George Hirst

18 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

I don't doubt what you are saying Buxton but how long ago was this? If it was before Doyen and before DH's fallout with the club, then things may have changed (hoping for a straw to clutch at!).

The actual date was 13th February 2016. Wed were playing Brentford. The time would have been between 1300 &1500 hours. The place , the Ron Springett Suite . The reason for the venue was a 30th Birthday Surprise for a friend of mine from his then girlfriend (now his wife) and his parents, and a party of 10 in total. 

At the time, George was playing well in he U23's, and no mention had been made of the furore to come.  It was asked by the 'Birthday Boy', a keen Wdnesdayite who has done a little recommending to the club of youngsters he coached. It was asked directly to David Hirst, and the answer, spoken without hesitation, came directly from David (an EX hero of mine) whilst he was still employed by the club.

Everything that has happened since, bears me out on this, unfortunately.    

I would love to see another David Hirst in his pomp in a Wednesday shirt, bt have to admit, were I to be managing Wednesday, I would be happy to a) get George to sign a contract,  so that we could b) sell him on, making back some of the outlay that we have paid for him.

In my honest opinion, NO PLAYER is bigger than the club, and, if they don't want to play, are better off gone than upsetting those wh are happy.

• Thanks 1