Three at the back

I'd go:-

Westwood

Lees   Venancio  Pudil

Boyd Jones Bannan  Reach

Fletcher  Hooper Rhodes

Pudil doing ok at cb for me. Energetic players down each side. Jones to sit deeper with Bannan having a free role, forwards interchangeable with Winnall, Fessi, Joao or Nuhiu depending on injuries/form/oppo.

Whilst 3-4-3 is the fashionable way to play recently it takes a lot of coaching and also needs the right kind of players to play the positions. We just don't have them unfortunately 

Also, most teams in the prem play 1 up top so you can afford to only have 3 back there. In our league, most teams play 2 up top and the thought of having 3 to deal with them as well as wing backs have wingers and overlapping full back seats to contend with, it's not for me. Imagine Adam Reach having to defend against 2 all the time. He struggles defensively anyway as it is with help...

Edited by ramone

I like the idea of three at the back. 3-5-2 is very under used, but then I suppose there's a reason for that.

Looking at the squad we have though, you have to work out the key areas;

Westwood is an excellent shot stopper, erratic distribution but a top keeper. But we need him to release the ball to players near our box to stop the ball coming back so quickly with the aimless punts.

We've been conditioned for the last two seasons to have full backs overlapping, which is generally why we have the wide players we do - and also probably why bannan works out left..

None of our strikers - with the exception of joao - are able to adequately play a lone striker role.

None of our players are quick, certainly with the ball. Which means we can't really break at pace, and need to work the ball forward.

Westwood, Lees, bannan, Lee and hooper should pretty much be shoe-ins for a starting shirt every week if fit.

If you go off that...

-------------------Westwood-------------

Hunt-------lees-----other-------other

---------Hutchinson or jones--------

-boyd or wallace---lee----bannan

---------------------hooper-----------------

-------------rhodes/fletcher------------

Can't find room for reach or forestieri - fernando purely on existing form. The left back spot - and 2nd cb - is much of a muchness. Not seen anything of the new guy to pass judgement, loovens or pudil at centre back, and pudil/fox/reach left back is also a bit meh. 

Hooper plays just off the main striker - which should be rhodes or fletcher. Winnall is a striker I rate, but he'd compete with hooper - and hooper would start almost every time for me.

No room whatsoever for abdi.

Wallace/boyd, Lee and Bannan should be allowed to push forward more - with Hutchinson or Jones sitting back. This puts them closer to hooper, and also allows them to take the ball off the centre backs, reducing our long balls considerably.

A back three needs the two outer players to be mobile, and be comfortable on the ball.

I know nothing about Fred, but I can safely say for a fact, neither Loovens or Lees are capable of playing anywhere other than as the central defender in a back three.

However, playing Pudil as a left sided centre back and Hutchinson as the right sided centre back, would have some appeal.

That said, it aint happening. We might as well discuss what Joao and Matias can bring to the side...because they are just as like to start as we are to go to a back three.