Under 21's line up for the first match of the season today

23 minutes ago, Mike Bassett said:

The U18 squad list on the OS has been updated, new players Jake Bradford and Mario Boboa are listed but I'm guessing there are more to come as first year scholars. 

Jake Bradford is a 2nd year scholar. He missed all last season with injury. I remember on a pre season photo last summer he was on his crutches. Must have been a bad injury. Jenson Whitham missed all his two scholarship with injury and others have missed the majority of a year of their scholarship last 2 or 3 years.  The academy players seem to be suffering with the club jinx as well.

13 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Another 17yr old, he doesn't turn 18 until November

He has yet to play competitively at U21 level but watching the first game of the season from the bench suggests he'll get

his chance soon enough   :biggrin:

I'm expecting one or two others to shine this season ... Jay Glover,  Leojo Davidson and of course Pierce Charles

I think consistency in matchday squad selection will be the key

That's a luxury Neil Thompson and Lee Bullen before him have been denied ... up until now?

God I hope so.

• Like 1

Our record at U18 level has been generally good for five of the past six seasons

Selecting a starting XI from a core squad of 15 - 18 players helps develop teamwork etc

Players benefit individually and progress together as a group

Over recent years the situation with our U23s has been the total opposite

It was good that nine of our youngsters managed to spend time away on loan, but how to fill the gaps they leave behind?

Trialists?  U18s stepping up perhaps before they're ready?

Then there are senior players either coming back from injury or being made to drop a level as punishment for poor form

Last season we had 55 players turn out for the U23s which sounds crazy over a 23-game season

There's no wonder results were rubbish and the players who suffered the most were those who had previously stepped up

from the U18s and would now struggle to find form and consistency at their own level

It seemed inevitable that most would be released,  but it's a recurring situation

I hope Neil Thompson can identify his own core squad of 15 - 20 players this season and work with them

Build confidence within a team that performs well and wins games

Then we might have a better selection of young players ready to step up to 1st team contention

• Like 2