Flag Poles

On all the main roads around the stadium there are flag poles owned by the club, they were erected and used during Euro 96. Imagine that on a match day, Wednesday flags on every pole, would certainly build an atmosphere around the ground

Guest jimmyowl77

On all the main roads around the stadium there are flag poles owned by the club, they were erected and used during Euro 96. Imagine that on a match day, Wednesday flags on every pole, would certainly build an atmosphere around the ground

I thought the council owned them as they are on council property?

I thought the council owned them too.

And yes, they were there for '66!

I would love to see them painted and flying flags, though - the club get flags for the top of the North stand, it'd be good if they (or someone) could arrange to put some on the Penistone Road Poles somehow.

Guest wolfe tone

a bit like nuremberg, maybe, no ?

Posted Image

it's the way forward.

Yes,

The flag poles were indeed erected in 1966 for the world cup finals. There were originally 12 poles outside Hillsborough and 12 in the Wicker central reservation, one for each of the countries in the World Cup finals. I believe the cost was shared between FIFA, the FA and Sheffield City Council.

In 1996, I had a meeting with Graham Mackrell, at the time Secretary of Sheffield Wednesday and also appointed Secretary for Euro 96, and suggested that the flags outside Hillsborough should be repaired, painted and re-used for Euro 96. That was done, the number of flag poles changed and and the cost was shared ( I think) between Sheffield City Council and EUFA.

The English way is to have the flag poles, allow the white paint to peel, and never to raise a flag.

Be honest, it is what we expect and it is what we really believe in.

Let the flag poles continue to decay with traditional English grace!

By God, THAT is what makes us superior to all other nations!