Under 21's line up for the first match of the season today

23 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Full time

What a win for the U21s.

Despite having to play the entire second half with 10 men, the Owls claim maximum points after Agbontohoma's late winner.

A real gutsy effort.

Everyone played their part.

A tremendous way for Neil Thompson's side to kick off the season.

Fantastic result by all accounts - well done to Neil Thompson and the boys

Our first opening game victory at this level since 2018

You’ll see an improvement now Thompson has the reigns again. Goals for Cook and Agbontohoma are a thumbs up for our recent recruitment for this level.

• Like 1

Top work by Dom Howson !

About time We get decent coverage of underage football, hopefully first of many.

Great win by the lads and excellent start to the season, should do a lot for their confidence.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

And a full report with photos already on the Club's web site.  Things are looking up!

Really good coverage.

From Dom Howson's detailed coverage, to the game report on Official site, to quality of photos, urgency of getting article uploaded...

Very happy with work done by everyone involved. Terrific start to the youth season by both guys on the pitch and press following them 👏

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mike Bassett said:

Very very pleasing result and interaction from the club. Great to see.

can anyone confirm if Sesay lined up on the left of a back three in a 3-5-2 or did we play 4-3-3 with Al-Jahadmy Cook and Cadamarteri up top? 

Howson wrote that We played 3-5-2 like first team usually play.

Sesay played CB with Aguas and Fusire at wing back and Al-Jahadhmy as attacking midfielder behind Cook and Cadamarteri.

Pity there wasn't a bit more notice given by the club that the game was on but a good result. Since they started playing at Stocksbridge the results have largely been terrible (I've seen them lose 4 games there with a combined score of 13-4).

The next home game for the lads at Stocksbridge is apparently Friday 19th so a good excuse to start the weekend early. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

Pal of mine said Cadamarteri looked average at best, new lad Cook got a decent turn of pace 

We have to bear in mind he only turned 17 in May and although he definitely looks the part he was probably up against older

and more experienced players today

Also, this was only his fourth competitive start at this level

The academy staff clearly think he's ready to make the step up but perhaps the odd game with the U18s would be good for

his confidence?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

We have to bear in mind he only turned 17 in May and although he definitely looks the part he was probably up against older

and more experienced players today

Also, this was only his fourth competitive start at this level

The academy staff clearly think he's ready to make the step up but perhaps the odd game with the U18s would be good for

his confidence?

Also the majority of his work today was defensive as that’s how we had to play. 

I want him involved in the pizza cup games this year but we have to give him game time at the highest level to progress. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I want him involved in the pizza cup games this year but we have to give him game time at the highest level to progress. 

So do I, but he'll only deserve the chance by performing consistently week in week out at PDL level

The Bradford game might come too soon

Who knows,  Luke Cook could jump the queue  :mellow:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

So do I, but he'll only deserve the chance by performing consistently week in week out at PDL level

The Bradford game might come too soon

Who knows,  Luke Cook could jump the queue  :mellow:

Exactly right. 

Really want Rio Shipston to get a chance too but he’s currently not making the under 21 starting 11

The full programme of fixtures for First Team, Development Squad and U-18s  are easy to find on the Club's website, together with k.o. times.  Hope we are going to be allowed in at Middlewood Road to see the Academy side, this was taken away from us last season because of the covid situation.

8 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Really want Rio Shipston to get a chance too but he’s currently not making the under 21 starting 11

Another 17yr old, he doesn't turn 18 until November

He has yet to play competitively at U21 level but watching the first game of the season from the bench suggests he'll get

his chance soon enough   :biggrin:

I'm expecting one or two others to shine this season ... Jay Glover,  Leojo Davidson and of course Pierce Charles

I think consistency in matchday squad selection will be the key

That's a luxury Neil Thompson and Lee Bullen before him have been denied ... up until now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Bassett said:

The U18 squad list on the OS has been updated, new players Jake Bradford and Mario Boboa are listed but I'm guessing there are more to come as first year scholars. 

In fact, since this morning the full list is now updated. Welcome to all the new scholars and best of luck at the club. 

• Love 1