Foundation in 1867 Lounge.

On Saturday I intend speaking to someone at the club but meanwhile, does anyone know if David Smith, the catering manager still works for us ? The food in the 1867 has been poor since Lindley took over. I'd rather spend money with the club (I know Lindley get the profit but if they don't make a profit they won't renew their contract), but I'm not being ripped off. £2.95 for soup in a tiny bowl ! You'd get more in a cup-a-soup! £3.50 for ONE single pizza slice with no chips or salad ? Why not do chip butties ? Massive profit in a £2 chip buttie but none available.

Lots of people complaining and voting with their feet, I met some in the cafe, and last week at the chippie. 2 told me they were cancelling their Foundation membership as a result, a loss to the club of £208 a year plus money spent at 25 games.

On Saturday I intend speaking to someone at the club but meanwhile, does anyone know if David Smith, the catering manager still works for us ? The food in the 1867 has been poor since Lindley took over. I'd rather spend money with the club (I know Lindley get the profit but if they don't make a profit they won't renew their contract), but I'm not being ripped off. £2.95 for soup in a tiny bowl ! You'd get more in a cup-a-soup! £3.50 for ONE single pizza slice with no chips or salad ? Why not do chip butties ? Massive profit in a £2 chip buttie but none available.

Lots of people complaining and voting with their feet, I met some in the cafe, and last week at the chippie. 2 told me they were cancelling their Foundation membership as a result, a loss to the club of £208 a year plus money spent at 25 games.

In similar vein ( I have mentioned this in another post), in the Sourh Stand I asked for a portion of chips, and was quoted £2.20 for a small "cornet". I said "no thank you, I can get them with a fish for that price".

The shortening length of the queues at the counters is a clear indication that many people feel the same way.

In similar vein ( I have mentioned this in another post), in the Sourh Stand I asked for a portion of chips, and was quoted £2.20 for a small "cornet". I said "no thank you, I can get them with a fish for that price".

The shortening length of the queues at the counters is a clear indication that many people feel the same way.

Absolutely agree ! most fans want to support the club and accept that they will have to pay more inside the Stadium for food and drinks but it is really insensitive at this time to increase prices by such a large percentage. I think a lot of fans are saying the same and will be buying there pre-match food and drinks elsewhere .

Guest Romish Owl

The foundation is not about the food they serve, I joined to put money into the club and also to have a pint in decent surroundings before the match, as you said the food is a rip off so just get something before, BUT keep up with the foundation as that helps the club

Guest intercity0wl

As far as i know its a five year contract Lindleys and the club have just entered into, so renewing of contracts aint going to be an issue for a while yet.

Intercity, I'm aware of the business arrangements. Nevertheless, if Lindley don't make a decent profit over the period they will not be prepared to pay £8m next time. They won't make a profit if they don't sell anything! The Foundation is about helping the club AND fans getting together in cordial surroundings. I won't eat or drink there until things improve.

Guest intercity0wl

Intercity, I'm aware of the business arrangements. Nevertheless, if Lindley don't make a decent profit over the period they will not be prepared to pay £8m next time. They won't make a profit if they don't sell anything! The Foundation is about helping the club AND fans getting together in cordial surroundings. I won't eat or drink there until things improve.

Agree that the foundation is about helping the club, and hopefully winning a few quid in the proccess, have won the match hospitality prize and a tenner so far.

I must admit i dont use the foundation Bar much myself, unless weather and lack of time means its the only available option to get a pre match pint, its just not got the Pre match atmosphere my own personal Matchday experience requires, plus the only time i had some pre match food was before a night game and mi Carrots were Hard, and i hate Hard Carrots.

I cannot believe that people are cancelling their Foundation Membership because the food is not as good though, not saying its not true, just seems a bit extreme.

Edited by intercity0wl

Dave Smith tended his resignation upon the signing of the Lindley contract. Unfortunately he didn't see his job continuing to be tenable under the new Lindley regime after he was part of the team who forced them out in the first place!

I think it is clear to see that the quality of food has reduced (beres pies were better), the range of products has reduced (no pork sandwiches), the size of the food has been reduced, however the price of the food has increased.

This is a good strategy to increase profit margins if Lindley could get away with it, ultimately I think you'll find many customers spending money elsewhere rather than in the ground!

As a Sheffield Wednesday fan I'm slightly disappointed that this has reduced the matchday experience for some fans, but it was the best option for the club (reducing overheads, outsourcing catering, guarenteed profits rather than losses.) The club is better off financially so potentially can re-invest in better players on the pitch and that is why we come to Hillsborough, not for food (we can eat out at resteraunts for good food.)

Breathe lol (hard work on the iPhone)

Guest intercity0wl

Dave Smith tended his resignation upon the signing of the Lindley contract. Unfortunately he didn't see his job continuing to be tenable under the new Lindley regime after he was part of the team who forced them out in the first place!

I think it is clear to see that the quality of food has reduced (beres pies were better), the range of products has reduced (no pork sandwiches), the size of the food has been reduced, however the price of the food has increased.

This is a good strategy to increase profit margins if Lindley could get away with it, ultimately I think you'll find many customers spending money elsewhere rather than in the ground!

As a Sheffield Wednesday fan I'm slightly disappointed that this has reduced the matchday experience for some fans, but it was the best option for the club (reducing overheads, outsourcing catering, guarenteed profits rather than losses.) The club is better off financially so potentially can re-invest in better players on the pitch and that is why we come to Hillsborough, not for food (we can eat out at resteraunts for good food.)

While not for one minute argueing that the new deal is not better for the club in all the area's you mention, surely the club has some comeback if its paying customers are dissatified with the service provided ?, does the contract give Lindley carte blanche the right to provide whatever portion and quality of Food they wish, whilst at the same time charging whatever it see's fit ?.

The club only this week issued an appology to supporters affected by bad service provided to them by an out of house company who provide whole or part of the Wednesday Player service.

I would suggest that by word of mouth and other mediums such as this very forum, that the the message that the food provided at the ground is not of an acceptable standard and is highly priced is quickly spreading.

It will make not the slightest bit off difference what so ever whether it is the club or outsiders who are the providers, the plain and simple fact is that in the lounges and concourses of the ground, in the streets of the surrounding area, and in the workplaces of companys looking to book corporate events, the conversations will be that sheffield Wednesday provide poor value, and not that Lindleys provide poor value.

Edited by intercity0wl

Guest thewill

Out of interest, where is the 1860 lounge situated? Has anyone got any photos or info as I would like to join foundation (with the added benefit of somewhere nice to drink) but don't know where it is or what it's like.

Any info would be good. - I also think match day experience (catering etc) has somewhat got worse this season, especially the prices.

If that is true its a big loss for the club IMO , David Smith was very good at his job and allways a pleasure to deal with .

Guest intercity0wl

Out of interest, where is the 1860 lounge situated? Has anyone got any photos or info as I would like to join foundation (with the added benefit of somewhere nice to drink) but don't know where it is or what it's like.

Any info would be good. - I also think match day experience (catering etc) has somewhat got worse this season, especially the prices.

Just through Main reception to the left, it is indeed pleasant surroundings and there is a quiz and a raffle, but for me personally i would desribe the pre match atmosphee akin to that you would find at the Cremation of a much loved family pet, many seem to like it tho.

Guest thewill

Just through Main reception to the left, it is indeed pleasant surroundings and there is a quiz and a raffle, but for me personally i would desribe the pre match atmosphee akin to that you would find at the Cremation of a much loved family pet, many seem to like it tho.

Thanks. That's the trouble, want a nice place but with decent prematch atmosphere too.

See I don't mind paying the extra for decent quality food or drink but that's the problem, we're paying more for substantially lesser quality food. I'll stick to eating outside and maybe stretch to a half time bottle of beer. But, if it's warm again I may have to re-evaluate that too.