Replace amazing with encouraging and I'd agree.

Would be encouraging in terms of being a sign of intent.

But I'd still argue we should have bought a younger player on the up.

Bent and a young player on the up would be great. But we have Lavery, May, Bus, and maybe, just maybe Keane will sign?? Would a player in Bents bracket be the older head needed, so that our young players can actually start to get on a upward curve?? Obviously I don't know what Bent is like as a squad player. His press coverage has been a bit sketchy on that side of things. Any similar out there to Bent?

Guest sotonowl

We need young tropps, loyal to the flag, not old mercenaries looking for pay days.

We need young tropps, loyal to the flag, not old mercenaries looking for pay days.

Troops

Darren Bent is the next laughing stock of English football ala Hesky/Jeffers ect

No. I don't agree, I think that's harsh. I'm not a big fan of his but he has obviously much more talent than those pair you mentioned. I think he's a decent striker and has been much-maligned by some. There are many better than him, but I'd put him up there, or thereabouts, with English goals Scorers in recent years. A moody bugger as well!

Troops

I wouldn't put him in the out and out mercenary category just yet. He was mothballed for a long time at Villa and I suspect that hasn't helped his career path. Would he want to be at Derby or a Prem club for a good few years.? He obviously wanted to play football. I suspect he demanded a fair chunk too. But he's played well for County, so perhaps can't be judged as a mercenary just yet...

Would take him in a heartbeat.

Scores goals.

Simple as. Has done everywhere he's been at a standard much higher than the Championship. Banged them in on loan for Derby when he wasn't even a regular starter.

Imagine wages will be a huge problem so very unlikely.

Guest Daniel Walker

Bent is not good enough I've seen some say yet people want maguire or lavery up front 😂

Darren bent is CLASS

Definite yes, even if he wasn't the first choice striker he'd be a great addition to the squad, knows where the back of the net is and how to find it... Not a pretty footballer but can get key goals in key moments, great impact sub potentially.

Darren Bent is the next laughing stock of English football ala Hesky/Jeffers ect

What on Earth makes you think that?

By the way if "laughing stock" consists of 4 league cup winners medals, an a FA Cup winners medal and a UEFA Cup winners medal...not to mention the 60 odd England caps, then where do I sign up to be one of these laughing stocks?!

Edited by Saxondale

Wages would be massive.

We are probably looking at seven or eight new signings and bringing someone like him in would take up a sizeable portion of any budget.

Then I'd say no, we can find a different kind of striker. Strikers like Darren Bent are a bit of luxury, and we'd probably better with a player who contributed more for the team