Surely if we get relegated, having a well-functioning academy would be more important than ever?

The step up from academy football to League One is smaller than jumping straight into Championship football, and we could already have some youngsters on our books capable of making a decent contribution at that level.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but closing the academy would seem like a very short-sighted move to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be fair with how bad we are at utilising it, and the poor reputation it’s apparently got, scrapping it probably isn’t a bad idea. 

The good people who work in it can hopefully move on to pastures new where their efforts are rewarded by players in the first team. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I have heard that, should we be relegated, we will be scrapping the academy. I trust the source, although of course they themselves may have been misinformed (lied to).

Is that because we will need them all for the first team? 

• Haha 1

Interesting.

Depends why we are doing it - if its only happening if we go down then it suggests its financial rather than strategic which is obviously more worrying.  However there have been threads on here over the years about doing away with it as a positive move anyway in response to how the EPPP is structured, which funnels anyone half decent to the Cat 1 clubs for derisory compensation packages (I don't know if this has changed, it was a while ago now).  I think Birmingham announced the other week they were scrapping theirs, only to backtrack a day later and say actually they were going to go for Cat1 status instead. 

• Like 1

Didn’t do Brentford any harm. Not really helped us a deal. Two decent players in ten years and both of them taken forvsweetfuckall. The academy system is so skewed for the big clubs I do wonder if we should save the money and scout premier league releases better. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Didn’t do Brentford any harm. Not really helped us a deal. Two decent players in ten years and both of them taken forvsweetfuckall. The academy system is so skewed for the big clubs I do wonder if we should save the money and scout premier league releases better. 

To be fair we need to be doing both in my book. 

Premier league sides sometimes let under 18s go that they deem not good enough. That if not yet capeble of championship football yet, would top up the under 23s as hopefully improve.

Didnt we pick up dowado, Roberts and West from premier clubs along with bashiru and the lad from Everton.? 

13 minutes ago, Plonk said:

One club out of 72, not a very good advert.

Also, don't Brentford have a sister club in Italy or some where to feed them?

Lastly, how many players of similar standard from EU will they be able to bring in now?.

4 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

To be fair we need to be doing both in my book. 

Premier league sides sometimes let under 18s go that they deem not good enough. That if not yet capeble of championship football yet, would top up the under 23s as hopefully improve.

Didnt we pick up dowado, Roberts and West from premier clubs along with bashiru and the lad from Everton.? 

This

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

This

Exactly and even though everyone goes on about the pigs academy having a better reputation than ours. 

For me though a lot of their success has come from picking up former Premier league youth players and improving them, from the likes of brown (I despise that & £#@) and tong to the lad lundstrom. 

We've struggled to do this since the days of whelan and brunt. 

33 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Though it’s two in the last couple of seasons It would seem odd that we make this decision, at a time when the academy is starting to produce That we will probably get little or nothing for those two players, is down to the ineptitude of those responsible for dishing out the contracts As for us following the Brentford model, that would need us to take a totally approach towards signings. For example, something I’ve mentioned previously, Brentford would never have played Fletcher ahead of Joao. In fact they would never have signed a player like Fletcher. How would some of our fans have reacted to that?

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Didn’t do Brentford any harm but Brentford have a much better scouting system and transfer philosophy than us.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Brentford had the moneyball system in place to negate the need for an academy

We don't

19 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Brentford had the moneyball system in place to negate the need for an academy

We don't

Haven’t you heard? We’re replacing it with the Paixao Academy of Excellence! Sign young players for huge fees, they never play and then they leave for nothing.

It’s genius.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Haven’t you heard? We’re replacing it with the Paixao Academy of Excellence! Sign young players for huge fees, they never play and then they leave for nothing.

It’s genius.

Sounds like it can be run in conjunction with "sign aging journeyman on ludicrous wages who also leave for nothing plan" 

Maybe we got a buy one get one free from this Paixao fella, he's so benevolent and caring

• Like 1