Example of ticket pricing strategy

I was listening to the Football league podcast and they did a piece about Bradford city. They were talking about how they now get an average attendance of over 20,000. Their pricing is £20 a game and kids are £5 on the day regardless of which stand you sit in.

They have sold over 18,500 season tickets with season tickets costing £149 for early bird and £299 to buy after 30th April. They are encouraging people to get season tickets and trying to hit 20,000 season ticket holders. They have community schemes trying to encourage different communities to come to the game. Since starting this their average attendance has increased from 13,000 to over 18,000 and they are on track to be over 20,000 fans this year.

Their ground is 25,000 so they are on track to sell out the ground. They have finished 5th 2 seasons on the trot and are 4th this season in League 1 with this strategy, before with a different strategy they finished 7th in League 1 and missed the playoffs. The chief exec has said ticket prices will remain the same in the championship if promoted, they are aiming for the premier league in 10 years and if they get there they are saying ticket prices could be £1 because of the increased TV money.

So Wednesday have average attendances of 26,000, looking at the percentage increase Bradford have achieved in 3 years, if we did a similar scheme we would have Hillsborough sold out in 3 years. With no impact on performance and a much better atmosphere around the club and at games. The revenue I believe can be covered by sponsorships and increased match day revenues.

We have seen clubs come flying past us and get to the premier league with better strategies and better atmospheres, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley. I personally believe Bradford will get there.

I would personally love to see Hillsborough full every week and bouncing, it can be done and Is being done down the road In Bradford. Come on Wednesday, be the first to get ahead of the trend please.

What do you think?

13 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

I was listening to the Football league podcast and they did a piece about Bradford city. They were talking about how they now get an average attendance of over 20,000. Their pricing is £20 a game and kids are £5 on the day regardless of which stand you sit in.

They have sold over 18,500 season tickets with season tickets costing £149 for early bird and £299 to buy after 30th April. They are encouraging people to get season tickets and trying to hit 20,000 season ticket holders. They have community schemes trying to encourage different communities to come to the game. Since starting this their average attendance has increased from 13,000 to over 18,000 and they are on track to be over 20,000 fans this year.

Their ground is 25,000 so they are on track to sell out the ground. They have finished 5th 2 seasons on the trot and are 4th this season in League 1 with this strategy, before with a different strategy they finished 7th in League 1 and missed the playoffs. The chief exec has said ticket prices will remain the same in the championship if promoted, they are aiming for the premier league in 10 years and if they get there they are saying ticket prices could be £1 because of the increased TV money.

So Wednesday have average attendances of 26,000, looking at the percentage increase Bradford have achieved in 3 years, if we did a similar scheme we would have Hillsborough sold out in 3 years. With no impact on performance and a much better atmosphere around the club and at games. The revenue I believe can be covered by sponsorships and increased match day revenues.

We have seen clubs come flying past us and get to the premier league with better strategies and better atmospheres, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley. I personally believe Bradford will get there.

I would personally love to see Hillsborough full every week and bouncing, it can be done and Is being done down the road In Bradford. Come on Wednesday, be the first to get ahead of the trend please.

What do you think?

I agree pal

I think the awful truth is that in the premiership attendance aint that important in the greater scheme it's all about the sky money 

heck people of the attitude of someone we know might just paint a hoarding with  'supporters' and pipe in clapping noise less hassle that way 

Bradford's approach is a true community club one that's brilliant - we are no longer a community club

we are a means to an end game mate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, steelowl said:

I think the awful truth is that in the premiership attendance aint that important in the greater scheme it's all about the sky money 

heck people of the attitude of someone we know might just paint a hoarding with  'supporters' and pipe in clapping noise less hassle that way 

Bradford's approach is a true community club one that's brilliant - we are no longer a community club

Which is a true and sad state of affairs . Perhaps the reason why I’m not as passionate about the club and the game as a whole as I once was

1 hour ago, Spookone said:

But the argument would be we are still averaging large crowds with the high prices, if we do get in the prem the crowds would only increase so from a financial point of view why would they drop the prices?

I believe a change in pricing would lift the atmosphere at the club and get him more patience from the fanbase. At the minute we feel we need to be at the top because of the ticket prices. But income from tickets isn't the biggest factor to getting promoted.

A gesture which means more of the community can get involved would help him. Also having 35,000 fans buying programmes, drinks, pies etc etc will help cover his revenues.

1 hour ago, DNS said:

Bradford aren't paying their players £30-35K a week are they? DC won't change the pricing structure.

The reason we can pay them 30k isn't because the guys who buy on the gate are paying a lot more. The vast majority of the revenue is generated from elsewhere. Ticket prices being lower wouldn't mean we immediately go back to where we were.

City's pay on the door prices aren't £20. You only qualify for these with a membership card and if you pay the day before

They have had years of these prices and have never (apart from last season) looked like going up.

The wage structure is very low for the division as the income generated from the tickets sales is so low, so in turn they can't afford the better players. Alot of the better players left at the end of the season due to low wages, so they have had to start again with a new team

City's only chance of progressing through the leagues is someone with cash throwing money at it to get them moving. The German guys who have it at the moment don't seem to have the cash to have a real go so i can see them treading water for the foreseeable.

Shame really as it's my local team and i want to see them do well

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

Isn't this just appalling though. Surely the premier league would be more fun with 35,000 paying £20 compared to 26,000 paying £50 and having to put going to football as one of their biggest expenses every year.

I can see why people are falling out of love with the game if you can't afford to go.

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

City's pay on the door prices aren't £20. You only qualify for these with a membership card and if you pay the day before

They have had years of these prices and have never (apart from last season) looked like going up.

The wage structure is very low for the division as the income generated from the tickets sales is so low, so in turn they can't afford the better players. Alot of the better players left at the end of the season due to low wages, so they have had to start again with a new team

City's only chance of progressing through the leagues is someone with cash throwing money at it to get them moving. The German guys who have it at the moment don't seem to have the cash to have a real go so i can see them treading water for the foreseeable.

Shame really as it's my local team and i want to see them do well

Will be interesting to see if works and they can get to the premier league within 10 years. They've done well to finish in the playoffs 2 years running and look on course to do it again. Especially without money being pumped in. Shows what can be done with a good atmosphere and good coaching. Personally looking at the teams in League 1 I fancy their chances. We shall see.

Sorry on the gate they are £25, as long as you pay the day before they are £20 and you don't need a membership. Can get online and buy now for £20 for their Tuesday game.

5 hours ago, tarn owl said:

What do you think?

I think you need to spend a little more time on your cost/spend and outcome analysis lol

11 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I think you need to spend a little more time on your cost/spend and outcome analysis lol

I think you're wasting your breath there, Nev.

I doubt he's got a clue what you're talking about.:wacko:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

I think you're wasting your breath there, Nev.

I doubt he's got a clue what you're talking about.:wacko:

Sorry but yes i do. I'm looking at it from a community point of view. I'm after a better atmosphere and match day experience.

If everyone is happy with current pricing then fair enough but that's why i posted the example. Just looking for opinions, personally i think we should be more community focused and bring prices down and reduce the squad size, even if that means we don't have highest possible revenues. I think you can achieve promotions without ticket prices increasing. If everyone is happy paying more and more to keep throwing money to try and get promoted then clearly I'm the minority. Not stupid, just an opinion.