Local Derby?

I keep seeing the usual cliches about form going out of the window in a local derby etc., but is that actually relevant?

How many players on the pitch on Friday will actually come from either Sheffield or Leeds? How many even come from this country? Is it REALLY going to be a "local derby" for them?

Just another game for them, with added spice for supporters I fancy. Of course we can hope for some of that passion to rub off, but surely no more than that.

Guest Bri The owl

Yorkshire derby true! But am I excited, no! There's only one derby ! Wednesday against the "pigs" would I be excited about that ! You bet your life I would be !!!!!!

I think coming from Sheff or Leeds or even this country is slightly irrelevant. You can look at every derby in the country and say the same thing, but there's just something about a derby that is slightly different from any other game.

We've not played Leeds for a couple of years now so that will add to the occasion. It's not in the same league as playing United but its certainly a big game- Probably our biggest game at home this season.

Warnock will have his players up for it with his United connections and we'll have to respond to that, which we will.

Would love to see Meggo on the touchline for this one!

It's a Yorkshire derby - Fact !!

Like Wednesday vs Carlisle is a north of England derby.

You can make a derby out of anything you want, but there will only ever be one real derby for Wednesday..... The steel city derby.

We play dingles. Just another game with a little more of a want to win it. Same with Leeds. Same with Spirites. Same with flour heads. Apart from big games like vs Wycombe last season you only get a "special" atmosphere for one game. And it aint against Leeds.

Guest on the band wagon

It is a local derby and whether its just proximity they have sold out and would have sold more if we gave them any. If the our ices were more reasonable at Leeds we could take 5k. There is city rivalry and alot would say if they could only win 2 games, those against them would feature prominently

It's not against the pigs, that is our derby and means everything to us but games against the local teams have an extra element. We took thousands to Derby the there is an edge to facing Leeds IMO

Warnock will have his players up for it with his United connections and we'll have to respond to that, which we will.

Would love to see Meggo on the touchline for this one!

This is my big concern,will DJ match those 2 for motivating his players or is it 'just another 3 points' a la bryan robson???????????

This is my big concern,will DJ match those 2 for motivating his players or is it 'just another 3 points' a la bryan robson???????????

This worries me also. There was a Cardiff fan on here a while back saying he treats derbies like 'any other game'. Guess we'll see on Friday. If we aren't up for it like they will be we'll get hammered.

Real Derbies are between same city clubs

As an outside of Sheffield lad, I disagree, but can see why you would be of that oppinion.

To say that Pompey vs The Scummers isn't a 'real' derby is just lunacy. If you've ever been to Portsmouth and spoke to a proper Pompeyite about those lot 17 miles north west of Portsea Island I think you may think otherwise.