Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton,

I think the OP has something there. All three teams had a good solid structure about them, which perhaps is even more important these days, if you want to play 4-4-2. With nearly all the teams moving away from that system, it's becoming harder for sides playing 4-4-2 to survive. However, Brighton proved that you still can get success playing that way but you have to a strong spine, tough tackling combative midfielders and pace in key areas. 

In relation to other teams that have been promoted with other systems yes it's true other teams have been able to get out this league but have mainly stumbled over the line not playing consistent enough.

I.e Middlesborough 4-2-3-1

Huddersfield 4-2-3-1 (didn't even score win a playoff match in 90 mins)

The other team I can think of is Watford who I believe played a 3-4-3 similar to Birmingham under Zola which obviously is a gamble and the right players are needed.

I expect is to be 4-4-2 again next season maybe a few more 4-3-1-2 away from home like we did at Rotherham etc.

4 hours ago, Retford_Owl said:

In relation to other teams that have been promoted with other systems yes it's true other teams have been able to get out this league but have mainly stumbled over the line not playing consistent enough.

I think thats well wide of the mark - i'd say 4-4-2 has been in the considerable minority as the preferred system for a promoted team over the last several years

16 minutes ago, scram said:

I think thats well wide of the mark - i'd say 4-4-2 has been in the considerable minority as the preferred system for a promoted team over the last several years

Against that though, I'd say it's an ever changing landscape The quality of the division just keeps getting better, both in terms of players and coaches With more and more teams now looking to flood the midfield, it's becoming more difficult Not impossible though, as I said earlier, look at Brighton last season 

Will be interesting to see how Carlos changes things After the fun of his first season, he changed to a slightly different interpretation of the system Again we've fallen just short, so will he change again

Edited by gurujuan

Hunt is one of the main players that needs improving on in our team and you have him as one of the few that keeps his place over the likes of Forestieri!? 

For a team that is so reliant on our fullbacks going forward he is no where near good enough, can't take a man on and has two assists for the season? People seem to be blinded by the fact he is quite fast and can run all day (similar with Reach) but he is just not good enough for automatic at all. 

My response to that is that with a few positions to improve on its unlikely we will improve in this area and we dont need to because hunt is good enough that assist against Birmingham proves he has qualities he just needs consistency and maybe next season he will find it.

Palmer is ok for 5-8 games a season