Ross Barkley

Guest waistline ye diddle

Ross Barkley is the best on the ball player we have had since probably either Sibon or Brunt, but as with those two (also happened with Whelan) people seem to forget their quality on the ball and just tally up how many slide tackles they make a game

What he says.

He's a quality player just needs to be given more of a licence to do what he does best. needs to get forward more.

Blaming him is one of the most backward thing I've read on here.

Guest wilyfox

Barkley had a bad game, but generally he's done very well - and the odds are he'll perform better in our next game. I'm looking forward to the return of Chris Lines. His experience could have been of benefit lastnight. I'd like to see him in there with Semedo and Barkley. Corry and McCabe should be played when the occasion suits - or when they're ready, and not out of necessity. They're still learning their trade.

Barkley has had a decent game at Burnley a good game at Ipswich a good second half against Peterborough and thats it with the rest being poor. 18 or not you get your place on merit. He cant tackle, cant mark, and often runs into blind alleys. Maybe we should put Messi's nipper in because he is going to be a reight player in 18 years time. Lets look to the present not another teams future.

Guest wilyfox

Barkley has had a decent game at Burnley a good game at Ipswich a good second half against Peterborough and thats it with the rest being poor. 18 or not you get your place on merit. He cant tackle, cant mark, and often runs into blind alleys. Maybe we should put Messi's nipper in because he is going to be a reight player in 18 years time. Lets look to the present not another teams future.

You're overreacting to one bad performance. He carries the ball well, driving runs from midfield, terrific range of passing, can beat a player to deliver a cross or get a shot away, is potent in front of goal, two-footed, vision to pick out a pass, and will get better and better. He does track back, though defensive duties are not his primary concern - he still spared Corry's blushes by clearing up lastnight. Semedo and Corry were in there to sit, protect, and keep things ticking over. Barkley's role is more forward-thinking.

You name me a player that has been consistent in out side this season then?

Guest JonTheOwl66

The present is - he's won us two games almost single-handedly.. Peterborough and Ipswich. Two games that if we'd lost, we'd be really, really in trouble.

I stand by what I put last night. I was in a shocking mood but still, the fact is that he's invisible for large portions of most matches. Ipswich gave him the time to do what he does best and I'm not denying that he's got real class about him but no other team will give him that time.

As others have now mentioned; how does developing him actually help us? I'm not measuring him on "how many slide tackles he puts in" and obviously I'd have him over JOC but the fact is that right now he's just not performing for us.

Guest JonTheOwl66

This is the problem, the longer this goes on, the more new cracks will appear. I can't believe its taken DJ so long to start to do something about the problem, a problem that I agree is of his own making

The only mistake Jones has made is not signing Danny Batth.

Guest wilyfox

The only mistake Jones has made is not signing Danny Batth.

I'd argue over Treacy as well. DJ got more out of him in two months than Burnley have managed in a year and a half. I'd hoped he'd return.

I stand by what I put last night. I was in a shocking mood but still, the fact is that he's invisible for large portions of most matches. Ipswich gave him the time to do what he does best and I'm not denying that he's got real class about him but no other team will give him that time.

As others have now mentioned; how does developing him actually help us? I'm not measuring him on "how many slide tackles he puts in" and obviously I'd have him over JOC but the fact is that right now he's just not performing for us.

I stand by what I said too, I think you are wrong, I've seen glimpses of unbelievable skill for an 18 year old lad, you name me a player in our midfield that has been any better throughout the season then?

Signaling just him was madness.

I stand by what I said too, I think you are wrong, I've seen glimpses of unbelievable skill for an 18 year old lad, you name me a player in our midfield that has been any better throughout the season then?

Signaling just him was madness.

That's fair enough; people aren't going to agree on everything.

I think the entire side has been bad, but while people mention almost everyone else it's as if he's immune to criticism. I've said already that his age is irelevant because it is not us who will benefit when he hits his peak. For us it all comes down to what he does now and in my opinion it too often isn't much so it's pointless having him here.

I'm a big supporter of Dave Jones and feel he will get things right. However, I don't think there can be any doubt that we got our summer recruitment horribly wrong. Thats not to say we didn't sign some good players, we did. Even some of those who look not so clever now may still come good. However, there were glaring pieces of the jigsaw missing and this is what has hampered us and I can't believe its only now that we are trying to do something about it. Still, as I keep saying, what's done is done, its what he does now that matters

That's fair enough; people aren't going to agree on everything.

I think the entire side has been bad, but while people mention almost everyone else it's as if he's immune to criticism. I've said already that his age is irelevant because it is not us who will benefit when he hits his peak. For us it all comes down to what he does now and in my opinion it too often isn't much so it's pointless having him here.

But look at the players, the system around him, it's also not fair to just come out with the sole aim at him when others have been far more worse, yes you could argue that playing young lads in the centre of midfield isn't ideal but hey, the book lies with the manager on that one.

Barkley isn't immune either, some people were slating him before they saw what he could do.

Guest mpinkie182

It's threads like this in wich our players should not read Owlstalk. He is a young player yes, has potential and is on e of the better CM we have had in recent years. get behind our boys!

It's threads like this in wich our players should not read Owlstalk. He is a young player yes, has potential and is on e of the better CM we have had in recent years. get behind our boys!

I do get behind the team and he may have some talent but your statement that he is one of the better CM in recent years isnt a ringing endorsement for his England prospects it it Look at some of the rubbish we have had. Not exactly had Zidane, Matthaus, or Pirlo have we?