wednesday tattoo

Guest darlo owl

I can read your post. I'll be fooked if I know what it means though. What's ablative case?

Scuse me. I'm having a geek moment!

Latin words can be put into different "cases" (In simple terms, they can have various different endings stuck on them, which change the meaning).

For example:

consilium et animus = "wisdom and courage" (nominative case)

consilio et animis = "by wisdom and courage"; or "with wisdom and courage" (ablative case), ie. our motto.

Guest Triplej2

Latin words can be put into different "cases" (In simple terms, they can have various different endings stuck on them, which change the meaning).

For example:

consilio et animis = "by wisdom and courage"; or "with wisdom and courage" (ablative case), ie. our motto.

WIKI-TASTIC :biggrin:

For example:

flip I struggle with english! :biggrin:

But it means intentionally and at heart doesnt it? What's the Latin for wisdom? And what's the Latin for courage? Cos I've been told by a Latin scholar that it's not consilio and animis. Though she could have been winding me up, wouldn't be the first time.

Well, it's a bit of a loose translation I guess. Consilium means counsel, wisdom, judgment, things like that. Animus is heart, spirit, character, that sort of thing.

More naturally, you'd probably use sapientia for wisdom, and virtus or fortitudo for courage.

I realise (a) I've hijacked the thread, (b) I'm coming across like a right geek, and ( c) it's well past my bedtime. So I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Edited by Tyto

Well, it's a bit of a loose translation I guess. Consilium means counsel, wisdom, judgment, things like that. Animus is heart, spirit, character, that sort of thing.

More naturally, you'd probably use sapientia for wisdom, and virtus or fortitudo for courage.

I realise (a) I've hijacked the thread, (b) I'm coming across like a right geek, and © it's well past my bedtime. So I'll quite while I'm ahead.

Cheers for your input. Have to point out though, it's conlisio on our badge, not consilio as many mistakenly believe.