would you be happy with.....

if only we weren't a joke off the field . but we are so lee will go for free as will Maguire !

We might still be a mess, but we're not that bad anymore! Not unless we get relegated again and they want to leave. Releasing our key players was a Dave Allen trick.

Would I take £1.5M for Lee right now? Yes.

Reasons: Final year of contract, worries about recurring injuries, could source 2 first team players with the cash.

We have a habit on this website of significantly overvaluing our players. The "£20M Defence" being the prime example. What we have failed to do, as a club, over the time I've been a Wednesday fan is to cash in on players when they're at their peak value & this usually leads to them deteriorating as a player & ultimately offering us a very small return. If we'd have sold the likes of Beevers, Spurr, Simek, Owen Morrison, JJ, Brunt, Whelan, Reda etc. etc. when they were at the peak of their performance, and re-invested that money into cheaper players with big potential we probably wouldn't have had quite such a bad time of things over the last 20 years. Not that I think we should be a "selling club", I just think we haven't achieved the revenue potential that we have had in the squad over the years, which has left us very short of cash.

Would I take £1.5M for Lee right now? Yes.

Reasons: Final year of contract, worries about recurring injuries, could source 2 first team players with the cash.

We have a habit on this website of significantly overvaluing our players. The "£20M Defence" being the prime example. What we have failed to do, as a club, over the time I've been a Wednesday fan is to cash in on players when they're at their peak value & this usually leads to them deteriorating as a player & ultimately offering us a very small return. If we'd have sold the likes of Beevers, Spurr, Simek, Owen Morrison, JJ, Brunt, Whelan, Reda etc. etc. when they were at the peak of their performance, and re-invested that money into cheaper players with big potential we probably wouldn't have had quite such a bad time of things over the last 20 years. Not that I think we should be a "selling club", I just think we haven't achieved the revenue potential that we have had in the squad over the years, which has left us very short of cash.

Name me a better CM than Lee we'd be able to reinvest this £1.5m for?

Name me a better CM than Lee we'd be able to reinvest this £1.5m for?

I'd imagine that there would have to be an element of taking a punt on a replacement. I don't really have intimate knowledge of who's available and for what price. What I would say is that I'd never heard of Stevie May before we went in for him, I'm sure there are plenty of hidden gems around, if not in the UK, then abroad.

My question to you, is there a club that would be willing offer us £1.5M for Lee? He seems to be the type of player that would fall under the radar of other clubs.

all players have a price and if 1.5 million was all that was offered then the club would have to think very hard coz he could end up leaving for nothing .......once the player knows in demand at that price he could sit tight see out his contract and know he could pocket most of the fee for himself.ideally the club could offer him a new deal but i´d guess his wage demand would jump astronomically and whether we would do that in the present financial state is debatable.

I'd imagine that there would have to be an element of taking a punt on a replacement. I don't really have intimate knowledge of who's available and for what price. What I would say is that I'd never heard of Stevie May before we went in for him, I'm sure there are plenty of hidden gems around, if not in the UK, then abroad.

My question to you, is there a club that would be willing offer us £1.5M for Lee? He seems to be the type of player that would fall under the radar of other clubs.

Disagree entirely, he doesn't score goals, his name is barely mentioned in the media, he goes about his business very quietly imo, there are 2 types of people who can fully appreciate Kieran Lee...Wednesday fans and Oldham fans.

Disagree entirely, he doesn't score goals, his name is barely mentioned in the media, he goes about his business very quietly imo, there are 2 types of people who can fully appreciate Kieran Lee...Wednesday fans and Oldham fans.

That's exactly what I was saying. He's the type of player that wouldn't necessarily attract the attention of other (buying) clubs and therefore it's unlikely that anyone would even offer £1.5M for him. Hence there may be other Kieran Lees out there that we could go and pick up for half, or less, than a £1.5M fee for Lee.

all players have a price and if 1.5 million was all that was offered then the club would have to think very hard coz he could end up leaving for nothing .......once the player knows in demand at that price he could sit tight see out his contract and know he could pocket most of the fee for himself.ideally the club could offer him a new deal but i´d guess his wage demand would jump astronomically and whether we would do that in the present financial state is debatable.

Spot on.

Apologies i misread your post. I think though £1.5m is far too cheap for a player like Lee, such a talented player. I think if someone came in with that offer, we'd be better listening to his contract demands, if he wanted to leave then similar to Antonio let him go, but i'd be driving it up more than 1.5

Edited by Tom22709