Example of ticket pricing strategy

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we've been more successful because chansiri puts the money in ....but for him to continue to put money in we have to be the right side off  FFP  and charging a tenner a game wont help us do that .......

Not buying overpriced, ageing players on inflated wages would do the job pal, not exploiting fans 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we've been more successful because chansiri puts the money in ....but for him to continue to put money in we have to be the right side off  FFP  and charging a tenner a game wont help us do that .......

Well according to Chansiri we are sailing close to the wind with FFP so ripping off POTG fans doesn't seem to be working out for him either.He's totally misjudged the Sheffield demographic.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, torryowl said:

been proved that lower prices at hillsboro don't bring in more fans ........the second line I don't understand at all , whats "has  ties with the local community" mean" ?understands the city and the area it represents , again I aint got a clue what that means in a football sense ........you must be very conceited if you think that you realise that charging more doesn't bring success and yet think some of us think it does .........

When we had a low price for a Saturday game we got a big crowd. 

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

When we had a low price for a Saturday game we got a big crowd. 

we average 27 k when was the last time we did that .....your no fool you know what brings in big crowds .......we didn't charge a lot when Irvine was in charge and averaged 18k .....

19 minutes ago, Walt said:

Indeed, DC has played a blinder in raising the POTG prices to such a high level that buying a season ticket is the only affordable / justifiable way to watch Wednesday for many people. It's a dangerous strategy mind as it will only take a season or two of mid table-ness for people to say "Nah, not buying a season ticket this year." How many of the ex season ticket holders will then shell out for the POTG prices?

I’m trapped by the pincer movement of an all seater stadium, which means I can’t sit with people who have STs if I don’t have one, and the ridiculous POTG prices.

If I didn’t have a ST - because I couldn’t afford one or couldn’t go to enough games to justify one - I’d probably barely go any more because of the match by match prices. 

I suppose that’s why he does what he does but if I have to jack it in because I have a bad year moneywise I doubt I’ll ever go back if prices stay as they do. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Well according to Chansiri we are sailing close to the wind with FFP so ripping off POTG fans doesn't seem to be working out for him either.He's totally misjudged the Sheffield demographic.

I don't dispute that ...but what i'm saying is if he drops the price down to what it was before he arrived the attendances wont go any higher ......he'll sell fewer season tickets ,they've gone up around the 7-9k mark since he arrived due to the fact that that there a good deal compared to potg .if potg is cheap then fans don't have to commit to season tickets ......we could have lost every game this season and we'd still average at least 23 k  that wouldn't be the case if we only had 12-14k season ticket holders we usually had before he arrived as the potg wont come to watch a losing team as Irvine's team proved 

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we average 27 k when was the last time we did that .....your no fool you know what brings in big crowds .......we didn't charge a lot when Irvine was in charge and averaged 18k .....

Well, obviously a successful team is the main factor, but it has been shown when we do reduce ticket prices (Charlton, Wolves) that decent crowds will come in. 

The issue Wednesday have is people getting out of the habit. 

I'm not suggesting we charge £20.00 for every game, but having more offers like this will surely help? 

• Like 1

I Think this rebounds back to the SAG thing ..

How the hell can we be competitive price wise if we are putting extra money onto the fans because we are clearly subsidising empty seats as a result of safety sanctions .

I really don't buy this crap that our ground alone is a safety risk ?

Blackburn for example have both sets of fans in the Darwen end they all arrive on Bolton road to access ground like Leppings lane only difference they have a large steel door that segregates lower concourse ..that can be opened in seconds 

There are tons of similar stadia to ours that don't endure our sanctions .

And a load of these grounds only have a single wall of stewards to separate ...

I really would love the opportunity to attend these SAG junkets and put my views across. 

I know why they do it 

I don't understand why they have been allowed to keep us "under the thumb" 

While the rest of football carries on as the norm.....

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 1

Just now, SiJ said:

Well, obviously a successful team is the main factor, but it has been shown when we do reduce ticket prices (Charlton, Wolves) that decent crowds will come in. 

The issue Wednesday have is people getting out of the habit. 

I'm not suggesting we charge £20.00 for every game, but having more offers like this will surely help? 

of course they will for a one off but he cant do  that every game  without losing thousands of season ticket holders . 

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

of course they will for a one off but he cant do  that every game  without losing thousands of season ticket holders . 

Fair point...it's a fine balance. 

Ultimately, the balance sheet is king. 

Still - I do worry about how many of the casual fans we are not "losing" per se, but making it so they will be permanently out of the habit of attending games. 

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I don't dispute that ...but what i'm saying is if he drops the price down to what it was before he arrived the attendances wont go any higher ......he'll sell fewer season tickets ,they've gone up around the 7-9k mark since he arrived due to the fact that that there a good deal compared to potg .if potg is cheap then fans don't have to commit to season tickets ......we could have lost every game this season and we'd still average at least 23 k  that wouldn't be the case if we only had 12-14k season ticket holders we usually had before he arrived as the potg wont come to watch a losing team as Irvine's team proved 

I'm not saying prices should be rock bottom but they don't need to be ridiculous either,needs to be a happy medium somewhere down the line.

12 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I’m trapped by the pincer movement of an all seater stadium, which means I can’t sit with people who have STs if I don’t have one, and the ridiculous POTG prices.

If I didn’t have a ST - because I couldn’t afford one or couldn’t go to enough games to justify one - I’d probably barely go any more because of the match by match prices. 

I suppose that’s why he does what he does but if I have to jack it in because I have a bad year moneywise I doubt I’ll ever go back if prices stay as they do. 

Aye, I suspect there will be quite a few in that boat. If you then look at the worst case scenario where many of those will have kids who'd they'd normally take along then Wednesday could potentially lose the next generation of fans as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Still - I do worry about how many of the casual fans we are not "losing" per se, but making it so they will be permanently out of the habit of attending games. 

We're loosing fans on a monthly basis. Should be attracting them not putting them off. Ludicrous strategy. Fletcher and Pudil or cheap family tickets. So, so, short sighted. 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

In the model of Bradford season ticket sales are higher than ever before. Season ticket prices would be sold more on Keep your seat because the games would start to sell out. I know there is scepticism about immediate impact of this, but over 3 years season ticket sales would boom and games would be a sell out. IMO. The best days at hillsborough is when it is sold out. Arsenal, Brighton. If we can replicate that Hillsborough can be such a great place and that will make people want to comeback. There are clubs doing this, everyone mentions Dortmund but look deeper and it works elsewhere. It can be done

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

that's the risk he takes but he's planning on being in the prem and I can almost guarantee that we'll sell out with season tickets the 1st season at least if achieves his aims . 

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

That's my worry as well, because if the parents stop going the kids don't go either and the knock on effect would affect the fanbase in the long run.

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I think we all know why SAG go out of their way to make sure as many parts of Hillsborough are not open to the paying public. 

But the part that I think you are implying 

Is often open to paying public .

Without going round the block over and over again the club have missed the moment years ago the west should have been flattened redeveloped and like Old Trafford away fans put in the corner with its own access and exit 

And for big games away fans allowed more of west stand on provision that they return the courtesy at their own stadia 

3 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

I'm not saying prices should be rock bottom but they don't need to be ridiculous either,needs to be a happy medium somewhere down the line.

i'l not argue with you on that theres far to big a difference to the  23 quid a game I pay  and the 39  quid my son paid to sit next to me earlier this season .....but what does he do , does he bring it back to a more level playing field like we had before and have fewer season ticket holders which means lower attendances if things don't go to plan or does he make the season tickts dearer so they nearer the potg which again makes buying a season ticket less attractive ......