Three at the back

Why is CC so stubborn and won't play this with the players we have and his mentality?!

Its defensive which to be honest he loves, it suits our players as there are a lack of wingers which he loves. The only downside is that he has several strikers for one position but he has that problem in 442 !

Westwood

Fred Lees Pudil

Hunt Jones Bannan Reach

Forestieri Matias

Hooper

2 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Why is CC so stubborn and won't play this with the players we have and his mentality?!

Its defensive which to be honest he loves, it suits our players as there are a lack of wingers which he loves. The only downside is that he has several strikers for one position but he has that problem in 442 !

Westwood

Fred Lees Pudil

Hunt Jones Bannan Reach

Forestieri Matias

Hooper

Right back in midfield

Three left wide players, and a left back

Im out.

As soon as those advocating 3 at the back in a 3-4-2-1 formation put names to positions, you immediately see why Carlos doesn't do it.

Not saying the system won't work with the right players, just that we don't have the right players.

I think that left of a three would be ideal for Pudil. He's lost a yard of pace but has shown he's capable of playing centre half and can bring the ball out from the back.

Wing back feels like Reach's natural position.

It gives us licence to have three attacking players playing centrally.

It would be the ideal formation for Hutch or Jones as neither would have to drive the play forward.

I'd have reservations about Hunt but he's been fine for a while now.

I'm in.

If we had enough centre backs, but at the minute you'd have no back up. So any injuries to Pudil/Fred/Lees and you'd have to completely change the system again. 

Sign another CB, get loovens or hutch fit and thats a different scenario.

But you're right, he still wouldnt do it 

I'm totally down with this. It's the only way I can make total sense of our best players. Won't happen though.

On a positive note, it's good that people are open to another formation. In years gone by fans would be hounding a manager for. Not sticking to 4-4-2. Hopefully we're learning how to be a good team and a big club again.

I agree I'd like to see us go with 3 at the back and been wondering why. After watching a number of teams who play this formation I think it is down to the CBs we have on the books which is why Carlos was looking for 2 this window. To make the system work at least 2 of the 3 need to be mobile and capable of stepping up into mid-field. Neither Lees or Loovens are mobile or fast enough and certainly their powers of distribution do not suit either. Lees in particular I always worry about when he has the ball at his feet and a forward is closing him down.

I think part of the drive to convert Pudil is to provide this flexibility and hopefully the new CB signed will be another part of the solution. This means that Lees can remain as the central anchor. Need to wait and see and if we can bring in another suitable recruit which is why I don't think it will be a Hanley type unless he is more skillful than I give him credit for.

1 minute ago, HarryJ said:

I agree I'd like to see us go with 3 at the back and been wondering why. After watching a number of teams who play this formation I think it is down to the CBs we have on the books which is why Carlos was looking for 2 this window. To make the system work at least 2 of the 3 need to be mobile and capable of stepping up into mid-field. Neither Lees or Loovens are mobile or fast enough and certainly their powers of distribution do not suit either. Lees in particular I always worry about when he has the ball at his feet and a forward is closing him down.

I think part of the drive to convert Pudil is to provide this flexibility and hopefully the new CB signed will be another part of the solution. This means that Lees can remain as the central anchor. Need to wait and see and if we can bring in another suitable recruit which is why I don't think it will be a Hanley type unless he is more skillful than I give him credit for.

Agree with you on this. Which is why Lee would be the centre of the 3 and his job is to defend and pass the ball 5 yards in the direction you are facing. 

................................Westwood

..................Vernic....Lees......Pudil

Hunt..................................................Reach

...............Jones...............Bannan

..............................Hooper

.................Rhodes...........Fletcher

Wildsmith, Palmer, Fox, Abdi, Murphy, Nuhiu, Joao 

I think the concept of 3 at the back is interesting, but we just don't have enough centre halfs to do it yet. We have a pretty sound defence at the minute so until we sign at least another centre half I'd stick with 4 at the back and instead change the way we play in midfield and attack instead.

14 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

................................Westwood

..................Vernic....Lees......Pudil

Hunt..................................................Reach

...............Jones...............Bannan

..............................Hooper

.................Rhodes...........Fletcher

Wildsmith, Palmer, Fox, Abdi, Murphy, Nuhiu, Joao 

Whist I can see your point with this FF would be our most creative player in a free role and has to play there

The problem for me with 343 and our squad is this..

You essentially have the back 5 predetermined in terms of selection:

Hunt, Lees, Loovens/Venancio, Pudil, Reach

That's half the outfield already determined..

you then need 2 deeper sitting mids who will shield the back 3 and cover when the wingbacks are forward..

So that's Jones, Bannan (meaning Bannan is no longer in the role he's been excelling in this season).

That leaves 3 players left to select.. and for those 3 spots we have:

Wallace

Lee

Abdi

Boyd

Matias

Nando

Rhodes

Hooper

Fletcher

Joao

Nuhiu

Winnall

12 players for 3 spots.

Imo we're better off with the diamond

Westwood

Hunt - Lees - Venancio - Reach
Jones

Lee - Bannan

Hooper
Fletch - Rhodes

It makes good use of what we have , we have enough players to back up the positions and roles, and it's core is the midfield two of Bannan and Lee which is a fantastic engine room getting forwards and back.

The only player who suffers from us playing this is probably Wallace, who has been a good servant and derseves respect, but who is getting on and isnt playing at his best right now anyway.

The only downside is the stiff competition in the slot behind the strikers, with Hooper, Matias and Nando all looking to get in there. But having those 3 pushing each other to be at peak is also not a bad thing.

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Westwood

Fred Lees Pudil

Hunt Jones Bannan Reach

Forestieri Matias

Hooper

Why won't Carlos play such a team?

Haven't you already answered your own question with the players you have inserted into that formation?

4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-1-1,  4-1-2-1-2.

All with a back four. Not saying it's right, but they all have that base which the rest is built on. 

A back four is what most of these players have been brought up playing. 

Sure they can adapt. I like 3-5-2. (It's something I was quite keen that Staurt Gray try when he had his limited squad and was laughed off Owlstalk)

10600649_10153150139181111_6586168513884

I do see the benefits of the system. But it needs some working on. It needs preparation and planning. It needs sessions on the training pitch.  For many players it's would be something new. 

And whilst we could do that. ..can you imagine the meltdowns on here if there were teething problems and we lost a few games on the spin? 

According to some the pressure is already mounting. 

Remember the absolute slaughtering Steve McLaren took as England manager when he tried it in a game and lost. 

Robinson's howler left England 2-0 losers to Croatia, a defeat which forced Steve McClaren to concede that his controversial switch to a 3-5-2 system was at the root of their worst performance since they lost to Northern Ireland under Sven Goran Eriksson. "I thought it would help us get the ball forward quicker. We didn't have much time to work on it, and clearly that fact has backfired.  I have to take the blame as I'd take the plaudits of we'd won."

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

The problem for me with 343 and our squad is this..

You essentially have the back 5 predetermined in terms of selection:

Hunt, Lees, Loovens/Venancio, Pudil, Reach

That's half the outfield already determined..

you then need 2 deeper sitting mids who will shield the back 3 and cover when the wingbacks are forward..

So that's Jones, Bannan (meaning Bannan is no longer in the role he's been excelling in this season).

That leaves 3 players left to select.. and for those 3 spots we have:

Wallace

Lee

Abdi

Boyd

Matias

Nando

Rhodes

Hooper

Fletcher

Joao

Nuhiu

Winnall

12 players for 3 spots.

Imo we're better off with the diamond

Westwood

Hunt - Lees - Venancio - Reach
Jones

Lee - Bannan

Hooper
Fletch - Rhodes

It makes good use of what we have , we have enough players to back up the positions and roles, and it's core is the midfield two of Bannan and Lee which is a fantastic engine room getting forwards and back.

The only player who suffers from us playing this is probably Wallace, who has been a good servant and derseves respect, but who is getting on and isnt playing at his best right now anyway.

The only downside is the stiff competition in the slot behind the strikers, with Hooper, Matias and Nando all looking to get in there. But having those 3 pushing each other to be at peak is also not a bad thing.

I like this.

And while right now it looks like we're overstaffed, if last year is any indication our strikers are likely to pick up knocks, so having a deep rotation should work well.

Same with Lee: Have Abdi, Boyd and Wallace work in on the other side of the diamond from Bannan when injury and opponents slow it, with Abdi, Boyd, and FF also able to rotate through Hooper's position in the hole.

Edited by Indoor Owl