Carlos, Wednesday and the jigsaw piece....

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The reason we do that is to compensate for our two man midfield, often a lightweight two man midfield Don't agree with doing it, but that's the reason

But we could still play wingers on their correct side and ask them to tuck in when we aren't i possession.  That would then still give us the option of getting to the byline and pulling back the crosses.  I'm certain Rhodes, Winnall, Fletcher and Hooper would score more goals with those tactics.

51 minutes ago, Kevan said:

But we could still play wingers on their correct side and ask them to tuck in when we aren't i possession.  That would then still give us the option of getting to the byline and pulling back the crosses.  I'm certain Rhodes, Winnall, Fletcher and Hooper would score more goals with those tactics.

Well yes, but it's not just a case of them tucking inside when needed, they are always playing really narrow. I think the only way you'd see two wingers who would hug the touch line, is if we had a central pairing like Brighton, or like most sides in the division do, have two wingers playing wide of a central striker. That way, you still keep three in the middle, and have wingers providing the width. 

44 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well yes, but it's not just a case of them tucking inside when needed, they are always playing really narrow. I think the only way you'd see two wingers who would hug the touch line, is if we had a central pairing like Brighton, or like most sides in the division do, have two wingers playing wide of a central striker. That way, you still keep three in the middle, and have wingers providing the width. 

Yes I agree with that idea - and maybe it goes along with the 4-3-3 formation that someone on here said was Carlos' favourite formation, before he changed it to 4-4-2

2 hours ago, Kevan said:

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Inside out wingers does seem to be something that has really taken off. Though of course, Mr Waddle was an inside-outer.

I agree though. There have been times this season when I have looked down and thought "Tell Wallace to swap over and go on the left for 20 minutes. Open things up a bit. Catch the opposition off guard.

Sometime of course players will have a little swap themselves without being told to. Though this doesn't seem to happen with this group. I think because so much of our play has been stressed around their positions when they lose possession.

People keep saying we need a lightening winger.  Not sure myself. I'm still from the school of thought that if you are quick over two yards in the wide areas that is all you need. It's the quality of the delivery that counts, not how quick you get to the byline. 

I do think centre back is an area that needs addressing. As apparently so does Carlos.  I understand the club saying they wont be held to ransom with over inflated fees.....on the other hand, given the money we have forked out on forwards in the last 12 months I do think that we could have forgone one or two of them to get that central defensive player in, because over the long run you're never going to keep 7 strikers happy!

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Inside out wingers does seem to be something that has really taken off. Though of course, Mr Waddle was an inside-outer.

I agree though. There have been times this season when I have looked down and thought "Tell Wallace to swap over and go on the left for 20 minutes. Open things up a bit. Catch the opposition off guard.

Sometime of course players will have a little swap themselves without being told to. Though this doesn't seem to happen with this group. I think because so much of our play has been stressed around their positions when they lose possession.

People keep saying we need a lightening winger.  Not sure myself. I'm still from the school of thought that if you are quick over two yards in the wide areas that is all you need. It's the quality of the delivery that counts, not how quick you get to the byline. 

I do think centre back is an area that needs addressing. As apparently so does Carlos.  I understand the club saying they wont be held to ransom with over inflated fees.....on the other hand, given the money we have forked out on forwards in the last 12 months I do think that we could have forgone one or two of them to get that central defensive player in, because over the long run you're never going to keep 7 strikers happy!

Making you right there, I'm baffled

On 2017-5-18 at 20:46, davethemagicweasel said:

.  For whatever reason the recruitment and tactical plan haven't lined up so we've ended up recruiting lots of squad players without much changing the first XI, a mistake we need to avoid this summer.

If it's Carlos' fault it's an argument to change, if he's not been in charge of transfers then we need to make sure whoever picks the signings actually asks the manager what he wants.

Are we still using this arrangement, perhaps?

Ones thing is for sure,  the signings at times have seemed at odds with the general plan...or vice versa 

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/07/report-sheffield-wednesday-renew-partnership-with-doyen-sports-f/

21 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The reason we do that is to compensate for our two man midfield, often a lightweight two man midfield Don't agree with doing it, but that's the reason

4 hours ago, Dagmeister said:

Spot on. One thing that we 100% agree on.

Which only makes the loan signings of old fashioned wingers like McManaman and Buckley all the more strange...

It does  genuinely make you wonder who is making the signings.

Also I wonder about whether that consultancy scouting arrangement we had last season wasn't a bit of an eggs in basket situation.

After all. The scouting consultancy firm also have a stable of agents under their umbrella and it doesn't seem beyond question that they would be permanently pushing their own players over ones that might be a better fit.

I also notice that a lot of our younger players seem to be getting represented by the same agency.

Whether that is a good thing or not also remains open to debate. But probably one for another time.  

Edited by Lord Snooty