in an advanced role, primarily to play up against teams defensive midfielder. That isn’t his game, and it’s a battle he’ll lose nine times out of ten. It’s a role that means he doesn’t get on the ball enough, and leaves us, basically with a two in the engine room. Surely it would be better to use one of the forwards to play the position Reach has been given.

It seems a bizarre tactic from Jos, to earmark one of our, potentially, most creative players, as the man to stifle the oppositions deep lying playmaker. It’s so alien to him, that at best, he just becomes nuisance value, while at worst, he’s merely a spectator

i disagree slightly. I think the number 10 is a good role for him. I also think that he's not put there to combat a defensive midfielder, the defensive midfielder is played to combat a umber 10 or deep lying attacker.

I also disagree that its a 3 in midfield. Its a 2 with Reach off the striker. Reach is an attacker in this formation. I'd like to see a flat 3 in midfield. Or a defensive midfielder behind the flat 2. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

There’s a bit of that, but with our creative players constrained by the roles they were asked to play, it was almost a foregone conclusion that Forest would win Our timid approach to these games, puts us on the back foot

Is Jos so much of a control freak that even players who have a football brain are afraid to go against his initial instructions.? Where a formation is failing to work, surely our players are intelligent enough to alter slightly their game to take account of the opposition.  

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Is Jos so much of a control freak that even players who have a football brain are afraid to go against his initial instructions.? Where a formation is failing to work, surely our players are intelligent enough to alter slightly their game to take account of the opposition.  

He’s proved, he’ll leave them out if they don’t follow instructions

On 20/09/2018 at 14:07, Fibonacci91 said:

I seem to have had a decent response to this post, other than most people disagreeing with me about Fox.

I thought he was too easily beaten on a number of occasions.

Both fullbacks were left isolated and exposed as forest seemed to manage to overload them nearly all game, even when someone came back to help out they still seemed to have an extra man or two close as I said not  just fox the problem was Baker was being undone on the other side too... 

Edited by shezzas left peg

5 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

i disagree slightly. I think the number 10 is a good role for him. I also think that he's not put there to combat a defensive midfielder, the defensive midfielder is played to combat a umber 10 or deep lying attacker.

I also disagree that its a 3 in midfield. Its a 2 with Reach off the striker. Reach is an attacker in this formation. I'd like to see a flat 3 in midfield. Or a defensive midfielder behind the flat 2. 

Definatley, for me we should be judging the opposition and how they set up and adjusting things accordingly. Subtle tactical changes can pay big dividends. Eg.. At home against a not so good side/team who are going to sit back and defend. you go with a two in midfield and an advanced/attacking midfielder as your going to have lots of possession. While away against better opposition your gonna do a lot more defending and have less ball, so maybe better switching that attacking mid to a holding /defensive one at least at first until you've weathered the storm as it were and got into the game as it would allow the 2 more freedom to roam and play. I don't think they'd have bossed the middle of the park if we'd have gone bazza and reach/new lad with Joey or hutch holding. 

Edited by shezzas left peg