Sentiment or Ability?

Is Semedo a player the fans want in the team by sentiment or is he good enough to play in this league?

Some have suggested that we switched to a 4-5-1 to accomodate for Ross Barkley but could it have also been to accomodate for Semedo and his limited ability at going forward.

Before anyone bites my head off I am a big fan of Semedo and the job that he does for us. I am not suggesting that he is dropped or moved on. I just want to know what other people think about how he has adapted so far this season and if they think he has enough ability to fit into a 4-4-2 in the Championship?

I suppose we will find out in the next few weeks now Barkley has been recalled.

I know DJ wouldn't play him for those reasons. I don't want this to come accross as negative because he is one of the most passionate and hardworking players we have had for a long long time. I hope with Barkley gone he can really shine like he did last season.

I really don't understand why people want to try and recreate last seasons team. We were promoted because player for player we probably better players in key positions than most of our rivals. If we played that side in this league could anyone argue we would have better players than any of our rivals?

Now Barkley has gone I think he may go back to playing 4-4-2.

It seemed like he did on Saturday with Barkley in team so it will be interesting to see the line up against Leicester Saturday.

We have a lot of midfielders fighting for a place at the moment and I am not 100% sure I have seen enough from any of them to be able to pick our best midfield at the moment and I have only missed about three games home and away.

I really don't understand why people want to try and recreate last seasons team. We were promoted because player for player we probably better players in key positions than most of our rivals. If we played that side in this league could anyone argue we would have better players than any of our rivals?

Don't know about that but I think that last years team would have done loads better than this season's shambles so far. Better organised, more cohesive and I suspect more committed.

Edited by Dagmeister

In its entirety it would definitely have had the advantage of a better team spirit. In terms of quality, it would have been found out big time.

Maybe in time but DJ changed things too quickly and has been too intransigent. The team that went unbeaten on the run in would not be in this position now I am certain. DJ has not got the best out of his players, be it old or new and that is my real worry.

tbh guru that could work the oposite way mate ,could this side repeat what last years side did ,

on paper yes they could but you know andi know in the real world paper teams never work

just playing devils advocate

I think he's done okay.

He has his limitations and we all know what those are but he does the ugly jobs that no one else seems to in midfield. I think we'd get steam rolled in midfield without him.

We were crying out for this type of player in the days of O'Connor and Potter, let's not write him off just yet.

Is Semedo a player the fans want in the team by sentiment or is he good enough to play in this league?

Some have suggested that we switched to a 4-5-1 to accomodate for Ross Barkley but could it have also been to accomodate for Semedo and his limited ability at going forward.

Before anyone bites my head off I am a big fan of Semedo and the job that he does for us. I am not suggesting that he is dropped or moved on. I just want to know what other people think about how he has adapted so far this season and if they think he has enough ability to fit into a 4-4-2 in the Championship?

I suppose we will find out in the next few weeks now Barkley has been recalled.

always thought too much is made of this 'holding ' cliche - defensive midfielders have always been around but ever since Makalele arrived at Chelsea it seems everyone has to have a 'holding ' one

having said that if ever a Wednesday player operated in a Makalele way it is Semedo , but Makalele always had a midfielder either side (lampard/ballack ) and two wide men (Cole. Duff./ malouda) with drogba up top - so a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1

dont think he has enough all round game for a 4-4-2 and DJ did say on RS that he needs to learn and improve other aspects of game (ie passing)

but he'll always be a legend (and magic !)