Summer's nearly over

Competitive matches start tonight and It looks like we may still be after a centre forward and a centre half still but we're only a couple of weeks from the end of the transfer window.

So what is everyone's view of the close season? How do you rate the current squad and possible first eleven compared to what we had at the end of last season?

I'd like to see in 9 months time if people can look back and say "see I told you we would be good/bad/superb/awful" based on the players we have now.

Personally I think it's the best summer's business since before we left the Premier league. But then I was delighted two summers ago when we brought in Teale, Morrison and Sedgwick under Irvine so I'll not put much stock in my own opinion.

I'm pretty content with what we have. However, it will be like the start of last season where if you look back after the first handfull of games we had still yet to bring in Lowe, Marshall, O'Grady, Lines and switch Reda to LB. + Antonio, Treacy, Ranger all in later. With key signings still to arrive this season I suspect the team that starts against Derby will look decidedly different from the team which will start in Feb/March time. Exciting times ahead!

I personally don't think we need another centre half.

I agree to some extent. I really rate Beevers, but I think the starting pair will probably be Llera and Gardner. There's also Buxton and Reda that can play there so you might be right now that we have cover for the full back positions but the lack of a number 5 on the squad numbers makes me think DJ is looking for a CB.

Danny Gabbidon got a mention on here or twitter since he is without a club. Think he would be a good signing.

Guest keyser soze

Pretty confident of a top half finish next season. That's based largely on the belief that we'll still be active in the transfer/loan market.

I dont think it would hurt to have one more, but it certainly wouldn't be the top priority at this stage.

Think a winger and a striker still need to come in, and maybe another CM, but really pleased so far.

For a change though I agree with Big Guns, impossible to say with any real confidence until we've seen them all in competitive action.

I'm pretty happy with the way our transfers have panned out so far. We've got one of the two "must signs" from last year and we've made some signings of exciting foreign players and got a few prospects in too... what isn't there to like?? a job well done by lol on all accounts!

I would hope the days of someone like Lee Bullen filling in all over the place are long gone but for unusual emergencies? It's not healthy to have just one full time centre back in reserve to your starting pair before you have to start taking players from other positions and thus weakening the cover there too.

Guest shortpebble

I think we need a winger and a forward, bit worried about pecnic on the wing as even though he's got a good touch I think Steve McLean would beat him for pace, and we all know how rapid he was. With Antonio and JJ we need another winger possibly youngster on a season long loan from a prem club?