Sheffield Wednesday fan banned for life for racism

The guy was offered the chance to discuss the matter with the club. 

He declined. Perhaps that showed an unwillingness on his part to change? 

Perhaps slapping him with a ban might prompt him to rethink? 

2 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

I bet he's not a decent bloke :/

What a strange assumption to make based upon the evidence.

I said most of the time, he certainly didn't act like one on that train but I'd rather educate the man onto how his actions make other people feel that just throw the book at him

8 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

Yes he has dome something wrong, it was a stupid thing to do and he's now facing the consequences for his actions

My point is, I bet there a lot who are abusing Stephen that have done stuff they regret but were lucky enough it wasn't on camera and nobody reported it.

I know I've done some stuff watching Wednesday that I'm not proud of

Count yourself lucky then. Personally I’ve never sang racist songs on a train because it’s wrong and it would make me a nob, as a result I have never been caught or punished for singing racist songs on a train. This guy has done that and has been caught and this does make him a nob. Same situation if he’s a Wednesdayite or otherwise. If the guy hadn’t been to a football match then his behaviour would have him marked out anywhwre from a straight up racist to a far right extremist but oh he’s a Wednesdayite so don’t be too mean to him. Nah f*ck that.

The guy knows he’s done wrong. He refused to meet the club. He told the court he was just miming. What a coward.

1 minute ago, gypsyowl said:

I said most of the time, he certainly didn't act like one on that train but I'd rather educate the man onto how his actions make other people feel that just throw the book at him

Well I'm not saying he should be hanged but a lifetime ban from Hillsborough is a just punishment Imo that will hopefully deter others. I also agree that we should try to educate him but I don't see anything wrong with calling him a c*nt in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

I think if more people call him a c*nt instead of saying ‘oh but he’s a Wednesdayite and I bet you’ve all done loads of bad stuff too’ then he might get the education he clearly needs. Maybe it will make him realise that the reason people are calling him a c*nt is because he’s behaved like one and if he stops behaving like one then people might stop calling him one.

It’s all on him

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Count yourself lucky then. Personally I’ve never sang racist songs on a train because it’s wrong and it would make me a nob, as a result I have never been caught or punished for singing racist songs on a train. This guy has done that and has been caught and this does make him a nob. Same situation if he’s a Wednesdayite or otherwise. If the guy hadn’t been to a football match then his behaviour would have him marked out anywhwre from a straight up racist to a far right extremist but oh he’s a Wednesdayite so don’t be too mean to him. Nah f*ck that.

The guy knows he’s done wrong. He refused to meet the club. He told the court he was just miming. What a coward.

I've never sung racist songs on a train, in fact coming from an irish traveller background I hate racism, most people who are racist need educating, it's more of a society thing, which again isn't really for this site

1 minute ago, gypsyowl said:

I've never sung racist songs on a train, in fact coming from an irish traveller background I hate racism, most people who are racist need educating, it's more of a society thing, which again isn't really for this site

Sorry, I definitely didn’t mean to imply that you had but can see how the sentences following on could suggest that.

22 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Not sure i agree with this .. I've always believed that Ch*nk or P*ki is not a shortened version of a countries name and that its a negative, offensive connotation for Chinese and Pakistani people. Its nothing like saying Brit, or Scot or a Dane. No way. These are words orginally derived to be offensive to races as the N word or others etc ..

But then this probably ties in with what asteener said about educating people .. should never be used, i mean whats up with just saying Pakistani or Chinese or whatever

Really good point this actually ..

Most things can be offensive if said in a certain way. 

Why is Brit, Scot, Dane not offensive when P is? FWIW I don’t use it but I don’t see the word in itself as racist. 

The C word for a Chinese is offensive, 20yrs ago it was used for the local takeaway but times have changed. I’m astounded people still used that word tbh.

The N word is another kettle of fish. If person A says it he’s the worst human being on the planet, Person B says it and not an eyelid is battered. It’s either racist or it aint, if sections of society are allowed to use it and others aren’t, then surely that is racist?....

1 minute ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Why is Brit, Scot, Dane not offensive when P is?

It has frequently been used to describe any person of apparent Asian descent in a derogatory manner. It is not generally used to refer to someone from Pakistan.

Brit, Scot, Aussie etc are not generally used as a derogatory way. 

4 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Most things can be offensive if said in a certain way. 

Why is Brit, Scot, Dane not offensive when P is? FWIW I don’t use it but I don’t see the word in itself as racist. 

The C word for a Chinese is offensive, 20yrs ago it was used for the local takeaway but times have changed. I’m astounded people still used that word tbh.

The N word is another kettle of fish. If person A says it he’s the worst human being on the planet, Person B says it and not an eyelid is battered. It’s either racist or it aint, if sections of society are allowed to use it and others aren’t, then surely that is racist?....

Our lass tells me off for saying that when we order but I don't do it to be offensive, I've always called it that! 

To say you're astounded is a bit OTT, I know many people still saying they are ordering ch.....ky

Up until the 90s I used to say the P*ki shop! I watched an Only fools the other day, Del referred to it at that, made me smile, no malice whatsoever just times have changed

My kids won't be saying it when they are my age.

Just now, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Just because some idiots use it doesn’t make it racist

If a word is generally regarded by the whole world as racist then yes. yes it does. It means it's racist

I am saddened by this thread.

It's like people are falling over themselves to try and cling onto the right to be racist

Very sad times

Hopefully racists and racism all die out as soon as possible and are replaced by people who just wanna get on with each other

Owlstalk Shop

Because of its wide use as an insult the N word has become an offensive, racist word and so if it is used, particularly by a white person, it is perceived as being an insult and offensive and racist.

There has been what is called *"reclaiming a word" where a black person may use the N word and it obviously is not insulting.

*Linguistic reclamation is the re-appropriation of a pejorative epithet by its target, to turn an insult into a positive term and deny others the ability to define it.

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If a word is generally regarded by the whole world as racist then yes. yes it does. It means it's racist

I am saddened by this thread.

It's like people are falling over themselves to try and cling onto the right to be racist

Very sad times

Hopefully racists and racism all die out as soon as possible and are replaced by people who just wanna get on with each other

Bit dramatic. It's not very sad times is it really. The kind of casual racism that existed pre 90's has reduced vastly, as has institutional racism. I think the chap getting banned for life proves this. In the nineties they would have had to ban three quarters of everyone if the same rules and feelings as today applied back then. In the UK it's going the right way. What pees me off is this is not so in the rest of the world, In places like Saudi, India and Japan. Lot's like to wring their hands about it in this country, especially white males for some bizarre reason, but from a worldwide point of view we should be seen as a beacon of light on this issue.

• Like 1

Just now, TommyCraig said:

Bit dramatic. It's not very sad times is it really. The kind of casual racism that existed pre 90's has reduced vastly, as has institutional racism. I think the chap getting banned for life proves this. In the nineties they would have had to ban three quarters of everyone if the same rules and feelings as today applied back then. In the UK it's going the right way. What pees me off is this is not so in the rest of the world, In places like Saudi, India and Japan. Lot's like to wring their hands about it in this country, especially white males for some bizarre reason, but from a worldwide point of view we should be seen as a beacon of light on this issue.

I'm not sure what you mean

Are you saying that it's not deemed as racism in Saudi or India?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not sure what you mean

Are you saying that it's not deemed as racism in Saudi or India?

No I'm saying Saudi and India are many, many more times racist in general than the UK is. Some very bad stuff goes on but we deal with them both everyday.

5 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Because of its wide use as an insult the N word has become an offensive, racist word and so if it is used, particularly by a white person, it is perceived as being an insult and offensive and racist.

There has been what is called *"reclaiming a word" where a black person may use the N word and it obviously is not insulting.

*Linguistic reclamation is the re-appropriation of a pejorative epithet by its target, to turn an insult into a positive term and deny others the ability to define it.

The “reclamation” keeps the word in people’s vocab. If its offensive then it shouldn’t be said by anybody. How the flip can somebody kick off about somebody saying it and then repeat the same word themselves?!