Bannan and Hutchinson

Just now, markg said:

Hutchinson came back and played well in defence. Steadied it, organised and we got some better results. He then got moved in to midfield. It has happened with him a lot in his Wednesday career. He gets moved to midfield because we don't have any better options. 

Which comes full circle to our poor recruitment. We have relied on a midfield that wasn't good enough five seasons ago. There have been ample opportunities to have recruited better midfielders since then but we missed the boat and watched as other clubs recruited better and progressed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OwlsItGoing said:

i just cant believe were still offering contracts to players that are past their best and are into their thirties, Bannan was a good player but hes past his sell by date and another player we wont get a transfer fee for where as players like shaw which are the future arent being tied down as possible future assets to sell. The club doesnt seem to learn from its mistakes 

They’re not past their sell by dates 

The issue is playing them in CM together 

Hutch is a sweeper or CB, or he doesn’t play 

Guest wilyfox

We rely too heavily on Bannan to run the show, and Hutchinson was always better in defence. Can still be influential, but Thompson chopping and changing doesn’t help.

As many fans keep saying, we have needed a box to box strong midfielder since Hull. It was obvious back then and has remained obvious every since. We had 3 good central midfielders - Lee, Bannan & Hutch, but all 3 had their flaws. Often Carlos played Bannan wide, realising he was creative but wasn’t box to box and only Lee was capable of that (but lacked strength and obviously his injuries then hampered his career). Hutch and Bannan rarely get into the oppositions box and Bannan rarely gets back into our own in open play, so we have 2 midfielders who just don’t get around the pitch enough. In some games that will still work, because they are decent players, but in plenty it won’t and there isn’t much quality around them. For me Hutch has to play in defence or not at all, sadly we haven’t got anyone up to playing next to Bannan. Joey works hard but isn’t even League 1 standard for me, another who rarely gets into the opposition box (averages 1 goal every 40 games or so) and Luongo is rarely fit (averages a goal every 10 games or so). 
We all know recruitment has been awful in recent years and I regularly read things like “why can’t we recruit like Brentford”. There have been times when I think we have, we’ve looked at the stats, worked out what we need and then recruited exactly the opposite. Need more goals, pace and height in the side, especially up front, let’s sign up small slow non scoring attackers that don’t even have a best position (Windass, Kachuga, Paterson and Marriott tick most of those boxes). Most of us agreed we needed to clear the decks and get fresh blood in, hungry players etc, we’ve cleared the decks and brought in players who have added pretty much nothing to the team.