Why do our players rarely improve?

4 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

I get your point, but my point is more geared towards why do our players go downhill when leaving us.Sorry the thread title could be better. Plenty of clubs don’t sell often to higher divisions, but I can’t imagine many clubs players plummeting down the leagues when they are released.

They are rubbish before they join, we get the best out of them, they leave and revert to rubbish therefore creating the illusion they go downhill...

Just now, slinger208b said:

They are rubbish before they join, we get the best out of them, they leave and revert to rubbish therefore creating the illusion they go downhill...

Don’t know about you, but I think quite a few in the last 20 years have been pretty rubbish to watch.

If we get the best out of them, surely they would sign for premier league sides and stay at championship level. Rather than signing for league 1/2/national league sides or retiring.

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, briggowl said:

In what way is it not the clubs fault? 

Once here, it comes down to what the players make of themselves. They all receive certified coaching. The facilities are there. The opportunities are there. The club must work hard to attract better talent, but graft is down to the individual.

2 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Don’t know about you, but I think quite a few in the last 20 years have been pretty rubbish to watch.

If we get the best out of them, surely they would sign for premier league sides and stay at championship level. Rather than signing for league 1/2/national league sides or retiring.

I didn't suggest they have been good to watch or that the best out of them was premier league level, just offered a theory in reply to a comment which you failed to include thereby taking my point out of context...

5 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Once here, it comes down to what the players make of themselves. They all receive certified coaching. The facilities are there. The opportunities are there. The club must work hard to attract better talent, but graft is down to the individual.

But there must be a significant factor which determines our players generally speaking, don't improve to fulfil their potential and again, generally speaking, seem to decline!

We don't have it in our culture to develop players and never have. We want them to be "good enough" right now. We sign 'established' players "who can handle playing for a big club" and we are so used to slagging them off for not living up to expectations that we do the same with kids when they get a chance.

If expectations of what we are likely to achieve are lowered (sounds like we might finally be accepting this) then we might be prepared to accept that it takes time for players to develop.

Just look at the keepers. They are getting so much flak despite playing just over a season's worth of games each. They may not be "good enough" right now but they will get better the more they play.

• Like 1