Why do our players rarely improve?

33 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Why is it always the club's fault? Players train and perform for themselves first & foremost. They are responsible for their own careers. For a number of years we didn't invest in youth development. It's slowly coming back, but takes time to build and gain reputation. As for the seniors, injury plays a part - so does age and motivation. 

Other clubs seem to manage it though.

Are they just lucky to get motivated injury resistant players and we're unlucky?

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

Other clubs seem to manage it though.

Are they just lucky to get motivated injury resistant players and we're unlucky?

Other clubs didn't shelve their academies. We did. 

Guest wilyfox
Just now, Rev Owl said:

So then it is the club's fault.

It's the clubs fault for not being able to attract better talent. It's the players themselves that are here needing to take responsibility for their own careers and at least try to hit their own ceiling of potential. Many don't even do that. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

It's the clubs fault for not being able to attract better talent. It's the players themselves that are here needing to take responsibility for their own careers and at least try to hit their own ceiling of potential. Many don't even do that. 

Youll get players like that everywhere. People in all professions and walks of life are like that.

The question is, why does it seem it’s nearly everyone who walks through the doors of our club? 

One of the main reasons is our fans, too many don't have the patience, we play someone for two games and there's already posts on all social media stating he's not good enough etc Look at Morgan Fox as a prime example, took that much flak he's off!

Dom Iorfa, remember reading the reviews from Ipswich when we signed him they were poor reads, fans had already written him off, we've given him first team football in his natural position for a year and he's flourished, yes odd couple of mistakes here and there but that happens in football.

We've got this attitude hanging over our club of expectations etc when we've done absolutely nothing for the past 20 years!!!

It's time we started giving players a chance and not writing them off after 3 games into their Wednesday career.

• Like 3

Even players such as Reach and Lees who when we brought in were regarded by most as young, English talents with the scope and potential to go quite far in the game. Both have stagnated and can’t be thought of as anything more than bang average championship players. See it far too often at Hillsborough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robowl4life said:

They do improve... when they roger off somewhere else.

Who?

Thats the point. Nearly all of em go one direction and it’s down.

Whelan, Brunt and Antonio are the only ones I’d say just kept improving. 

I wouldn’t class Vardy as one of ours either.

6 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Who?

Vardy?

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Vardy?

He wrote players get better when they leave us. So I pointed out Vardy got better after leaving us but I wouldn’t class him as being a wednesday player as he was released as a youth player. 

Just getting it in before someone used it as an example is all.

12 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Who?

Why not Vardy? Does that suit your argument? 

If they’ve played for us and moved on to better things then surely that’s the point. So Josh Onomah and Hector, both gone on to better things of recent times. Although they’re probably not allowed as they were only on loan.

George Hirst... playing for Leicester’s first team now in the Premier League. 
Remember Grant Holt, he was utter horse shiiite for us but went on to Norwich to do alright. 
That’s just off top of my head but I’m sure there’s more. 

I do understand where you’re coming from though.

1 minute ago, robowl4life said:

Why not Vardy? Does that suit your argument? 

If they’ve played for us and moved on to better things then surely that’s the point. So Josh Onomah and Hector, both gone on to better things of recent times. Although they’re probably not allowed as they were only on loan.

George Hirst... playing for Leicester’s first team now in the Premier League. 
Remember Grant Holt, he was utter horse shiiite for us but went on to Norwich to do alright. 
That’s just off top of my head but I’m sure there’s more. 

I do understand where you’re coming from though.

Because he left us at 15 without ever playing a game for us. The argument is we make players worse and they drop down the leagues.

I listed 20 players, a handful that have played in the prem and the rest that stuck around the championship. The rest dropped down the league pyramid or retired. 

Of course they aren't allowed. They were loans from top premier league sides. Want to include Barkley and Kenwyn Jones also? 

Did you read my op? It’s asking why only 20, yes 20 players! In 20 years have gone on to better things or stangnaged.

It’s frightening. It should be 5x that number with the transfers brought in and academy and under 23’s we sign too.

I honestly think you could pick any teams that’s played the majority of the last 20 years at this level and they would have double the amount of us at a minimum.

3 hours ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

One of the main reasons is our fans, too many don't have the patience, we play someone for two games and there's already posts on all social media stating he's not good enough etc Look at Morgan Fox as a prime example, took that much flak he's off!

Dom Iorfa, remember reading the reviews from Ipswich when we signed him they were poor reads, fans had already written him off, we've given him first team football in his natural position for a year and he's flourished, yes odd couple of mistakes here and there but that happens in football.

We've got this attitude hanging over our club of expectations etc when we've done absolutely nothing for the past 20 years!!!

It's time we started giving players a chance and not writing them off after 3 games into their Wednesday career.

Its probably true, as student guy mentioned on the previous thread, look at the crap certain players get like reach, some ppl have took against him and no matter what or how he performs, he's poo.  

Its weird, imagine your own fans detesting you so much, surely must kill your enthusiasm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Why is it always the club's fault? Players train and perform for themselves first & foremost. They are responsible for their own careers. For a number of years we didn't invest in youth development. It's slowly coming back, but takes time to build and gain reputation. As for the seniors, injury plays a part - so does age and motivation. 

In what way is it not the clubs fault?