Fans at games abusing their own players

1 minute ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Not sure he was "absolutely shocking". You've substantiated the point of this thread even more.  He was a decent squad player (at least) in a Wednesday side that was promoted to the top flight and then finished 8th and 5th respectively in the top flight before he left in 87. He was only 20 when he made his debut and was versatile to play right wing, right back, left back and 3rd centre half in a back 3/5  The abuse he received was totally disproportionate to overall level of performance.

He left us to play for Celtic when the Scottish league was at least remotely decent, then went on to play in the top flight again for Middlesbro not to mention being an important part of the ROI that qualified for the Euros in 88 and World Cup in 90.

Well summarised

That's it in a nutshell

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Not sure he was "absolutely shocking". You've substantiated the point of this thread even more.  He was a decent squad player (at least) in a Wednesday side that was promoted to the top flight and then finished 8th and 5th respectively in the top flight before he left in 87. He was only 20 when he made his debut and was versatile to play right wing, right back, left back and 3rd centre half in a back 3/5  The abuse he received was totally disproportionate to overall level of performance.

He left us to play for Celtic when the Scottish league was at least remotely decent, then went on to play in the top flight again for Middlesbro not to mention being an important part of the ROI that qualified for the Euros in 88 and World Cup in 90.

You make some good points. However the point of this thread is fans at games abusing their own players. I’m not substantiating that point because I’m making a glib throwaway comment (partly in jest) on social media more than 30 years after Chris last played for Wednesday. 

I had a season ticket back in 84 and my recollection (though admittedly hazy) is that Morris had a torrid time. I don’t recall him playing at left back and I don’t remember Sergeant Wilko every employing ‘owt as modern as a back three. I could be wrong. 

Anyway back to to your point, Morris used to get dogs abuse. The worst I think I have seen in my time following Wednesday. For the record I never booed Chris or for that matter have I ever booed one of my own. As a 14 year old at the time I actually felt really sorry for him. 

I’m certain that the abuse he received from the stands was the main reason for his form (or lack of) on the pitch. I’m equally sure that the success he achieved later in his career is due in no small part to receiving support and encouragement from the stands at subsequent clubs and for Ireland.

BTW. I just realised I did boo Jay Bothroyd after his twitter rant