promotion......again

Guest Mexicowl

Guest Mexicowl

methinks our wba friend has it spot on ,all he is saying is learn to walk before you can run ,consolidation is priorety next season anything else is a bonus,

while i agree that consolidation is a realistic aim, saying we wont get 6 points off wolves is a bag of vvank

Guest Fedor

It looks like a very tough championship next season - very difficult to predict and as usualt most teams will be capable of beating everybody else

I'd say we're not looking one of the stronger outfits just yet but its hard to say

If i had to put money on it i wouldn't be backing us for promotion - i wouldn't be surprised if we are in and around the play-offs - but neither will i be surprised if we're nearer the bottom of the table either.

Bloody hell Scram you are sitting on the fence there a bit. Has Sij nicked your log in details.

I for one think we should be looking to consolidate this season. Would be happy with mid table, but as Scram says very unpredictable league the Championship this season

But your not that attractive as you seem to think Your stadium needs work, The Seals pack Villa Park each week, bigger club than you in every way imaginable. That may sound like a troll, but isn't. They were caught in the dogfight last season. the wage ceiling at ours at the moment is £40k a week, to sustain top level of the championship its 20k roughly. There is no shame in building to make sure you when you get there you stay. Look at Norwich ripped through two leagues had one in the prem and now the Manager's gone and the top players want to leave. Worst case scenario you hardcore numbers 16000 right? You pack Hillsbrough with 23000 plastics who watch your team get bully rammed week in week out. Think of the amount of bellyaching on here. You got promoted kudos and much love, but, even in this league there are teams that will rip you apart. Its HMS P1ss The League syndrome. Consildate then push on.

Excuse me on the figures but didn't Brian Robson say something like "Sheffield Wednesday would be worth 300 - 400 million in the Prem" he is not connected to us in the slightest so that's an unbiased opinion.

Villa struggled last season because their Chairman is tight fisted. They had a good thing with MO'N and threw it away. However your point on this is irrelevant to the discussion.

No disrespect is intended but we are a bigger club than West Brom and should we get to the Prem earlier than expected we will be competing for players with the likes of you, Norwich, Wigan, Stoke, QPR, Southampton, Swansea, Reading etc.

Attraction - Apart from QPR non of those towns I've just mentioned above is a bigger attraction than Sheffield and furthermore non of those stadiums I've just mentioned is bigger than Hillsborough. I could also talk about history, but I wont.

Just to clarify; my point is that players and agents wont view Wednesday as a "Blackpool" or "Burnley" should we go up. Yes we would more than likely have to assemble a new squad, but we will be in a much stronger position than what you are giving us credit for when competing for players.

Furthermore you have too look at how strong the bottom half of the Premiership really is - who went up last season

• QPR
  • Norwich
  • Swansea

All of those teams are still there. A couple of seasons back it was Newcastle - they've just had an excellent season. TBH even Blackpool held there own for a while.

This myth that teams will get spanked when they go up is just that... a myth. The bottom half of the Prem is not as strong as your making out and neither is the Championship, Brighton, L**ds, Norwich, Leicester, Southampton are examples of this.

In addition to that we've just signed some unknown foreign players. I haven't got the foggiest of how good they are so how the hell do you know how good they are? You don't!

Therefore to say that we will get "ripped apart" in this league is forming an opinion based on the fact we were a league one club last season. Nothing more.

Wednesday fans who say we should consolidate I can empathize with because apart from last season we have been poo pooe for 15 YEARS! It's a psychological thing and they don't want to get their hopes up to be let down.

Fans of other clubs who say we should "consolidate" are talking absolute bullpoo pooe.

Consolidate for what exactly? If we assemble a team that is good enough to get an automatic spot you think we should consolidate instead? collate our thoughts and give ourselves a pat on the back??? flip off! This is the type of poo pooe that clubs with no ambition have.

The only information I have to base on this coming season is this:-

• We have an excellent Chairman who will sack his manager in a flash if he's not performing
  • We have an excellent Manager who has managed at the top of this division and the bottom of the Prem; therefore knows what he's doing.
  • We have a team that went on an unbelievable run to end last season
  • Our fans are slowly but surely becoming more optimistic and more patient with our team.
  • Morale around the club has been at it's highest since the mid 90's.

If our funds and resources dictate that we only get a mid table spot this season then we accept that, but to try and aim for mid table as your are alluding to is just utter crap.

Guest Big Guns

Excuse me on the figures but didn't Brian Robson say something like "Sheffield Wednesday would be worth 300 - 400 million in the Prem" he is not connected to us in the slightest so that's an unbiased opinion.

Villa struggled last season because their Chairman is tight fisted. They had a good thing with MO'N and threw it away. However your point on this is irrelevant to the discussion.

No disrespect is intended but we are a bigger club than West Brom and should we get to the Prem earlier than expected we will be competing for players with the likes of you, Norwich, Wigan, Stoke, QPR, Southampton, Swansea, Reading etc.

Attraction - Apart from QPR non of those towns I've just mentioned above is a bigger attraction than Sheffield and furthermore non of those stadiums I've just mentioned is bigger than Hillsborough. I could also talk about history, but I wont.

Just to clarify; my point is that players and agents wont view Wednesday as a "Blackpool" or "Burnley" should we go up. Yes we would more than likely have to assemble a new squad, but we will be in a much stronger position than what you are giving us credit for when competing for players.

Furthermore you have too look at how strong the bottom half of the Premiership really is - who went up last season

• QPR
  • Norwich
  • Swansea

All of those teams are still there. A couple of seasons back it was Newcastle - they've just had an excellent season. TBH even Blackpool held there own for a while.

This myth that teams will get spanked when they go up is just that... a myth. The bottom half of the Prem is not as strong as your making out and neither is the Championship, Brighton, L**ds, Norwich, Leicester, Southampton are examples of this.

In addition to that we've just signed some unknown foreign players. I haven't got the foggiest of how good they are so how the hell do you know how good they are? You don't!

Therefore to say that we will get "ripped apart" in this league is forming an opinion based on the fact we were a league one club last season. Nothing more.

Wednesday fans who say we should consolidate I can empathize with because apart from last season we have been poo pooe for 15 YEARS! It's a psychological thing and they don't want to get their hopes up to be let down.

Fans of other clubs who say we should "consolidate" are talking absolute bullpoo pooe.

Consolidate for what exactly? If we assemble a team that is good enough to get an automatic spot you think we should consolidate instead? collate our thoughts and give ourselves a pat on the back??? flip off! This is the type of poo pooe that clubs with no ambition have.

• We have an excellent Chairman who will sack his manager in a flash if he's not performing
  • We have an excellent Manager who has managed at the top of this division and the bottom of the Prem; therefore knows what he's doing.
  • Our fans are slowly but surely becoming more optimistic and more patient with our team.

If our funds and resources dictate that we only get a mid table spot this season then we accept that, but to try and aim for mid table as your are alluding to is just utter crap.

Brilliant post

I was going to post exactly the same

lol

lol

I know it's a bit lengthy, but to be told by someone that we should consolidate before hitting the big time ignoring the fact that we've been consolidating for 15 years gets my back up.

No disrespect to "Baggie" is intended. S/he normally posts decent stuff and I've always liked West Brom as a club.

Just had to state my case.

methinks our wba friend has it spot on ,all he is saying is learn to walk before you can run ,consolidation is priorety next season anything else is a bonus,

Couldn't agree more and sometimes it takes an unbiased opinion from a third party to reign us in.

• QPR
  • Norwich
  • Swansea

Well this has stirred up a hornet's nest, first I will apologise my first post came accross as a Troll. which is something I said I'd never do here, it was out of order. However I'm not just going to blow smoke up your arse either, because I don't even that to my mates who are Owls.

Firstly Bryan Robson I wouldn't put too much faith in what he says a club is worth what a buyer is willing to pay could be much could be much more could be much less dependent on your ability to stay in the Prem. You're wrong about Villa MO'N spent 3 times his player budget only to miss out on europe, he then went back to Lerner for more money when Lerner questioned his spending he left in a huff much to our amusement.

Attraction. This is point I so spectacularly failed to make it's not about stadia the fans or anything tangible, it is about ability to stay in the Prem the longer you stay the more attractive you become. I stupidly mixed the fact that Hillsbrough needs updating a bit and it obscured my point. You mentioned QPR, Norwich and Swansea. Well QPR looked like they were going to be relegated until Hughes came and spent a vast amount in January. Norwich well Paul Lambert is at Villa and Grant Holt wants to leave because of lack of investment. Swansea Brendan Rodgers is at Liverpool so the jury's out on them.

Which brings me to the Championship. It looks on paper really hard this season Blackburn are mega spending, Wolves are keeping theirs, while actively weakening you (Danny Batth) Forest are the great unknowns with the new owners. I've got say I been bemused by some of your signings cause there has been wasted time, effort and money. on your part.We have a lot to thank Mr Jones for. I think you'll be ok under him. But I think you need to strengthen a lot