Pubs For Charlton Game

14 hours ago, Badger57 said:

Do you need to buy a travel ticket when using the Thameslink or do you just do contactless?.

contactless is 300% cheaper than tickets but on my last 2 trips this season it wouldnt work for me even though i tried 3 different bank cards all used before for other things contactless 1 card was someone who i was with , the ticket lady was next to us so we wernt thick and didnt know how it works ,she had no idea either , maybe its just halifax cards . ended up walking one way for 30 mins rather than be fleeced by a paper ticket price. 

For those that don't know London well, there is a direct train from St Pancras to Charlton. They're every half an hour and take 32 mins. As they aren't run by TFL, you can drink alcohol on them and they are usually 8 carriages - so loads of space. Always use contactless and don't forget to tap out when you get to Charlton. May cost you more if you don't.

If anyone is feeling adventurous or brave, you could get the Elizabeth Line to Woolwich, walk across the road to Woolwich Arsenal station and it's two stops to Charlton. Doing it that way beats the crowds on the way back. There will be massive queues for the London Bridge platform at Charlton station after the match. The other side of the station (heading to Woolwich and Abbey Wood) will be empty. Some rough boozers in Woolwich, as it's a total dump, but they are cheap and I've never had a problem there or seen any bother. Spoons is safe enough and is much cheaper than its central London versions. Gutted I couldn't get a ticket.

• Like 1