Depends what they mean by scrapping it, they could follow chesterfield's route, run it as a cat 4 and play grassroots and charge parents for the pleasure?

Use that to fund u18 and u23.

I can't see them scrapping it full stop. Maybe that move to a more community based model, that provides a pathway (all be at a paid for one), might be better.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 2

Guest wilyfox

Would be a mistake, in my opinion. With changes to work permit rules, signing foreign players will be far more unlikely. The need for homegrown production will be greater than ever as domestic prices soar.

For me the academy going would be a short sighted move. Like the rest of the club, our academy needs restructuring to make it more efficient.

it needs to start paying for itself a bit more. IMO the way to do that is by integrating players more regularly into the 1st team before selling them if not suitable for the 1st team. Also need to start loaning them out more often as well.

Man U used to be experts at this..... they would give academy kids opportunities in the 1st team to raise there profile......then sell for vastly inflated prices compared to selling them being total unknowns. 

sadly we tend not to do this. We hoard players until age 20/21/22 then allow them to leave for free.