Footballers These Days Are Just Athletes

Kopparberg

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I’ve been saying this for years 

It’s systematic football these days. Players have 0 ability to express themselves on the football pitch anymore. It’s not about your ability, but how well you fit into that system and carrying out a job in that system 

People are just blind to it, or have just become too used to the new way of playing that they haven’t noticed 

But it sucks and we’ll never have old football back 

it's definitely a worse game to watch. I blame the pitches. They're too good and it's made the game worse, bizarrely 

On 15/12/2023 at 16:04, Alb1owl said:

I mentioned Grealish in the other thread about England. 

Imagine a winger from the 90s playing like he does. I don’t recall ever seeing him skip past a man or two, he just saunters forward to allow his side of the pitch to be reinforced before passing the ball backwards and inside. So dull. 

Can only dream of a player with the freedom and dribbling skills of Waddle, or even a player like Steve McManaman!

I went to watch West Ham vs Man City a few weeks back. Doku for Man City was incredible at dribbling - much better than Steve McManaman.

There are plenty of other good dribblers in the Premier League - Mitoma at Brighton, Bukayo Saka, Eze at Palace, etc. 

On 15/12/2023 at 15:13, FreshOwl said:

As soon as you started asking wingers to track back, was when football started to decline 

Couldn’t agree more.

Weve gone from wingers who were asked to do tricks and run and beat a man to the Grealish style turn around pass back.

Most games are boring to watch now unless you’re invested in one of the sides playing.