Learn Your Lessons Mr Irvine

Guest Ameezy

One of assets of a great manager is to learn the lessons from positive or negative outcomes. Mr Irvine has failed in this crucial aspect on numerous occasions this season:

1. The Bristol Rovers game showed that pressing the opposition and playing a high line wins you matches in this division. Pretty much every successful team in this league does this, and we did it against the Gas. Hoskins was our only problem in this game, let in by Purse and Beevers too many times. Thankfully with THE RADIATOR we've got a player who should be able to cover when the rest of the team sits high. However we've seen that Irvine reverted back to cautious play against Huddersfield and Charlton (teams we need to get 3 points from to get promotion/playoffs) and it's bitten us. Leyton Orient was the classic Irvine tactic: 1-0 up and ten men behind the ball.

2. Midfield enforcers win games for their team. Joey Gudjohnsson (at Hillsborough) and Kevin Kilbane (at the Galpharm Stadium) do the job for Huddersfield by winning the ball and playing it square to a more creative lad or wide to the wingers. Even the likes of Kishishev and Semedo have done us over this season. JOC is a hardworking lad but for no result, Miller should be the creator not the enforcer and Potter... well the less said the better. It's clear how desperate we are for Coke to return, unless MM gets out the chequebook and signs a player in this mould (not a popular choice I imagine but Sean Derry would be a perfect candidate - annoying to play against but great to have in your team).

3. There has to be a clear link for midfield and attack. This is either done by pace on the wing (obviously JJ) or a forward with a great first touch who can create options (PAUL HEFFERNAN, MR IRVINE) by holding the ball up properly. My 'properly' I mean keeping the ball for long enough for deep players (which Wednesday have too many have) to get into attacking positions, not allowing the big lad at the back to lump it 70 yards in the hope that Morrison (who is NOT a target man) or Mellor (who wants the ball in front of him, facing goal) to make it stick.

4. Players need to be up for the game. All too often this season we've been a goal/two goals down before we've even got started. One of the advantages of League One compared to the Championship is that you shouldn't get punished so much for making the odd error - but we must be having 10 defensive wee wee tail-ups per match at present.

In none of these 4 points does Mr Irvine score highly.

Irvine out please, Mr Mandaric.

Agree with all of those points.

Regarding the 3rd point. Heffernan is exactly the man we need. As you say a clear link between midfield and attack, playing in the "hole", the same hole that you see Hansen and Shearer bang on about on MOTD, and how crucial it can be to scoring goals and winning. Heffernan gives much more support to the midfield by coming short for JOC, who basically has to pass it 5 yards each time. Simple football. Effective football. Football that would get us out of this league. Heffernan links up play with the wingers superbly, spreading a simple ball out wide, breaking into the box ready for a cross. This football works Alan. Yet you proceed with picking Morrison who like above said isn't a target man at all.

For the Heffernan reason alone I don't think AI should be manager of Sheffield Wednesday. His treatment of Heffs has been a disgrace.

Exactly.

Oh, and another couple of points.

5. If you're not going to play the players, don't buy them. Heffernan, Sedgwick, Jones haven't had a consistent (perhaps Sedgwick a bit luckier) run of games and the side has been tinkered with too much. Also signing Madine undermines Mellor, Heffernan and Morrisons' confidence in their own abilities, whilst what does Richard Hinds have to do to be even considered? I'm more than happy with the signing of the 3 defenders but perhaps giving Hinds a run at the expense of Purse earlier on might have reduced the number of required signings if it had clicked.

6. Consistency is key. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is the cliche and for a winning team it works. Bristol Rovers should have been the point where the tide turned in our favour, not a blip in the form pattern. Confidence was sky high after that match and we should have capitalised...

I'm not interested in him learning his lessons here, bearing in mind he was sacked from a job previously and doesn't seem to have any clue since then. Or since he relegated us.

The worst mistake Strafford ever made was appointing this dour c_unt as manager.

To be fair though, I couldn't care less about lessons learned, I just want him gone.

I'm not interested in him learning his lessons here, bearing in mind he was sacked from a job previously and doesn't seem to have any clue since then. Or since he relegated us.

The worst mistake Strafford ever made was appointing this dour c_unt as manager.

To be fair though, I couldn't care less about lessons learned, I just want him gone.

That's harsh on Strafford. At the time, we were sliding down the Championship and had no money - he's probably the best we could have got. Signing him on such a long-term contract was probably a mistake though.

But don't forget, when AI started off, Preston fans were all saying that they liked him and he'd been sacked harshly. It's all very well saying he's been a disaster in hindsight, but he looked like a decent shout at the time.

That's harsh on Strafford. At the time, we were sliding down the Championship and had no money - he's probably the best we could have got. Signing him on such a long-term contract was probably a mistake though.

But don't forget, when AI started off, Preston fans were all saying that they liked him and he'd been sacked harshly. It's all very well saying he's been a disaster in hindsight, but he looked like a decent shout at the time.

Absolute Bullshit.

There were loads on here complaining about his appointment, to the point the chairman at the time came on here calling people trolls.

And which Preston fans? I've got a thread on the Preston forum about Irvine and its pretty much all negative.

Strafford takes the plaudits for the good, he even took the plaudits for getting Milan involved, so don't try and distract from the rumbleing garbage steering our club to a midtable finish.

The worst manager in my lifetime.