Negative substitutes

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, you can’t legislate for Murphy’s substandard performance. That substitution was the one that might have made sense, had Murphy shown the slightest bit of interest,. Maybe Nuhiu for Fletcher then? Plus, if we had to take Bannan off, but wanted to still control the tempo, then Lee was the obvious switch

Maybe not, but on a cold night in torrential rain at times against a team managed by Neil Warnock, I wasn't expecting Murphy to come on and stretch the pitch and take the pressure off for us. 

I'm hoping Murphy can be effective but from what we have seen of him so far it didn't need hindsight to know that it was unlikely to happen in last nights game. 

I'm annoyed. I thought Monk knew better.

So we've started 4-5-1. We gave ourself a chance. We didnt go behind. In fact we went ahead! 

Having a midfield that plugged all the gaps, with 5 in the middle. So what does Monk do? 

He creates a huge gap in midfield. Bannan off, Nuhui on. For what reason? To edge ourselves further up the field? To score another goal? 

Do we have a divine right to win every game? No. 

4-4-2 since the 73rd minute is absolute suicide and I thought Monk knew better. 

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe you’ve hit the nail on the head there! My opinion was, that his substitutions contradicted what he said he wanted us to do  Maybe, as you suggest, he had given up on that idea, and was just trying to see the game out

I completely get what you mean, and only he knows I guess, that was just my read. 

From listening to him post match he was in under no illusions that it was us as a team that allowed them back into the game, although the ref was at fault he certainly didn't pin it all on him which I think bodes well for the future of us as a team!

Edited by Owls2k

When it comes down to it we didn’t take our numerous chances (as usual), if you don’t take your chances there’s always a chance you will come undone.

we were the better team overall, the subs weren’t particularly inspired - the result was very disappointing and no doubt we will be dropping down the table by the end of today’s fixtures.

If we want promotion we have to take our chances in every game :duntmatter: