Offside.

When was the last time that you have seen an offside given when the incident was similar to today

I cannot recall a player being given offisde just in the opposition half when another player runs on to receive the ball

Refs let play develop to see which player gets the ball

Goals are awarded where players in very advanced offside positions are in line with the ball when a shot goes in etc etc

The rules have changed - you can ignore them all you like but it is what it is

I think he's getting a little confused because he only bothered reading the first couple of pages of the rules.

It does seem to say that a player can only be given offside if they receive the ball. But then it goes on to explain that an active player is any player affecting the play (e.g. through deception of the opposition defence).

...yet he has the audacity to dissmiss my comments because I apparently don't understand ther game like he does.

That's why I threw my teddies out of the pram Scram. Like I said before, it's a judgement call, and you have no more authority on the subject than anyone else. All our opinions are valid. Some are just a little more informed than others.

Edited by George Whitebread

When was the last time that you have seen an offside given when the incident was similar to today

I cannot recall a player being given offisde just in the opposition half when another player runs on to receive the ball

Refs let play develop to see which player gets the ball

Goals are awarded where players in very advanced offside positions are in line with the ball when a shot goes in etc etc

The rules have changed - you can ignore them all you like but it is what it is

That's not what happened though. He didn't run back onside, then turn and join in. He ran straight into the position he scored from.

That's not what happened though. He didn't run back onside, then turn and join in. He ran straight into the position he scored from.

In the 2nd phase....

And it happens all the time but most fans don't bother about it because it doesn't affect them

But those are the rules

Edited by scram

In the 2nd phase....

And it happens all the time but most fans don't bother about it because it doesn't affect them

But those are the rules

He was clearly active though in the 1st phase never mind what happened after... are you seriously suggesting when that ball was played forward neither of the two forwards were gaining an advantage or involved actively in the play?

In the 2nd phase....

But those are the rules

He was affecting the positioning and runs of the defenders throughout that 'section' of play. So whether you want to call it another phase of play each time someone takes a touch or not. He was active in all the "phases" that lead to the goal.

He was clearly active though in the 1st phase never mind what happened after... are you seriously suggesting when that ball was played forward neither of the two forwards were gaining an advantage or involved actively in the play?

He wasn't active

Those are the rules

When was the last time you saw an offside given in those circumstances - because i can't remember one

He wasn't active

Those are the rules

When was the last time you saw an offside given in those circumstances - because i can't remember one

What circumstances ?

If that was given offside no one would have battered an eye lid.

And TV replays would have shown at least one player clearly off side.

It's no different to any other off side decisions made or not made....

What circumstances ?

If that was given offside no one would have battered an eye lid.

And TV replays would have shown at least one player clearly off side.

It's no different to any other off side decisions made or not made....

The circumstances where an inactive player was given offside when the active player was deemed onside?

I take the point that Vydra was offside (looking at the still phot) - but this isn't about Vydra

Under the ruling Ighalo wasn't offside - we see it all the time - a player who is initially in an "offside" position goes on to score a goal in a later phase

As i said - of we had scored such a goal there would be no debate on here whether the scorer was offside or not

Scram you're wrong

Ok

That incisive and rapier-like cutting edge debate sure leaves me stranded

Right looking at the rules id say that the bottom bit of page 10 is what happened in the game today but as Scram said as he didnt touch the ball page 14 applies BUT he did gain an advantage by being in an offside position.

15381010048_e85890e07a_s.jpgpage 10 by barmyowl1212, on Flickr

15380524449_c5e27c3131_s.jpgPage 14 by barmyowl1212, on Flickr

So to sum up FIFA need to change the rules. If a player is behind the last man its offside simple as that

Edited by barmyowl1212

The circumstances where an inactive player was given offside when the active player was deemed onside?

I take the point that Vydra was offside (looking at the still phot) - but this isn't about Vydra

Under the ruling Ighalo wasn't offside - we see it all the time - a player who is initially in an "offside" position goes on to score a goal in a later phase

As i said - of we had scored such a goal there would be no debate on here whether the scorer was offside or not

Ok

That incisive and rapier-like cutting edge debate sure leaves me stranded

No need to debate, you're wrong , it's that simple, glad we have cleared that up.