My opinion on last nights side

Guest ™Goody™

Guest ™Goody™

Kirkland - I have seen people questioning his ability. I'm constantly tired of hearing "Bywater is a better organiser." That's fair enough but Bywater is a poo shot stopper. I've never rated the lad. Yes he seems a top bloke but we are playing football here and it's not about that. It's about whether he is cut out to do the job and in my eyes as a Championship goalkeeper he isn't. Kirkland has been a god send so far for us. I can't really fault him for any of the goals conceded. Some of the saves he has produced in his first few games here really does show why he was an England goalkeeper.

Joe Mattock - So far a bad signing. I saw him at Sheffield FC pre season and he wasn't lighting stuff up then. He played against Brighton and got absolutely trashed. Brighton picked our weakness, played to it and beat us comfortably might I add - just like Huddersfield did last night. People are also saying the old trick of "He's a left back playing at right back." I'm sorry but that's no excuse. He is a professional footballer. He gets paid to play there. All footballers should have their own strengths but also be able to adapt to playing either on the left or right. Last night this lad looked absolutely lost. He was too slow to pass the ball, I don't think he actually won a header and the only thing he did well was get himself sent off. His yellow card was harsh but as soon as Huddersfield went down to 10 it was only a matter of time before we did too. Now Buxton is out he surely has to play Kieran Lee there as we don't have anyone else.... oh sorry there is JJ :)

Mark Beevers - A player we seemed to have been developing for the past x amount of years. He's of a mature age now and he now needs to start stepping up his game. At times he lacked confidence of his own positioning, heading the ball, passing was sluggish and he generally looked "nervous" about his own play.

Martin Taylor - I know he's only played 2 games but he so far is nothing other than a thick piece of meat. He sort of reminds me of a Lee Bullen ish centre half. Doesn't want to play football he would rather boot it than get it down and take control of things at the back. Llera is a player who will do this. I don't think he's the man to get the team organised but ever since he first signed he has always been a player to get the ball down and play balls in to the feet of the midfielders or our attackers. His long ball actually means something. Rather than something that's just kicked forward he makes it hit the player he wants. That is something you will rarely find defenders doing.

Reda - I've said from day one he should learn how to take throw-ins. He then goes and gives a foul throw away at our corner flag. For me Reda hasn't been half the player he was last season. Not sure if its the step up, lack of fitness etc. He just seems hit and miss. The stuff he got away with last season isn't going to happen this season and he is getting found out slowly. Other than that he seems to be the only man we have who can win a ball from a corner.

JJ - So far this season he has definitely been at the top of his game for me. He is the one along with Antonio that our attacks have come from. He looks dangerous most times he gets the ball. I cannot understand why when we go down to 10 men decide to play him at right full back. That certainly has to be a gary megson / Alan Irvine decision surely? You don't go down to 10 men and then put our most inform player of the season at full back. We had Llera / Dan Jones (although not good enough) on the bench. Why not move them in to the fray. Llera could have gone centre back and then move Beevers in at right back? - Was very strange

Antonio - Never really came to life I didn't think till the first sending off. After half time there was only him who could actually create a goal for us with him moving JJ back. He was my man of the match last night. He did an awful lot of running down that line. Huddersfield realised he was the threat in the second half and put 2/3 men on him.

Barkley - Supposed to be one of the next England starlets. Judging on that performance he wouldn't get in my Sunday side! We had what something like 11 corners throughout the game and I think only 1 beat the first man. Everything he did was shocking. Lost the ball in possession a few times. Reminded me of Kenny Lunt. Definitely a left and right player. Didn't look the attacking midfielder that he is supposed to be. With Semedo on the pitch he should have been the one driving forward. I've seen none of that so far.

Semedo - Didn't look himself and I was sure it was only a matter of time before he got taken off. I don't think he is actually doing much wrong. I just think he needs to get back doing the basics that he did last season.

Bothroyd - Don't really know what to say. Didn't hold the ball up at all and gave up on the ball several times thinking it was going out. Not sure what O'Grady has done wrong but he still for me is our best striker. Dave must have some grudge against him. He needs to start and he certainly has been one of our impact strikers so far this season.

Madine - Didn't do an awful lot wrong. The sending off didn't help and someone had to be taken off. I hope he soon gets in to gear it just seems he hasn't had enough game time yet.

The last time we lost 3 games like this im sure it was when Megson got sacked. I'm not wanting to start a Dave Jones out thread as I love the guy and think he's done a tremendous job. I just think certain decisions he makes are somewhat strange. - So far this season at least.

He could see Mattock was struggling from the off last night. He should have subbed him off at the 20 minute mark when we went 2-0 down.

Credit to Huddersfield though, they did their homework, saw our threats, saw our weaknesses and tore us a new one.

I am a realist when it comes to matches and decisions. The first penalty was a stone wall pen. JJ certainly didn't mean to trip the guy as it looked like he stumbled but clipped him too. If it was anywhere else on the pitch it was a foul. So why not a penalty.

The 2nd goal was poor marking and what I though an excellent finish and the second penalty was very very harsh. The ref should have grown a pair and over ruled him. It looked to me like "Ball to hand" not a deliberate hand ball at all. The linesman certainly got it wrong. I'd have to see it again to make a full decision though.

I know we will turn it around. Dave will find his strengths and weaknesses and we will soon be able to get a good run of games going. This league is a much better standard than League 1 and we need to quickly adapt to it. Last nights performance was certainly up there with one of the worst I've seen for a very long time. I'm sure we will get it right.

Up the Owls!

Edited by ™Goody™

I stopped reading after the JJ bit.

JJ last night contributed 3 things. A little run on the edge of their box, where instead of looking up and passing to a striker for an easy tap in, he skied it into the Leppings Lane end. This was followed by giving away a stupidly awful penalty. Admittedly right back isn't his best position, but when switched there, that fresh air kick on the half way line was a belter.

First few games he was on fire, last 5 or so he has been cryogenically frozen

Guest Leeswfc3

I stopped reading after the JJ bit.

JJ last night contributed 3 things. A little run on the edge of their box, where instead of looking up and passing to a striker for an easy tap in, he skied it into the Leppings Lane end. This was followed by giving away a stupidly awful penalty. Admittedly right back isn't his best position, but when switched there, that fresh air kick on the half way line was a belter.

First few games he was on fire, last 5 or so he has been cryogenically frozen

What a load of troff.

Reda - I've said from day one he should learn how to take throw-ins. He then goes and gives a foul throw away at our corner flag. For me Reda hasn't been half the player he was last season. Not sure if its the step up, lack of fitness etc. He just seems hit and miss. The stuff he got away with last season isn't going to happen this season and he is getting found out slowly. Other than that he seems to be the only man we have who can win a ball from a corner.

Fair overall assessment but the bit about Reda is a bit off.

He got into 6 or 7 good scoring positions last night and you pull him up on a foul throw!

Imo his contribution far outweighs his failings

Guest ™Goody™

Fair overall assessment but the bit about Reda is a bit off.

He got into 6 or 7 good scoring positions last night and you pull him up on a foul throw!

Imo his contribution far outweighs his failings

Thanks. I suppose that a Foul throw is a bit harsh. I suppose I couldn't pull him up on anything else last night. Other than his finishing :). Obviously we all know he can be key this season. I hope he just improves and hits top fitness and form soon.

Thanks. I suppose that a Foul throw is a bit harsh. I suppose I couldn't pull him up on anything else last night. Other than his finishing :). Obviously we all know he can be key this season. I hope he just improves and hits top fitness and form soon.

I thought it was Reda who wasn't marking for their 2nd goal?