Guess The Team For Burnley Or What It Should Be !

So what do we reckon Dave Jones is going to throw up for the Burnley game? JJ at right back was a surpise but I though he actually played pretty well considering. Just goes to show some players CAN play out of position. Anyway back to basics again, come Tuesday:

Kirkland (although very poor positional play for free kick AGAIN for a set play)

Buxton (assuming fit) if not Lee (assuming fit) if not JJ

Gardner

Taylor

Reda (assuming fit) if not Mattock

Antonio

Semedo

McCabe (assuming fit) if not then I suppose Barkley)

Mayor

JJ (behind the striker if not having to play at right back!!!) If at right back COG just to get back to last seasons strikeforce.

Madine

Some points to raise:

Mattock, looked much better at left back but still easily turned appears slow(ish), decent distrubution, never ever play right back again!!! Encouraging.

Taylor/Gardner - looked more solid as a partnership in the centre, Gardner did a few daft things mainly thinking he was Messi at one point

Mayor - Looked composed and willing when he came on

Bothroyd - Won everything in the air - needs to get fit

COG - He's not the hero and not the answer.

And the last point to raise - possibly DJ's last chance as manager of SWFC?

I hope your wrong that it could be his last game but say a 4-0 hammering and it will which is astonishing as 4 weeks ago he could walk on water at S6

I hope so to mate, but 7 defeats in a row is not acceptable to any chairman let alone MM.

But again if we had got that penalty early doors, who knows. Luck again or bad refeering (again).

Kirkland

JJ Taylor Gardner Mattock

Antonio Barkley Semedo Mayor

Bothroyd O'Grady

Defensively we were better today so I'd keep the back four as it is. JJ's pace is very, very useful in there to fill in. Mattock did well and the two in the middle were much more what we thought we were getting when we signed them.

Antonio's end product today was horrendous. But he carries the ball forwards, and looks more likely to make things happen than anyone else. Pecnik struggled today and Mayor looked bright after he came on so I'd throw him in for a start. He was direct and injected a little momentum to our play when we had the ball- something which was hugely needed.

Bothroyd's attitude looks all wrong, but we know he is a quality player and the fact that he (and we as a team) aren't scoring isn't because of him. His lack of goals isa symptom of the problem- not the problem itself. The fundamental issue is our lack of creativity from midfield, not helped by how deep our back four is playing. Pushing up just 10 yards would, in my opinion, make a massive difference to our play. Bothroyd was ridiculously isolated today- the whole team needs to shift slightly closer to him.

Burnley away is always a difficult game, and even more so on a Tuesday night, but it is MUCH more winable than Wolves away IMO.

isn't every game a managers last chance to some extent? and I'm being serious here. is there any manager who wouldn't suffer the sack after a completely disastrous result (read this as meaning the most embarrassing game of football ever). What I'm saying is that, if the team show promise and signs that things are going to change, then he should be ok. It's not just black and white.

Imagine if we're winning the game with 1 minute to go, concede a couple of suspect goals, you would think DJ would be sacked for that would you?

Guest Old Salt

Kirkland

Lee

Llera

Buxton

Reda

Antonio

Semedo

McCabe

Mayor

Cog or Rodney

Madine

Should be

.....but mattock, Gardner, Taylor, barkley and boothroyd will probably play (badly).

isn't every game a managers last chance to some extent? and I'm being serious here. is there any manager who wouldn't suffer the sack after a completely disastrous result (read this as meaning the most embarrassing game of football ever). What I'm saying is that, if the team show promise and signs that things are going to change, then he should be ok. It's not just black and white.

Imagine if we're winning the game with 1 minute to go, concede a couple of suspect goals, you would think DJ would be sacked for that would you?

After 6 straight defeats yes probably. What I as many of us don't want is Jones sacking. We haven't had a stable management for god knows how long now. DJ is a good manager, we all know that. The main worry is MM, hopefully he will stick with him for the time being.

Burnley, Hull, Leeds coming up, it could all change, 3 wins possible and we are touching top 8 again. In reality 5 points is probably the minimum expected?

Kirkland

Lee

Llera

Buxton

Reda

Antonio

Semedo

McCabe

Mayor

Cog or Rodney

Madine

Should be

.....but mattock, Gardner, Taylor, barkley and boothroyd will probably play (badly).

Seriously? Llera & Buxton in the centre? Llera as much as we all love him, has played some stinkers and was rightly dropped. Buxton is a right back now, and works well with Antonio/JJ on that wing. Although he hasn't looked like last seasons performances (none of them have!!!) he is our best right back at the moment.

Guest Old Salt

Seriously? Llera & Buxton in the centre? Llera as much as we all love him, has played some stinkers and was rightly dropped. Buxton is a right back now, and works well with Antonio/JJ on that wing. Although he hasn't looked like last seasons performances (none of them have!!!) he is our best right back at the moment.

Only Lee out of the four new defenders looks like he has added anything extra to what we had last season, therefore don't change them.

Only Lee out of the four new defenders looks like he has added anything extra to what we had last season, therefore don't change them.

Lee was average in his first game, really lightweight and will be targeted constantly for those cross field passes due to his height. Not very quick either.

Taylor & Gardner looked pretty decent today BUT both just wellied the ball rather than have any composure to pick a pass!

Hopefully we're starting to see the light at the end of the defensive tunnel, especially today but for one case of schoolboy defending but it's still alarming to watch when we get the ball and try to go forward. Earlier this season our hands got sore clapping individual skill, passing , movement, pacy runs etc, not any more. I'm trying to ignore the thought that some of the players we brought in will never work preferring to remember previous examples of whole team performances turning around suddenly.

For Burnley I feel the loanees will continue to start, plus Madine who is probably more likely to score than any striker, and maybe Mayor who impressed me today when he came on, now he could be a gem.

I'm grasping at straws a bit but I can't wait to see what happens when we score first in a game.

Guest cypress hill

think even lol has no idea about your question

whatever 11 he puts out will lose.we dont even look to have the makings of a decent side or owt to build on

grim times

Guest SouthStand Gentleman

For Burnley I feel the loanees will continue to start, plus Madine who is probably more likely to score than any striker, and maybe Mayor who impressed me today when he came on, now he could be a gem.

I would definitely play Mayor, he looked class on the live stream, running with the ball, going past players with ease and spreading the ball around. He could well be a hidden gem!