Chris Lines

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

I'll start by saying i can't believe how much stick this guy gets still by some people, it showed last night we missed him big time and that's the first game he has missed in how long?

No he isn't a Steven Gerrard or a Frank Lampard but what he does is vitally important to us and he will be a big miss, yes it was against League One opposition but it still showed how much he was missed.

Against WBA he played really well and didn't look out of place and i firmly believe he can make the step up and still be a really important player for us.

Of course we still need to improve that area of the field not just because we seem a little weak there but also for competiton.

What is it with us and pre season? every year we seem to lose an important player just before we are about to kick off and he ends up being out for weeks..

I'll start by saying i can't believe how much stick this guy gets still by some people, it showed last night we missed him big time and that's the first game he has missed in how long?

No he isn't a Steven Gerrard or a Frank Lampard but what he does is vitally important to us and he will be a big miss, yes it was against League One opposition but it still showed how much he was missed.

Against WBA he played really well and didn't look out of place and i firmly believe he can make the step up and still be a really important player for us.

Of course we still need to improve that area of the field not just because we seem a little weak there but also for competiton.

What is it with us and pre season? every year we seem to lose an important player just before we are about to kick off and he ends up being out for weeks..

You need to appreciate the difference between cause and correlation.

The church clock chimes on the hour doesn't cause the 10:01 train to run.

We did miss him last night I agree, until we can bring in someone better, he's the best we have. One thing that struck me last night, if we are going to play with two out and out wingers like JJ and Antonio, we will need a really solid midfield partner for Semedo. The notion of someone strolling around picking out passes won't work. Personally I thought we looked more solid when we played Treacy, and better balanced. I think JJ and Antonio are a luxury we won't get away with in most championship games.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

We did miss him last night I agree, until we can bring in someone better, he's the best we have. One thing that struck me last night, if we are going to play with two out and out wingers like JJ and Antonio, we will need a really solid midfield partner for Semedo. The notion of someone strolling around picking out passes won't work. Personally I thought we looked more solid when we played Treacy, and better balanced. I think JJ and Antonio are a luxury we won't get away with in most championship games.

Fair comment - the full backs were exposed last night and I too suspect they will again if played together against certain opposition. Treacy does not tend to over commit and will play more balls into the box from the 18 yard line rather than getting to the by-line and be caught out. The fact we weren't able to pick up second balls through complacency, we missed someone holding the ball up and bringing each other into play in the first and DJ remedied that with CoG and Cokey.

The second half was almost Keeganesque and it succeeded with CK keeping them out - could have just as easily been 6-6.

We will need to keep the ball and be much more measured at times against most teams.

Guest dave jones n.1

You need to appreciate the difference between cause and correlation.

The church clock chimes on the hour doesn't cause the 10:01 train to run.

Odd ball

I think the inability to get hold of the ball and keep possession in that first half was what killed us. We resorted to long ball for a lot of the game, no coincidence that when COG came on, we started to win the flick ons and hold the ball a bit better.

Oldham pinned our wingers back by numbering up, and pushed them back. Semedo and Pecnik didnt get a second on the ball, and they harrassed the $hit out of reda and Buxton.

Lines is an important part of the midfield for us, but i doubt last night him being missing was the sole reason Oldham tore us apart in the first half.

BG wont ever give him credit, but Lines will be missed at various stages in these opening games.

Is this a bit like the we miss joc thread from last season?

JOC did a job that Megson gave him to do last season BG, we missed him when he left as we had a hole in the side that the remaining players didnt fill. Once we changes style and threw a couple of actual wingers in the mix, we started playing better.

I was as baffled as anyone why Megson persisted with JOC as a winger, wasnt something i agreed with, but he clearly was doing something right for Megson.

Guest Deleted member

To be fair the only people who berate Lines on here are those who would rather have adverse attention than none at all

Guest Big Guns

To be fair the only people who berate Lines on here are those who would rather have adverse attention than none at all

Or simply people who don't think he's very good ,and won't change there minds just to get in the click...

Guest WoodhouseOwl77

Or simply people who don't think he's very good ,and won't change there minds just to get in the click...

Or simply those who could not spot a decent footballer if it smacked them in the face!