Fans at games abusing their own players

Is this a relatively new thing? I can’t really remember it happening much prior to the advent of the Internet forum. 

I hear loads giving dog’s abuse to our players home and away now - it’s seems that there is more abuse than singing at times. 

Am I correct or just viewing the past through rose-tinted glasses. 

Sheridan got booed off against Oxford at Hillsborough in 90-91; he had a below average game for his high standards. 

I think we’ve always had a fair share of morons; now the internet provides them with a voice beyond the 90 minutes on match days. 

Edited by Rogers
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, casbahowl said:

Sterland, Sheridan, Bright, Bartman to name but a few.

Unfortunately brainless, moronic insults from brainless moronic Wednesdayites have been around for a very long time, not just a new phenomenon exclusive to Owlstalk!

3 of those players could now be considered legends..Brighty scored a few and him and Hirst were brilliant. 

Just shows...

27 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Sheridan got booed off against Oxford at Hillsborough in 90-91; he had a below average game for his high standards. 

I think we’ve always had a fair share of morons; now the internet provides them with a voice beyond the 90 minutes on match days. 

Yes, I remember that. I think you’re point is a good one also. 

I can can remember one fella hurling abuse at Waddle for his first few home games. 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Is this a relatively new thing? I can’t really remember it happening much prior to the advent of the Internet forum. 

I hear loads giving dog’s abuse to our players home and away now - it’s seems that there is more abuse than singing at times. 

The internet certainly hasn't made the world a better place though... 

44 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Happens at every club and as been for years. Fans have a right to voice frustrations. If a professional player can’t handle it they shouldn’t be in the job.

If things were going well there wouldn't be a scapegoat. At the minute it changes week by week. I'm not a fan myself of abusing your own players. They like to think you have their back against opposing players and fans so when you turn on them it's not good. I guess they have the last laugh with the money they're on!

Very simplistic but some fans understand the game enough to give an informed opinion and others just.......don’t. 

Some very good players in the past that have received unjust abuse from those that fall in the latter category. The likes of Bob Bolder, Zico, Chris Morris, Shezza (one game), Brighty (incredible!), to name a few and unbelievably more recently arguably our player of the season (not hard I admit) Adam Reach. Sometimes some of our fans need to look at what a player does not what he doesn’t or can’t do. 

53 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Contageous innit? I've been on the pig boards making out I'm a united fan and helped their form by spreading a little er ... happiness their way, some of which I like to think made its way onto their pitch. But hey, what comes around goes around